RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 09-26-2003, 08:33 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Angry Electrical Problem

My wife and I bought a 1967 Safari that needs some love. Someone got inside our trailer and ax murdered the electrical system before we got it. According to the manual, the uni-volt system is supposed to be underneath the street side bed along with the battery and low voltage panel. Our low voltage panel is still there, but the uni-vault system and the battery cables are underneath the sink. There are alot of loose and capped and cut wires. The 120 volt system AC is still operative, but we cannot seem to get the exterior lights to function. Per the manual, there are two fused circuit breakers, one that is a low voltage 20 amp and one that comes thru the charge line from the car on the front road side that is a 25 amp cb. I think that one of those fuses has tripped, but I can't find it. Help, Mr. Wizards, help!!!
Old 09-26-2003, 09:30 PM   #2
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
???

When you say "exterior lights", do you mean the porch light? That is the only outside light that would be powered by the 12v system.

All of the other outside lights, (clearance, stop, tail, etc) are powered by the tow vehicle through the umbilical cable and have no connection to the 12v internal system except for a common ground. There are no fuses in these circuits.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2003, 09:58 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

electrical problem

Thanks for responding so fast!!!

None of the rear exterior lignts are working now. All the exterior lights (eventhough the housings are rusted out) worked at first except the rear street side taillight and the license plate light.We thought that they weren't working because they weren't going to ground because of the corrosion. We recieved our first shipment of parts and started changing the rear taillights and they went off completely. Unfortunately the umbilical cord housing is also cracked right where it comes up out of the hitch. I can see the wires through the sheathing. So I guess it could be that somewhere along the line we could be loosing ground?? I'm much better with AC.

thanks
Old 09-27-2003, 06:30 AM   #4
1 Rivet Member

Wink electrical problem

r2d2 pointed out to me in the schmatic wiring diagram showing the connection to trailer brakes and battery(that i haven't installed yet) that we have the theodore bargman co no. 63 bd mounted on our trailer hitch with the hot line going to the battery to complete the circut to the trailer brakes. Of course the trailer lights are not going to work without the battery installed in the trailer. r2d2 was also kind enough to point out that if they would have been consulted sooner that none of this need to have transpired.