Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Safari > 1966 - 1968 Safari
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-26-2012, 07:42 PM   #181
Hatari

1967 22' Safari
Gainesville , Georgia
New cabinets are roughed in and the dinette benches. No trim work done yet. Glad I saved the old parts for templates to fit things to the curved walls. Photos are posted on the Shutterfly page. Getting closer to a usable Safari!

Jack
Jacksairstreamphotos.shutterfly.com
Jack McAllis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 08:45 AM   #182
1 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
Clemson , South Carolina
Things are lookin' good Jack! I got my frame back from the welder, nice and straight. My floor was too messed up to get accurate dimensions. Do you know the actual width and length of the floor you replaced?
Jmcmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 06:23 PM   #183
Hatari

1967 22' Safari
Gainesville , Georgia
Mike,
I'm traveling for a few days but will get you some dimensions when I get back. I do know the corner radii are 20". I made a compass to strike those archs on the plywood. I'll get back to you when I'm back. There is a chance my dimensions will be different from yours since I didn't take the upper shell off...
Jack
Old 10-23-2012, 05:33 PM   #184
Murphree's_Law

1967 22' Safari
1966 26' Overlander
Mt. Holly , North Carolina
Hi Jack,
I just took a look at your Safari. It looks great. You and I shared a few notes back when you started your restoration. We both have 67 Safaris. You have certainly done a lot of work in the past year. I adire your work it is much better than mine. Just wondering it you are planning on bringing it to the Falluminum this weekend in Georgia? I hope so. I would love to see it in person. Thanks, Brett
bamurphree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 05:19 AM   #185
Hatari

1967 22' Safari
Gainesville , Georgia
Brett,
Thanks for the note. For whatever reason, the message from Airforums alerting me to your post did not arrive until this morning so I missed the event in N Georgia. I returned to the work grind at the end of August so my finishing efforts on the Safari have slowed some and I've not been as diligent about updating the progress. As of today, all the plumbing from nose to tail has been finished and tested, kitchen cabinet, dinette benches, and closets have been either built from scratch (cabinets) or re-made from the original templates which I saved (bulkhead walls). I reused the original stainless steel sink but built new cabinets with similar color laminate for the counter top. I am using Nepal Teak woodgrain laminate from Wilsonart for the bulkhead walls (facing the living area) and bench ends. I special ordered Wilsonart vintage mint boomerang laminate for the bathroom wall above the tub and the closet facing, and bath cabinet doors. It matches the Sherwin Williams aloe marine epoxy paint the the original tub and rear lower bath wall were painted with. I'm in the process on the weekends of completing the installation of the closet and bulkhead walls then installing the pocket door and closet doors. This has been tedius work due to the fact that I've had to set the walls in the aluminum channels and remove them a few times to do some contour adjustments with a belt sander. I used the original walls for templates but I think my lower walls changed shape slightly due to the thicker insulation I used between the interior and exterior. But, its coming together. I will post photos of the current status on the shutterfly page sooon and notate that here.

Thanks for the note about the Falluminum. She's registered and roadworthy and for sure will be attending some Spring events and doing some road time. Looking forward to that first night in the Safari...

Jack
Old 10-24-2012, 07:25 PM   #186
Murphree's_Law

1967 22' Safari
1966 26' Overlander
Jack,

I posted the note last night. The Falluminum Rally is this coming weekend in Hiawassi. So You haven't missed it. Hiawassi is not very far from you. If your camper is road worthy it should be there. We had a great time at the Spring Fling and I cannot expect anything less this weekend. Even if you cannot camp, please try to come just for a visit. You can stay for supper Saturday night. It is pot luck and if you want, you can be a part of the dirty Santa gift exchange ( bring a wrapped gift $10 or so). This was a bunch of fun. I really hope you can come for the weekend or just for a day visit. They do a "Open House - Tour of Homes" kind of thing around noon on Saturday. Again, lots of fun and you get to see what everyone else has done, or not done, to their campers. We are leaving tomorrow after work and will stop off in Oconee County for the night then on to Hiawassi early Friday. No membership needed. You should recognize my camper...looks just like your's before you shined it up so nice. Hope to see you there. Brett
Old 10-24-2012, 07:28 PM   #187
Murphree's_Law

1967 22' Safari
1966 26' Overlander
BTW, you must have seen my join date and mistaken it for the date of the note. I do that all the time. The date of the note is on the left side of the page. Do hope you will come for at least a visit this weekend. Promise you will have a great time. See ya, Brett
Old 10-25-2012, 05:14 AM   #188
Hatari

1967 22' Safari
Gainesville , Georgia
Brett,
Thanks for straightening me out on the date... I sent you a PM and may try to come to Hiawassee Saturday.
Jack
Old 11-21-2012, 01:26 PM   #189
Hatari

1967 22' Safari
Gainesville , Georgia
I have posted a few update photos on the Shutterfly page. In short, the bulkhead wall between the bath and living area is in along with the rebuilt pocket door. The kitchen is finished including the new cooktop, sink, and microwave (no oven this time). The cushions for the dinette are being upholstered as this being written and the Route 66 tapestry fabric curtains will be made for delivery in early January. I still have to build in the heat/air unit and the countertop above it for the fridge. Then the goucho and detail trimwork...then hopefully she's done and ready to travel. Cant wait.

I also want to take a minute and wish you all a Happy Thanksgiving and hope you all have great times with your families. Thanks to you all who have followed this labor of love and also for the comments and feedback.

Jack
Old 11-25-2012, 04:41 PM   #190
Hatari

1967 22' Safari
Gainesville , Georgia
Made a little more progress over the Thanksgiving holiday break. I remade the ends for the overhead storage bins, hung the bath closet and lav doors, and refinished the original window cornices. Upholstery for the dining benches should be ready this coming week. Curtains will be ready afer Christmas. Still have to build the cabinet around the HVAC unit and fridge stack and the front Goucho.

For anyone interested, some updated photos are at:
www.jacksairstreamphotos.shutterfly.com
Be sure to click the photos tab at the top of the landing page to view the photos.

Jack
Old 11-27-2012, 09:34 AM   #191
3 Rivet Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Fairhope , Alabama
Jack,
Your trailer is really nice and thanks for such detailed posts, they help the rest of us following in your footsteps.
RE: post 134, cleaning and polishing the window sills; what did you use to polish those with?

Thanks,
m.nolte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 05:56 PM   #192
Hatari

1967 22' Safari
Gainesville , Georgia
I had removed the window crank mechanisms because they looked bad and needed fresh grease in the internal moving parts. I ended up brushing the rust off of the mechanism covers on a bench grinder with a wire wheel. The covers are steel and the wire brush didn't etch them and removed the crud and rust. One word of advice; clear coat the steel covers if you take this step. They'll rust again fairly quickly if not clear coated. I'll end up re-doing mine because I didn't clear coat them. On the sills themselves, I rubbed them briskly with 0000 steelwool before reinstalling the crank mechanisms. They cleaned up nicely and it was pretty easy.

Hope this helps...And thanks for the comments on my Safari. It's been a very pleasing journey.
Jack
Old 12-04-2012, 05:34 PM   #193
Hatari

1967 22' Safari
Gainesville , Georgia
Closer to being home...

Picked up the upholstered cushions for the dining / mid-cabin berth. These were done by The Great Cover Up in Gainesville and they did a great job on the quality and detail. I have a lot of trim and detail work left but she's feeling more and more like home. The window trim and the upholstery makes an amazing difference. Photos of the roughed in cushions are posted:
www.jacksairstreamphotos.shutterfly.com

Note the tabs for photos and look for the most recent posts.

Jack
Old 12-04-2012, 07:43 PM   #194
3 Rivet Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Fairhope , Alabama
Cushions look great!
Old 01-10-2013, 01:41 PM   #195
4 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
West Fork , Arkansas
Jack,
Jane and I benefit from your detailed postings and the advice from other members since we are in the early stages of bringing our '67 Safari 22' back to life. I'll be removing the first piece of sub-floor soon but I know it will be a mess. Your meticulous restoration is inspiring but the prospect of such a total rebuild is still scary.
Jim Foster
JRF0st3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 06:06 AM   #196
Hatari

1967 22' Safari
Gainesville , Georgia
Jim,
Thank you very much for following the adventure. I'll be watching your progress as well and wish you good luck. I know the prospect of tearing out subflooring is daunting. But as some members here advised me, it is the best thing to do if in doubt of the integrity of the floor. I have worked on the Safari since my last progress post but not as diligently as before the holidays. I've framed up the A/C - Fridge stack and made a new dinette table with laminate that matches the countertop. It looks nice to me. I'll post photos on the Shutterfly site this weekend. After I build the face frames for that cabinetry, about all that is left (other than detail trim items) is the front goucho or whatever I install for seating/sleeping up front.

Also, I am heading to Social Circle GA in the morning to meet my son-in-law to pick up his newly acquired 1964 Trade Wind 24. He will probably start a thread in the Trade Wind section once under way. It is in good condition and the floor is solid (thank goodness).

Thanks again.
Jack
Old 01-21-2013, 03:49 PM   #197
Hatari

1967 22' Safari
Gainesville , Georgia
Getting closer...

The goucho is almost finished and one of the last big elements of the project. I have some guide work to do and have to yet install the pulls and hinges on the storage doors under the seating/sleeping area. I’m researching having the cushions/mattress made now. I made the large parts out of birch ¾” plywood and finished with Variahane waterbase stain and urethane. If any of you are going down the path of making a piece like this, I highly recommend this product. It is easy to apply and very easy clean-up (soap and water). I applied 3 coats and rubbed down each coat with 0000 steel wool, then tac ragged it before applying the next coat. I applied chrome t-nosing on the edge of the back so when being used as a couch, it has a finished appearance. Photos of the nearly completed goucho are posted on the Shutterfly page.
Jack
Old 01-22-2013, 08:30 AM   #198
4 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
West Fork , Arkansas
Jack,
I've spent good time studying each pic on your Shutterfly page and the gaucho looks terrific. Our Ohio fabricated Safari has its dinette and gaucho in the same location as yours even though floor plans in our OM do not show it there. We like it there. Unfortunately a PO rebuilt it with poor craftsmanship and probably larger than original. Could you share the overall length and width of your gaucho / dinette to the outside of the booth benches?
Thanks again,
Jim
JRF0st3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 01:36 PM   #199
Hatari

1967 22' Safari
Gainesville , Georgia
Jim,
I'll get the dimensions you asked about together and post them. The Goucho was fun...it required a good deal of thought and measuring as I did not have anything to go by. It is also a little narrower than a normal full size mattress when converted to the bed (length is close to standard). But, I think it's going to work out ok ( will be cozy for 2)!
I'll get the dims and post them maybe tonight.
Thanks for the comments.
Jack
Old 01-22-2013, 08:10 PM   #200
Murphree's_Law

1967 22' Safari
1966 26' Overlander
Hi Jack. It's look in' good!! Can't wait to see it in person. Hope you are still planning to come to the Alumalina weekend at Carowinds in March. Brett