Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Safari > 1966 - 1968 Safari
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-08-2016, 05:10 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Nauvoo , Alabama
'67 windows: how to care for them?

Again I start with a big thank you to the Forum family, for your advice has been priceless in the 67 Sovereign restoration. It has turned cold in Alabama and I have no heat in the trailer, yet when the son is shinning it gets right down hot in there. The window system is a odd one to me with all the vista windows where I found most of my leaks, to what has been called gull (?) windows that crank out and anyone walking around the trailer could run into them. What are the owners of the 66 - 68 Sovereigns doing to protect from this type of thing from happening ? With the awning out the curb side widows both become dangerous and in the way.
I have had to replace 6 windows and ya'll know that is not cheap. I need to protect the windows but only the 68 model has a thin mental strip around the edges. (2) What if anything are you doing for your windows (glass) to protect them from getting run into? (3) If I tent the windows by a pro, would that cut down on the heat coming in from the son and still hold the vintage look for those whom demand the original look of a AS? If you have tented your windows, what shade of tent did you use. (4) Would metal stripping on the 67 like the 68 take away too much from what I should keep the 67 widows looking like ? A lot of questions I know, but we love the classic look of these models of AS trailers: that to me look like modern art work in sculpting going down the American highways. THANKS
Old 01-08-2016, 06:28 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Hilltop Lakes , Texas
I also have the same windows. Usually don't open them very far, but I know I will someday when I need ventilation. My PO replaced the curbside front window with plexiglas, and I'm sure someone ran into it when it was open. I intend to put a glass window in that spot this winter. Here are a couple of thoughts as to what we might do to prevent collisions with open windows.

Attach some brightly-colored ribbon to some clothespins, and clip one or more onto the outer edge of the window when it's open. Also, a piece of one of those "noodles" they sell as swimming pool toys--split down one side to slide over the window glass. The basics of the idea is to make the window glass very visible.

Of course, it'll be one more thing to do every time you open or close a window.

I'll keep watching this thread to see what others come up with. Best of luck.
mimiandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 06:43 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Oxford, , Mississippi
I usually only open the window in the front and leave the door open and run the Fantastic Fan, which is in the back on a Trade Wind. The A frame in the front and the bumper in the rear keeps folks from walking too close to the edge of the glass. That pulls plenty of air through the trailer, even when it is really warm. By opening only the front and maybe the bathroom I have found that air flow is actually better than when I open all the windows. That said, when I am camping in really hot weather and do open the side windows I only open them a little and if I am in a "tight" campground like in the Smokies I will put a small piece of "hunter orange" duct tap on the bottom corner of each window. It may look weird but folks will definetly notice with edge of the window. Another option is to buy a couple of sticks of the foam pipe insulation that is split to go around water pipes. Cut a couple of short sections at 45 degrees and glue them back together and you will have a nice foam window corner guards.
68 Trade Wind
2001 Toyota Tundra
68 TWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 08:28 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
Long Beach , California
Hello Kathy's Quilt:

We purchased fabric and sewed it together on three sides (making a pocket). When our windows are open we slide this fabric pocket over the window, like a sock and fasten it with clothes pins. This also helps to shade the window.

It may look a bit crazy (depends on your fabric), but it works.

Enjoy the life!
helmsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 09:02 AM   #5
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathys quilt View Post
Again I start with a big thank you to the Forum family, for your advice has been priceless in the 67 Sovereign restoration. It has turned cold in Alabama and I have no heat in the trailer, yet when the son is shinning it gets right down hot in there. The window system is a odd one to me with all the vista windows where I found most of my leaks, to what has been called gull (?) windows that crank out and anyone walking around the trailer could run into them. What are the owners of the 66 - 68 Sovereigns doing to protect from this type of thing from happening ? With the awning out the curb side widows both become dangerous and in the way.
I have had to replace 6 windows and ya'll know that is not cheap. I need to protect the windows but only the 68 model has a thin mental strip around the edges. (2) What if anything are you doing for your windows (glass) to protect them from getting run into? (3) If I tent the windows by a pro, would that cut down on the heat coming in from the son and still hold the vintage look for those whom demand the original look of a AS? If you have tented your windows, what shade of tent did you use. (4) Would metal stripping on the 67 like the 68 take away too much from what I should keep the 67 widows looking like ? A lot of questions I know, but we love the classic look of these models of AS trailers: that to me look like modern art work in sculpting going down the American highways. THANKS
Replacing all the windows in a 66 to 68 Airstream, costs less than 1 {one} wrap window, which costs a little less than $ 900.00, plus the rivets and sealer.

The metal framing around the sides and bottom of the 68 windows, indeed helps a person notice that those equipped window are much easier to see that it's opened.

Yes, those metal edges can be added to the 66 and 67 windows as well.

But, silver duct tape of 1 inch wide, can be used on the edges of the 66 and 67 windows, which will also help for someone to more easily see thast it's opened.

Cut the 2 inch tape so that it's 2 pieces 1 inch wide. Place the center of the tape on the side of the glass and then fold the tape over the inside and outside of the glass.

Cheap, but it works for a long time.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 10:27 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
Oak Creek , Colorado
You can use those foam swimming pool noodles and split them length wise half q way through. Then cut to desired length and slide on bottom edge of opened window . They are really brightly colored so you can see them
Dingo Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 03:46 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
Spartanburg , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathys quilt View Post
I stopped to visit a Canadian couple with a '67 like ours at a Myrtle Beach campground several summers ago. Being Canadian they didn't have A/C but camped with all windows wide open. She had made a cover for each window out of some colorful fabric that shaded well, was fastened to the top of the window frame with Velcro, had a nice fringe hanging just below the bottom edge of the glass and a band of elastic near the bottom of the window to hold it in place against the beach winds. The color and especially the fringe made it very visible to passers by.
Jacob D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 04:49 AM   #8
NO HUMBLE OPINION

1968 20' Globetrotter
ANN ARBOR , THE GREAT LAKES
'66,'67,'68 Philips/Corning

The good news about 1967 Airstream windows is that you have a 1967 Airstream, a great year.

The architectural nomenclature for a window hinged across the top is “Awning” style. Gull is understandable.

What's nice about our windows is that they appear seamlessly integrated into the outer shell, and can capture micro-blinds in a way that they'll operate along the inner trailer contour. Today, there are sources for nearly every part, and comparatively easy and inexpensive to restore.

They are delicate and don't react well to anything out of their ordinary. When open, they are both vulnerable and harmful.

I'd say that the 1968 stainless edging adds a more finished outside appearance by hiding and protecting the black gasket from light. It will diffuse some glass breaking edge impact. The corners of 1968 stainless edging get highest marks for deepest skull gouge and facial laceration.

My method is to BEWARE, open only a few inches or all the way open to nearly horizontal... Not 100% effective.

I'd say to leave the glass without tint, and darken the cabin with blinds.

Open windows are cute when dressed in awning material, and acceptably vintage looking... One could make a slip-on awning material cover perhaps utilizing automotive door edging with enough fringe/fascia/drapery to warn of imminent danger. I like the individual window fabric awnings, I'll put that on my list of things to think about.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_3324.JPG
Views:	113
Size:	243.9 KB
ID:	255344   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_2330.JPG
Views:	110
Size:	201.1 KB
ID:	255345  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_2718.JPG
Views:	118
Size:	221.6 KB
ID:	255346   Click image for larger version

Name:	045.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	186.1 KB
ID:	255347  

ALUMINUMINUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 12:46 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
Elkton , Maryland
Great noodle idea

For our '67 we normally have the front window open wide. The rest we either have opened no more than 3" or completely open. You have to be decently tall to hit your head on it if the side windows are wide open. Ours open to almost a 90 degree angle to the side of the trailer. If it got windy and if the windows were wide open we'd logically close them to about 2-3" so the windows didn't move/bounce from the wind. Plus, it would get awfully windy inside anyway.

Thank you everyone for the noodle idea. I went to Dollar Tree and got a few that I'll cut up for our windows. I think that I'll put a # or short description on the noodle in order to save time putting them on the correct window. I'll probably cut the noodle down a lot so it makes the window noticeable enough to avoid hitting it but not so noticeable that everyone going by is asking why we have noodles on our windows.
NJ Amanda is offline   Reply With Quote