Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Safari > 1966 - 1968 Safari
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-24-2004, 05:59 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1975 25' Tradewind
1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Lewiston , Idaho
Question installing Air, looking for advice

I can't take it any longer. it is 103 degrees and I am having air installed in my 67 safari on Monday. I am wondering if any of you have been through this process and if so what kind of issues or problems you may have had. I am adding a 20 amp breaker and running dedicated wiring to the center vent. I am removing the vent cover and the hole will be widened about 1 1/4 inches to accept the air unit. I am a bit concerned about the weight of the air unit. What else should I do ????

thanks
Flash
flash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2004, 07:14 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
installing Air, looking for advice

Greetings Flash!

Welcome to the Forums and the world of Vintage Airstream ownership!

Quote:
Originally Posted by flash
I can't take it any longer. it is 103 degrees and I am having air installed in my 67 safari on Monday. I am wondering if any of you have been through this process and if so what kind of issues or problems you may have had. I am adding a 20 amp breaker and running dedicated wiring to the center vent. I am removing the vent cover and the hole will be widened about 1 1/4 inches to accept the air unit. I am a bit concerned about the weight of the air unit. What else should I do ????

thanks
Flash
Your '67 Safari should have been wired and reinforced for air conditioning at the factory. The Air Conditioner wiring should be in the central ceiling terminated near the factory designated locataion for air conditioning which in all probability IS NOT the vent opening - - the bracing, reinforcement, and wiring for the air conditioner is found at a measurement stated from the front main bow (intersection of front dome and main roof panels). Your Airstream dealer should be able to get this measurement for your - - the opening for the air conditioner must then be cut in both the roof and the cieling. While this does creat some headaches upon initial install, it does maintain what I presume is the only ceiling vent other than the astrodome. My Airstream dealer handled the install on my Argosy and it also required cutting a new opening - - its factory air conditioner location was farther to the rear than the factory vent opening.

Good luck with your project!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2004, 07:19 PM   #3
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander64
Greetings Flash!Welcome to the Forums and the world of Vintage Airstream ownership!

Your '67 Safari should have been wired and reinforced for air conditioning at the factory. The Air Conditioner wiring should be in the central ceiling terminated near the factory designated locataion for air conditioning which in all probability IS NOT the vent opening - - the bracing, reinforcement, and wiring for the air conditioner if found at a measurement stated from the front main bow (intersection of front dome and main roof panels). Your Airstream dealer should be able to get this measurement for your - - the opening for the air conditioner must then be cut in both the roof and the cieling. While this does creat some headaches upon initial install, it does maintain what I presume is the only ceiling vent other than the astrodome. My Airstream dealer handled the install on my Argosy and it also required cutting a new opening - - its factory air conditioner location was farther to the rear than the factory vent opening.

Good luck with your project!

Kevin
Leading edge of A/C hole is 96" aft of bow #1 for the Safari.
This from my Service Manual.
Terry