RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 07-10-2012, 08:12 AM   #161
1 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
Clemson , South Carolina
I have not started a thread. I'm too busy reading everyone else's so I can figure out what I'm doing. I will get some pictures up for you soon. I'm not really good at that. My wife comes out every now and then to shoot a video so she can post it with commentary on her Facebook page. I plead with her to be kind. I have the shell gutted all except for the two interior end pieces which I may leave up. I am trying to decide which technique I want to use to lift the shell from the frame, gantry and hoist or jacks and skids. It could get exciting, LoL!

Mike
Jmcmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 09:23 AM   #162
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Jack

Your Safari looks fabulous! You really do beautiful work. I know that I need to polish mine, but I think that I may be missing the polishing gene.

I would take C lewis up on his generous offer for the aluminum receptacle cover. He sounds a bit like me- don't want to throw anything away that may come in handy some day (for me or somebody else).

Dan
TouringDan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 09:01 PM   #163
Hatari

1967 22' Safari
Gainesville , Georgia
Dan, We think alike... I did take Casey up on the receptacle offer and it should arrive tomorrow. And I'm really happy to be getting and appreciate his offer as it's more period correct than the unit I bought locally last week.

All... I took the Safari out for a shakedown ride this morning and she looked really good with her lights on in the dawn light. All went well and her manners were better than mine ( after so long since towing). She got a lot of attention this morning at Starbucks and the timing was good... Just as the sun was coming up and the swirl marks from the initial polishing didn't show much. I'll now be focusing on the Cyclo and polishing the swirl marks out this upcoming week. This is the true definition of "Endless Endeavor" but I love it.

Thanks all for the encouragement and feedback. It makes the project worth the effort more than you know.
Jack
Jack McAllis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 09:15 PM   #164
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
Beautiful job.
rodsterinfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 06:40 AM   #165
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Oxford, , Mississippi
Jack,

Looks fantastic. FYI, it took several hundred miles before the brakes on my new axles really started working like I thought they should. Once they were worn in a little they would lock up the trails wheels if I applied full voltage.
Another thing, I installed an LED bulb for the first light to come on in my fixtures and regular bulbs for the other 3. When camping with no power I can use the first position and the LED. When I need more light or when hooked to power I run all of them as needed.
68 Trade Wind
2001 Toyota Tundra
68 TWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 12:40 PM   #166
1 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
Clemson , South Carolina
Well Jack I got around to getting a picture for you. This is old 18447 sitting forlornly in my driveway. I'll definitely have to ascribe a more endearing appellation to her though at some point. That circle above the build number is an original Wally Byam Caravan Club International patch. Apparently the original owner (I think I am the third) was a club member and took it on a caravan at one point. I don't think I can save the decal when I polish it. I've decided to use the chain hoist method to lift the shell. I'll build the gantry this weekend then I have a lot of rivets to get out! It's raining every day here as I'm sure it is there so not much is moving on the rebuild front.

Mike
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1471124148.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	618.9 KB
ID:	162931   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-417522542.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	469.4 KB
ID:	162932  

Old 07-11-2012, 07:46 PM   #167
Hatari

1967 22' Safari
Gainesville , Georgia
Mike, from the photos of your Safari you posted, she looks great. Keep photos going as you progress because the documented progress will be important to you later. This is a fixation with me. Glad you showed us your Airstream...thanks. keep the photos coming.

Bruce, I appreciate the thought on the lighting. That's a great idea ( the LED) and I will make that modification too. I noticed the single bulb circuit was pretty dim too during testing using a traditional bulb. I'll also keep in mind your input on the brakes. I've put all of about 7 miles on mine thus far. Hope all is well with you.

After some 40+ hours wielding a buffer, I've had to take a break from the whirling, whining, aluminum oxide spitting device. I'm pretty close to getting the Cyclo out and doing the final polishing step but just had to take a break from that part of the project for now. I'll be back on it in a few days though and finish the polishing. In the meantime, we've had a slight break in the temp in GA today so I worked inside. I finished installing new insulation in the streeside wall and the balance of the nose and pinned those walls in with Clekos. It was during the installation of the insulation in the lower streetside nose area that I remembered there was an orifice in the outer skin for TV cable input. So, I did install a cable connection ( not sure if I'll use it) and pulled cable and ran it along the inside of the streetside wall and left a good length coiled in the event I install a TV somewhere in the living area. I am in awe of Airstream's engineering (45 years ago no less). I've been able to realign the holes in the inner walls and they will go back in exactly as they were originally installed (albeit a lot cleaner than when I removed them). I have had to trim the lower edges of the wall panels about 3/8" to be able to realign the rivet holes. I think this is because I used 3/4" ply and Airstream may have used 5/8" or some dimensional variant.

Jack

Name:	image-1429125728.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	372.6 KB
ID:	162950

TV cable input installed today. Also new stainless stone guard latches.

Name:	image-127374064.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	364.4 KB
ID:	162951

Nose and streetside walls pinned in over new insulation.

Name:	image-4033795434.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	295.2 KB
ID:	162952

I love the fact that the panels will realign with the original rivet holes including the aluminum trim. This does explain Airstream's "green" philosophy (recycling of parts, etc.).
Old 07-16-2012, 09:02 AM   #168
1 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
Clemson , South Carolina
Productive weekend!

It was a productive weekend Jack. As you can see from the photos, I lifted the shell from the frame on Sunday. You can see where a PO had the frame re-welded at the bumper to make up for the 3/4" bow in the C channel. They then welded outrigger supports to stiffen it but left the 3/4" drop in place! Pretty poor solution I think. You can also see a patch that was added behind the axel

Anyway I still have to drop all the belly skins and find a welding shop to rehab the frame. All the outriggers look good except for one but good welder will have to tell me what can and can not be rehabbed.

I'm not sure about the black water tank. The vent connection broke off while I was removing the floor. I may not be able to fix it.

I was going to PM you so it wouldn't appear as though I was hijacking your thread but I couldn't figure out how to add the photos. I will have to start a new thread to continue I guess though I'm not a consistent communicator as my wife likes to remind me.

Mike
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0049.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	274.3 KB
ID:	163236   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0050.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	314.5 KB
ID:	163237  

Name:	IMG_0051.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	279.7 KB
ID:	163238  
Old 07-17-2012, 05:58 AM   #169
Hatari

1967 22' Safari
Gainesville , Georgia
Mike,
Wow...great work getting the upper body off. Also good luck with the welding/repair to the frame. If your holding tank is like mine, it's plastic and you should be able to repair the vent tube inlet. If not, I believe Inland RV has an exact repro of this tank so if you have to, you can get a new one.

Great work.
Jack
Old 07-19-2012, 02:57 PM   #170
Hatari

1967 22' Safari
Gainesville , Georgia
Well, other than in the bath area, all the interior walls have been re-insulated and riveted in (around 220 rivets). Also have gotten all of the upper exterior seams cleaned up and re-caulked with Trempro 635 (also all the side access panels). We had a much needed hard rain in north GA day before yesterday and I only detected one minor leak at the forward smaller fixed window on the streetside. I think I just need to touch up the caulking on that window. I also caulked the upper edges of all the lights even though they're mounted on rubber gaskets just as a safety precaution. So since it is now reasonably watertight, I had the new Mannington vinyl floor installed. Now I need to think about plumbing and getting the bath roughed back in...

Jack

Name:	image-161475304.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	478.6 KB
ID:	163446
Late July 2011

Name:	image-4259376243.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	348.5 KB
ID:	163448

July 19' 2012. Walls cleaned and back in with new flooring. Now the fun should begin...
Old 07-19-2012, 03:16 PM   #171
1 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
Clemson , South Carolina
The floor looks terrific Jack! I'll have to show that to my wife as an option. A woman can never have too many options.

Mike
Old 07-24-2012, 06:47 PM   #172
Hatari

1967 22' Safari
Gainesville , Georgia
It's still hot in GA so I'm working inside until around mid-day. Since the last post the fresh water supply system is back in and successfully tested (as far as leaks at the tank and pump). Also, we had a big thunderstorm over the weekend and I sat it out inside the Safari just checking to be sure the roof seam sealing was ok. It was, had one minor leak at a window seal which I have taken care of. Note in one of the photos below, I caulked the inside perimeter where the walls and floor meet. This is in case water does get in (in a modest amount) and is intended to keep the water contained above the subfloor. Hope this test never has to be evaluated... In a previous thread, I showed photos of the new 12 volt panel made last winter. It's now in and all 12 volt circuits tested ok. This gave rise to thoughts on the old Univolt which I had originally planned to reuse. After looking at it and the efforts put into new wiring and safety, I rethought that and ordered a new transformer/charger today. Hope to have all the electrical work completed in another week or so. Since most of the interior walls are back in (only the bathroom remains to be insulated and sub-walls installed), I've been running the new A/C idea during the mornings. Seems like its going to work ok in moderately hot temps. Once the outside temperature breaks 95 or so, then it can't keep up but does keep the humidity down. Not sure what can keep things cool in an aluminum can in the sun at the high temps though...
Jack

Name:	image-4179433104.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	277.0 KB
ID:	163831

Fresh water tank has been sanitized and the system has all new hoses and copper line. There is a valve for draining and also a shut-off to keep water from flowing to the rear if needed. The tank rests on rubber mats and is held in place with rubber lined aluminum straps.

Name:	image-1296214942.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	352.8 KB
ID:	163833

The joint where the walls and floor meet has been caulked to keep any water that might get in above the subfloor.

Name:	image-1926021529.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	407.0 KB
ID:	163834

12 volt panel is in. Will be completed when the new transformer arrives next week.

Name:	image-390099444.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	320.6 KB
ID:	163835

Backside of the 12 volt panel showing attachment to floor/ wall. This and the transformer and battery will be contained under a dining bench when the interior is finished. There is an exterior service panel in this area also.

Name:	image-1755431451.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	360.9 KB
ID:	163837

Starting to play around with the A/C concept in the GA heat...
Old 07-29-2012, 08:52 AM   #173
Hatari

1967 22' Safari
Gainesville , Georgia
Then new Boondocker transformer is installed in the service area just aft of the streetside wheelwell. I ran a dedicated circuit for the A/C and the transformer is on a circuit shared only with an electrical outlet in the bathroom which will be used little I'm guessing so it's pretty much on a dedicated circuit too. The circuit that used to feed the roof A/C is still live and I plan to install a low profile overhead light where the old A/C components were on the inside. The transformer install was much easier than I'd anticipated and all circuits (120v and 12v) work fine. I did replace all the wall receptacles and that fixed the curbside receptacles as one of the old ones was burned out.

Almost ready to put the bath back in and start on cabinets...this has been a great project and education.

Name:	image-3530100847.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	378.3 KB
ID:	164089
120v panel now wired in. There are 4 circuits; wall receptacles, transformer, and overhead circuit.

Name:	image-511684596.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	371.7 KB
ID:	164090
Boondocker transformer/charger installed.

Name:	image-2902366338.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	359.1 KB
ID:	164091
12v service area. Battery will be located in the center area and all of these components will be concealed under a dining bench with access from the bench and the external service panel which already existed on the Safari.

Jack
Old 08-21-2012, 07:29 PM   #174
Hatari

1967 22' Safari
Gainesville , Georgia
Well, I exhausted the capacity to post photos on the forum...oops. Anyway, still plugging along. Anyone still following this labor of love can see the progress at this link:
http://jacksairstreamphotos.shutterfly.com/

Heading back to regular work Monday so it may slow down but she'll get finished this fall and will make a rally in the southeast soon...

Jack
Old 08-21-2012, 11:32 PM   #175
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Nice Jack, The ability to post pictures here is a pet peeve of mine. It is just absurd that step by step photos should be limited on a how to site such as these forums. After all this is supposed to be a knowledge sharing site. Please keep the pictures coming in your shutterfly account and I for one will keep following your progress. Ed
FORUMS MEMBER SINCE 12/16/2004AIR#7110
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 05:36 PM   #176
Hatari

1967 22' Safari
Gainesville , Georgia
Ed, thanks. I did try contacting Airforums administration to see if I could delete some of the older photos to make space for new ones but didn't hear back from them. It's no big deal and the Shutterfly site is easy. I'll still post progress narrative here. I do really appreciate those who've followed the Safari's progress.

This said, worked on the new cabinets this week (In anticipation of me being out of pocket starting next week). I'll post photos on the Shutterfly site.

Jack
Old 08-23-2012, 11:19 AM   #177
Shelley's cozycan

1968 22' Safari
Tonasket and Seattle , Washington
I have been watching your journey with eagerness! My 1968 Safari is beginning it's renewal and your posts have been very helpful...and a bit intimidating!

Shelley
cozycan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 06:06 AM   #178
Hatari

1967 22' Safari
Gainesville , Georgia
Shelley,
Thank you for watching this labor of love and I'm glad it's helping you. I guess you have noted that I've moved the progress photos to Shutterfly as I maxed out the image capacity on Airforums. I'm trying to find time to add captions but the photos probably tell the story ok. Built the kitchen cabinets this week and will be test fitting them today or over the weekend. I've done all the work on the Safari myself (with help from my cousin who is a professional contractor) but did get help from a very talented woodworker on the cabinet building. They look nice and I'm anxious to see them in the trailer. Will post photos on the Shutterfly page over the weekend.
Thanks again for the comments.
Jack
Old 08-24-2012, 04:45 PM   #179
Rivet Master

1992 29' Excella
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Jack you are doing beautiful work. Truly amazing.

I recently purchased a 92 Excella and I'd like to restore the emblems. I saw pics yours on page 10 and thought I'd ask what you did to get them to turn out so nice.

Pete
TV 2006 Dodge Ram 2500 Mega Cab Diesel 4x4
Re-Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 07:51 PM   #180
Hatari

1967 22' Safari
Gainesville , Georgia
Pete,
Thank you for the compliment. Besides the enjoyment of seeing the old trailer blossom, it's the feedback from many on the forum that makes these efforts rewarding. Depending on which emblems you're asking about, here is the story:
The AIRSTREAM badges above the windows (front and rear) are repro items from Vintage Trailer a supply. I tried really hard to renovate the originals but just couldn't get them like I wanted. Honestly, the ones from VTS are exact replicas of the originals and they're not too pricey and I'm happy with them.

If you were asking about the "Land Yacht" and "Safari" badges located by the door, they are the original items (serial number inclusive) and I did restore them as follows:
1. They were removed while the inside walls were out
2. The years of oxidation were removed with 0000 steel wool to the point they were more or less clean metal. Then washed them with soap and water. Dry them down with denatured alcohol.
3. I sprayed them with Rustoleum Sail Blue paint.
4. Then adhered 2000 grit sand paper to a piece of glass (for a perfectly flat surface) and sanded the high points /faces laterally to achieve a horizontal grain/polished look leaving the recessed areas ("Land Yacht and Safari") blue.
5. When the paint is good and cured, the recessed lettering needs to be washed with soap and water with a toothbrush to remove any paint and sanding residue. Dry the parts thoroughly.
6. They were then clear coated with Rustoleum gloss clear coat to preclude future oxidation.

It's a little work but the result is a factory like-new plaque. This was the kind of work I did on those rainy afternoons when I couldn't do much else on the Safari. I'm a big believer in the details so from my vantage point it was time well spent.

Hope this helps.

Jack