RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 08-13-2011, 08:26 PM   #41
2 Rivet Member

2006 19' International CCD
Hatboro , Pennsylvania
Wow ... looks great , good luck with her
kipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 11:08 PM   #42
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Crossover tube

Jack, I got the crossover tube today. Just as I thought it is a reinforced rubber hose. However I don't believe it has any asbestos content unless the cording is that adds the (PSI) strength to this hose. I will get it to my friend Monday to see what he can come up with to replace it with on the furnace. I think a sealed duct pipe with a Calcium-Silicate pipe insulation and some duct wrap will do the trick as a viable and much safer replacement. We'll see what he thinks as heating is his forte'. As long as the ends can seal against fume leaks into the trailer it should be fine. Thanks again, Ed
FORUMS MEMBER SINCE 12/16/2004AIR#7110
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 07:41 AM   #43
Murphree's_Law

1967 22' Safari
1966 26' Overlander
Mt. Holly , North Carolina
Cross over tube

Hi Ed. I have the same problem as Jack with the crossover tube for my furnace. Do you think your friend would make an extra one for me too. Of course I will pay him for whatever it cost and his time but if he can make something much safer than what is there now, I would be forever grateful. Thanks, Brett Murphree, 67 Safari
bamurphree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 08:17 AM   #44
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Hilltop Lakes , Texas
Factory crossover tube replacement

FYI, here's a picture of the factory's replacement for the original crossover tube on the old furnace. I was lucky, and some PO had the mod done while parts were still available from the manufacturer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Airstream Furnace 006.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	283.2 KB
ID:	137516  
mimiandrews is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 10:42 AM   #45
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
crossover tube

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimiandrews View Post
FYI, here's a picture of the factory's replacement for the original crossover tube on the old furnace. I was lucky, and some PO had the mod done while parts were still available from the manufacturer.
mimiandrews, Good for you! Mine was completely gone. Perhaps a PO found it deteriorated and removed it only to find they couldn't get that factory mod any longer. What material is it made from? Is it just a newer piece of reinforced rubber hose like the original? Inquiring minds want to know! Thanks, Ed
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
Old 08-15-2011, 10:47 AM   #46
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Crossover tube

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamurphree View Post
Hi Ed. I have the same problem as Jack with the crossover tube for my furnace. Do you think your friend would make an extra one for me too. Of course I will pay him for whatever it cost and his time but if he can make something much safer than what is there now, I would be forever grateful. Thanks, Brett Murphree, 67 Safari
Brett, I will be taking the crossover that Jack sent me to my friend later today. I guess the biggest issue to replacing these is sealing on the ends to prevent fumes leaking back into the trailer from the combustion chamber. Once he has that dealt with I will see if he can make more of them up. I will keep you in mind as we go forward with this "fix". Ed
Old 08-16-2011, 05:08 AM   #47
Murphree's_Law

1967 22' Safari
1966 26' Overlander
Mt. Holly , North Carolina
Thank you Ed. I still have the old one however it is in two pieces. It looks like it was made of rubber hose similar to a radiator hose. Since this is only cool air that passes through, would a radiator hose still work? Thanks, Brett
bamurphree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 10:54 AM   #48
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Brett, I think it is bigger/thicker walled than a standard radiator hose. It would work fine as the real trick is sealing against fumes. The more permanent fix I'm seeking is something that will stand the test of time and not deteriorate. Ed
Old 08-16-2011, 06:27 PM   #49
Hatari

1967 22' Safari
Gainesville , Georgia
Brett,
Ed is right...I restore cars as the other "passion" and the crossover tube I sent him has the look of a radiator hose but it's bigger and definitely of a different compound than an auto radiator. But, I also think that today's rubber technology will solve the "test of time" concern that Ed references. I think you guys will find a hose in an acceptable diameter with some silicone in the compound (used in turbo connections). But, that's just a bystander's opinion...good luck. I'll be back in the bullet this weekend. That bath area has to come out so I can get a real floor in her and start on making ready to travel next year!
Jack
Jack McAllis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 01:32 AM   #50
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Jack, Keep us updated and remember pictures! As it has been said... "A picture is worth a thousand words". I don't totally agree with that in all cases but "aluminum voyeurs can't be choosers"! LOL! What can I say... I live for the pics! Thanks again, Ed
Old 09-10-2011, 06:12 PM   #51
Hatari

1967 22' Safari
Gainesville , Georgia
Hi again all...
I've been traveling pretty much since my last post but was able to get back in the Safari today and have almost finished the interior demolition. Now I'm ready to tackle the subfloor and fender well replacement (my molded interior well covers are pretty much toast). I saved every and all pieces that may be needed for templates to re-make bulkheads and walls. Looks like I'll be replacing about half of the subfloor or maybe just go ahead and replace all of it so the Airstream can outlast me before the next restoration is needed. I did find the AC wiring that had been elusive up to now...but, have other plans for AC vs using the original unit. I do plan to leave the original unit attached to the roof (and will get the shroud reattached) for period correctness. Some photos from today's work are attached. The cooler weather in GA makes this work nice...
Jack
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	toward bath.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	244.0 KB
ID:	139886   Click image for larger version

Name:	whatamess.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	275.0 KB
ID:	139887  

Name:	toward bow.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	261.0 KB
ID:	139888   Click image for larger version

Name:	almost gutted.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	281.8 KB
ID:	139889  

Old 09-18-2011, 09:53 PM   #52
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Jack, Same here! I'm up in Wisconsin at a nuke plant outage working so little has been done on the 'stream! Never got a reply from Mimi so not sure what the factory mod part was made out of.... Kinda looks to be a metal tube with some sort of adjustable collar. Oh well, I'll see what my friend comes up with when I get back home around Halloween. Looks like you are making progress and I definately would replace the entire floor. Keep the photos coming as you go along. good luck. Happy Trails, Ed
Old 09-19-2011, 06:19 PM   #53
Hatari

1967 22' Safari
Gainesville , Georgia
Hi Ed,
I am definitely going to remove/replace all of the subfloor and started on that work for a while yesterday (but didn't get too far along). I had hoped to only replace the floor in the bath area but after looking closer, I'd be making a mistake to not do the whole floor while I have everything out of the Safari. I found a local guy that will refinish all my bath fixtures and I will re-use all of them and re-install the bath as it came from Airstream. I've had some fiberglass restoration-finish experience with my car hobby so I'll do a lot of the glass repair and touch up in advance of turning the pieces over to the finish guy. I need to find fender wells, however. One of mine is missing and the other is all but missing. I also found a solution to my A/C and heat challenges...I'll share that with the forum a little later. I'm going to disconnect all the wiring (near the floor), put a temporary light set in the trailer for working light, and go after that plywood with reckless abandon.

As previously mentioned, I've been heads down with work stuff for the past 2 months. I did take a short break with my daughter and son-in-law over labor day weekend in Rosemary Beach, FL. Neighboring Seaside has a series of old Airstreams set up as food vending stops...I know some don't approve of the use of the trailers for this stuff but I'll say that they are a great draw and very nostalgic.

Photos to follow...cooler weather is here so it's easier to work inside...

Jack
Old 10-01-2011, 05:34 PM   #54
2 Rivet Member

1949 18' Trailwind
Upland s/n 5060 , California
Route 66 Decor

Hey Jack,

Sorry to hear your Safari time has been limited but completing the demo is quite an accomplishment. I admire you for taking on the project yourself.

Your planned use of Route 66 wallpaper inspired me to look for Route 66 fabric which could be made into curtains for the front and rear windows. There must have been ten different Route 66 designs to choose from. We picked a design with many iconic themes on a black background (see attachment) which will coordinate will with the tan (with specks of black) fabric of the couch.

We are coming into the home stretch for completing our '49 Trailwind restore, hopefully in about two weeks. Although we are having the work done you can't believe all the decisions that had to made in a complete restoration (or maybe you will soon). The interior consists of polished aluminum, re-varnished original wood, a new horseshoe couch with a toilet under on of the cushions (the original trailer did not have a bathroom and there was no other place to put it), a new fridge (originally there was a combo sink/ice box which we retained but now it only serves as a sink and storage) and hardwood floors. The decision on the Route 66 curtain material was (hopefully) the last decision we have to make. If you are interested in seeing pictures of the project look either at my gallery or the Photos - 1950s Airstream section.

Hope you get more time to continue your vision.

Tom (crzycpa)
Attached Images
File Type: bmp Airstream Fabric.bmp (960.1 KB, 64 views)
crzycpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 05:45 PM   #55
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Hilltop Lakes , Texas
Sorry

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGED52 View Post
mimiandrews, Good for you! Mine was completely gone. Perhaps a PO found it deteriorated and removed it only to find they couldn't get that factory mod any longer. What material is it made from? Is it just a newer piece of reinforced rubber hose like the original? Inquiring minds want to know! Thanks, Ed
Sorry, I just now saw this. It appears to be a metal replacement for the original rubber crossover tube. I'm not near the trailer now, and the furnace is installed and not easy to access. Can't do much better than the pictures I posted earlier.

I spoke with someone at Suburban when I was working on our furnace, and they were very certain they weren't going to provide any parts or even information on their old products. I think they have product liability issues with giving any support at all. The lady did her best to talk me into just throwing ours away.
mimiandrews is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 10:26 PM   #56
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2000 25' Excella
Kingston , Tennessee
RT 66 Fabric

I think you will love the Rt 66 fabric. I made some curtains for a client out of the lighter one. I will try to attach a picture for you to see. Good luck on the restore!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	rt 66.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	118.9 KB
ID:	141419  
https://www.etsy.com/your/listings
Silver Threads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 09:13 AM   #57
Rivet Master In Training

1965 22' Safari
Mount Airy , Georgia
Send a message via AIM to Kevo Send a message via MSN to Kevo Send a message via Yahoo to Kevo
Jack,

Very nice find, I am exited for you. She looks to be in really good shape. We are not far apart, I have a 65 Safari, and live about 30 minutes just north of you. I have been working on mine for about 3 years, please don't hesitate to reach out, I will be happy to help with anything I can. It would be neat to have somebody local to share stories with.

Kevin
Kevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 06:56 PM   #58
Hatari

1967 22' Safari
Gainesville , Georgia
Kevin,
Thanks for the message. I am familiar with Mount Airy. I'm wrestling the subfloor at this point. I had to take a break from the work for several weeks due to work related travel but got back into it for a while today. Getting the old subfloor out has proven to be more challenging than I'd anticipated...I'll post some photos next weekend.
Do you ever venture to Gainesville?
Jack
Old 10-02-2011, 07:08 PM   #59
Hatari

1967 22' Safari
Gainesville , Georgia
Tom,
I did buy enough of the Route 66 wallpaper to do the gally / living side of my bulkhead. I also sampled some fabric very similar to your choice. You're right, it's amazing how much Route 66 decor items are out there. The fabric I sampled is called tapestry. I thought about it for cushions, but after receiving the cutting, I doubt it would be durable enough... but maybe it would work on the storage bin doors (like fabric wallpaper).
Anyway, glad you found some you like and I will go look at your gallery. I'm battling the subfloor demo and spent about 4 hours in the Safari today to only remove a few square feet. I'm working from the aft forward...I do have my holding tank completely uncovered.
Jack
Old 10-03-2011, 11:13 PM   #60
2 Rivet Member

1949 18' Trailwind
Upland s/n 5060 , California
Restoration Nearing Completion.

Jack,

Thanks again for the thought of the Route 66 theme, although it will only be used for curtains. The fabric should arrive on Wednesday and go in as curtains next week. They're finishing up on the frame for the bed and already have fabric to upholster the couch. Tanks for fresh, grey and black water still have to be installed and the Trailwind gets a new axle as the finale. It's been a long seven month project but it's great to be nearing the finish line.

Glad to hear you had some time to advance your demo work.

Tom
crzycpa is offline   Reply With Quote