RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 01-23-2013, 07:32 AM   #201
Hatari

1967 22' Safari
Gainesville , Georgia
Brett,
I am planning on it...hustling to try to be mostly done by or before then. Thanks for the reminder.

Ed and anyone interested,
I posted some photos of the goucho and bench with dimensions on the Shutterfly page (same album as the existing goucho photos). Note that especially on the goucho, you may need to modify to fit your configuration. My fresh water tank is up front and I had to build the framework around it. The tank is also not dead center in the Safari widthwise due to the location of the water inlet. Thatís why the framework looks off-center but the face frame is dead on the centerline of the trailer. My goucho is 14Ē tall to the seat base. This dimension was also driven by the height of the tank. I will use 4" thick cushions on the goucho like the bench and have the backrest cushion rest on top of the seat cushion to shorten the span from back to front a little.

The bench cushions are 4Ē thick so once installed, the seating area (depth) is about normal to other dinette seats I measured. Also, I had the back cushions made to fit the gap when the table is lowered to make a berth. I have the bench drawn in AutoCad if any of you want it. Youíll have to be able to open it in AutoCad or AutoCad Viewer to read it.
Jack
Jack McAllis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 03:57 PM   #202
Hatari

1967 22' Safari
Gainesville , Georgia
Well all, I have continued toward the completion of the Safari. Other than some trim work, caulking seams (interior), and the painting of the tongue and bumpers, I'm about done. I've posted some newer photos of the interior work (keeping in mind I do have some trim left to run). The newer photos are posted on the Shutterfly page (www.jacksairstreamphotos.shutterfly.com) This photo site is not well organized and I may put up a site dedicated to the complete restoration. If I do I will let you all know where to look. I did not use the Route 66 wallpaper as planned early in these posts. But, due to this Safari's Route 66 heritage, I did use Route 66 tapestry fabric on the goucho. All the systems have been successfully tested and she's ready to travel.

Thanks to all of you offering advice, input based on experiences, and comments. I will see some of you on the road/parks this summer.

We're now focusing on my daughter and son-in-law's 1962 Airstream Tradewind. It's under way and looking good. By the way, our first grandchild is due in late May! Lot of good things happening.

Endless endeavors, right?

Jack
Old 05-10-2013, 05:58 AM   #203

1967 22' Safari
san diego , California
Just got a '67 safari. I want to replace the brakes. Can you advise on the model you purchased? I did not open mine to see what's currently there.
berti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 01:09 PM   #204
4 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
West Fork , Arkansas
welcome berti

Airstream Forums offer tons of useful advice from experienced restorers. For brakes and running gear, check out these technical sections for related topics. You may find it best to replace axle, wheels and brakes as one integrated package. One expert on this topic is Andy Rogozinske with Inland RV Center.
Consider setting up your own thread under the 1966-1968 Safari forum so those of us with the same trailer can follow your progress and offer suggestions. Members love to see photos of existing condition and later improvements.
Jim
JRF0st3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 07:07 PM   #205
Hatari

1967 22' Safari
Gainesville , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by berti View Post
Just got a '67 safari. I want to replace the brakes. Can you advise on the model you purchased? I did not open mine to see what's currently there.
Bertie,
Your Safari most likely had Kelsey Hayes electric brakes from the factory. That's what was on mine. I bought direct replacement units from a local Camping World retail store and the units were about $65.00 per wheel which I thought was a bargain for new ( not re manufactured) parts. The manufacturer is AP Products and the part number is 014-122451 for the right hand side (there are separate part numbers for left and right sides). I discarded the packaging for the left side but I'm sure the dealer can reference the number.
Hope this helps you.
Jack
Old 06-29-2015, 08:58 AM   #206
Hatari

1967 22' Safari
Gainesville , Georgia
1967 Safari Awning Question

Hi all,
It's been a while since I was here but I still have my Safari and it's seen some road trips since I was here. When I bought it, it came with an original Travel Awn 5000 awning (complete with all the hardware) but the fabric was badly deteriorated and held together with tape in places. When I did the restoration, I removed the awning and tossed the fabric but kept all of the hardware which has been thoroughly cleaned up at this point. I'm making preparations to get new fabric and reinstall the awning. Does anyone know the dimensions of the fabric when fully extended? I know my tube is 11'-7" long.
Any information will be appreciate.

Jack