Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-18-2006, 09:08 PM   #101
3 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
Branford , Connecticut
Unhappy Hmmm..and this trailer smells because???

Okay - I really can use your help with this one. These are the before and after photos of the streetside gaucho vinyl pad that is screwed into the gaucho on the refrigerator end. As you can see in the before picture it was quite moldy (the white is "soft scrub with clorox"). The after shot shows great improvement except it's still a blotchy yellow color. I would love to be able to reuse this piece - Aside from the staining, the vinyl is perfect and I can't imagine replacing it with something that would fit as well without wrinkling. Any suggestions on what to apply? I tried straight clorox, dish soap, something called "Zud" which seems to be like Comet and lastly an outdoor furniture cleaner. Nothing..nada...the big goose egg! Haaalp!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	gaucho pad before.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	17765   Click image for larger version

Name:	gaucho pad after.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	45.2 KB
ID:	17766  

moogie32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 09:18 PM   #102
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Western , Massachusetts
Cabinets

Diane-

It's great to hear that the oak is really coming along. Good progress!

On the vinyl, could it be that the original color was yellow and that the white is a more heavily bleached area? It's a bit tough to tell from the pictures.

63GT
65CV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 09:27 PM   #103
3 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
Branford , Connecticut
hadn't thought of that......

Quote:
Originally Posted by 63GT
Diane-

It's great to hear that the oak is really coming along. Good progress!

On the vinyl, could it be that the original color was yellow and that the white is a more heavily bleached area? It's a bit tough to tell from the pictures.

63GT
Hiya, GT! That's an interesting idea about it not actually being white. My gut feeling is that it was white and now stained (it's actually more of a brown than a yellow) but you never know. I would guess the same piece was used in all '67 trailers - I just have to find someone who has one without the mold problems mine has. Thanks for your reply (don't you just love this "warm" spell we've had?!) Diane
Old 01-18-2006, 09:50 PM   #104
Creampuff

2022 27' Flying Cloud
2016 25' International
Airstream - Other
Malibu , California
It ain't exactly white!

Quote:
Originally Posted by moogie32
I just have to find someone who has one without the mold problems mine has. ) Diane
I'm not looking at it right now- but mine is the same and as I recall it's kind of off-white with a grain that is on the beige/ light brown side. It may have a hint of yellow, but let me check and re-post. It may not be til Mon. as I'm off to Az for a family event .I'll get a photo also. The dinette has 2 pices of that- one near the refer and the other on the twin pullout end next to the door.
AIR #189

"If aluminum isn't magnetic- why am I so attracted to to it?"
Creampuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 10:03 PM   #105
3 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
Branford , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creampuff
I'm not looking at it right now- but mine is the same and as I recall it's kind of off-white with a grain that is on the beige/ light brown side. It may have a hint of yellow, but let me check and re-post. It may not be til Mon. as I'm off to Az for a family event .I'll get a photo also. The dinette has 2 pices of that- one near the refer and the other on the twin pullout end next to the door.
Thanks, Murray, that'd be great! I don't recall the other piece being there, though, but the front gauchos were one of the first things I pulled out of the interior and that was awhile ago. I have to say that the mottled appearence isn't that bad to look at and it does smell MUCH better than it did! It'd be wonderful to check this off my to-do list!

Thanks and enjoy your family event; wish I was going to AZ! Diane
Old 01-18-2006, 10:39 PM   #106
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Smile "Gaucho Marks"

Diane, Okay so much for the Groucho Marx joke! On my front gauchos both the full twin and the one (near the door, that extends) that I call the day twin, I have the same end piece as you show in your pictures except mine are covered with aqua vinyl that matches the shower surround/curtain. Both are padded as is the shower surround. I believe you stand a better chance to find replacement vinyl in a brown or mixed color than I do, to find vinyl in aqua. If you look at the inside edge that attaches to the gaucho (if like mine) it will be stapled to the inside edges and very easy to re-cover with new material. Once vinyl is stained like that by mold it is not very likely that you will be able to get it back to the original condition. Killing the mold with bleach was the proper way to treat the panel but it may also have affected the color of the vinyl. Usually the cleaning process will make the vinyl brittle and it will eventually crack. When I do mold remediation as part of my job we will replace vinyl items wherever possible. You can usually find many different vinyl colors and treatments at good fabric shops or upholstery shops. I want to keep my interior look as original as possible too, but I would replace these areas if I had that kind of mold situation. Just my humble opinion... but better to completely remove the mold spore source than to have it pop back up after you've worked so hard to clean-up and renew that interior. Ed
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 08:25 PM   #107
3 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
Branford , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGED52
I want to keep my interior look as original as possible too, but I would replace these areas if I had that kind of mold situation. Just my humble opinion... but better to completely remove the mold spore source than to have it pop back up after you've worked so hard to clean-up and renew that interior. Ed
You raise a valid point, Ed. Upon further inspection I can still see little dots where larger spores once resided. If I remove the covering, I can also replace the padding which I'm sure doesn't smell too sweet either! Replacing this part is definately something that doesn't need to happen tomorrow. There's tons of work that needs to come before I can get to the upholstery stage (but when I do, that'll be a blast!). I am going to be in Florida at the same time as the rally in February and am going to try my hardest to take a trip across the state to see the vintage coaches. Perhaps I can see in person what this vinyl is supposed to look like so I can keep my eyes out for a match. Thanks for the input! Diane
Old 01-19-2006, 08:43 PM   #108
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Western , Massachusetts
foam gone bad

Diane-

I'll bet the foam behind the vinyl is filled with mold. When you're ready to replace the vinyl, I'll get you some foam that will never mold or mildew.

Weather was great in Connecticut today! Got the window gasket off of 4 frames outside. What a job!

63GT
Old 01-19-2006, 11:08 PM   #109
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Diane, You are welcome. I would take 63GT up on their kind offer to get you some foam padding that won't ever mold or mildew. That is a very healthy thing to install in your coach. Perhaps by spring I may ask them where they got it from so I can get some for my re-upholstery job. That is if I'm that far along by then. As I mentioned aqua is not the easiest color to locate these days and aqua vinyl may be damn near impossible, but we will see when I arrive at that point. Anyway, As always if I can help .... let me know. Ed
Old 01-22-2006, 06:32 PM   #110
3 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
Branford , Connecticut
Wink Moldy foam? Out it goes!

Quote:
Diane-

I'll bet the foam behind the vinyl is filled with mold. When you're ready to replace the vinyl, I'll get you some foam that will never mold or mildew.

Weather was great in Connecticut today! Got the window gasket off of 4 frames outside. What a job!

63GT
GT - Thanks so much for your more than kind offer! I did do a little beasment searching today and did come up with the other piece. I'll absolutely let you know when I'm ready to start the upholstering. Did you pull your GT out of storage to remove those windows or did you work on the windows accessable where it's parked? Isn't a great feeling to start your project? Let me know if I can help you out! Diane
Old 01-22-2006, 06:36 PM   #111
3 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
Branford , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGED52
As I mentioned aqua is not the easiest color to locate these days and aqua vinyl may be damn near impossible, but we will see when I arrive at that point. Ed
Ed - this is just a thought -one that I considered when I was thinking my discolored vinyl pads were possibly worth saving - is there any product out there to "paint" vinyl with? I think I remember seeing something that you could use after a tear in a vinyl seat was repaired. You'd think there would be something out there - I just don't know how durable it would be. Glad mine aren't aqua, though! It's a lot easier this way! Thanks for your input, as always! Diane
Old 01-22-2006, 06:49 PM   #112
3 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
Branford , Connecticut
Update Jan 22

Only had today to work on the interior but was able to finish the sanding of the streetside overhead bin and one of the gaucho ends (I think it's the curbside front - it's all blending into one another these days!). The bin was difficult to work on because it's rounded on the end that fits into the ceiling of the trailer. Since I needed to refinish the front and bottom I needed to stabilize it somehow so it wouldn't roll off the bench as I worked on it. I solved this problem with a series of flowerpots filled with soil and a large can of deck sealer to prop it into place. It worked pretty well and I'm glad I found a solution to my problem as I have 2 more overhead bins that will need refinishing.

I received the polymerized tung oil (high gloss) and tung oil sealer that Uwe suggested I try from Lee Valley Tools (www.leevalley.com). The instructions tell you to first apply the sealer and then the tung oil at least 8 hours later. I ended up applying sealer to everything I have sanded so far, including pieces I had hoped I was finished with like the console but I am very excited about the results! The wood didn't darken any more than it had with plain tung oil and the grain just pops out. It's absolutely beautiful! I can't imagine how great it will look when the actual high gloss tung oil is applied. Thanks for the tip, Uwe! I really owe you!

Fished out the curbside gaucho as well as the cover for the water tank so that will be next......Diane
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ss overhead bin bottom.JPG
Views:	96
Size:	74.7 KB
ID:	17850   Click image for larger version

Name:	tung oil sealer before and after.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	53.2 KB
ID:	17851  

Old 01-22-2006, 06:52 PM   #113
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Western , Massachusetts
moved it

Diane-

Two boats were moved out of storage for Key West Race Week. That let us rearrange the storage of the other boats so that we could remove 4 windows and all the screens.

It feels GREAT to start!

63GT
Old 01-22-2006, 06:55 PM   #114
3 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
Branford , Connecticut
Thumbs up Wtg Gt!

Quote:
Diane-

Two boats were moved out of storage for Key West Race Week. That let us rearrange the storage of the other boats so that we could remove 4 windows and all the screens.

It feels GREAT to start!

63GT
I can't imagine how cool it would be to be able to work on a trailer inside! I'd have the floor out by now and might even be considering a full monty!
(Maybe it's just as well it's outside, eh?)

Keep up the great work - have you started a thread yet on your progress?
Old 01-22-2006, 07:25 PM   #115
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
Send a message via AIM to pinkflamingoes Send a message via Yahoo to pinkflamingoes
I don't have weather issues and I still haven't finished the floor. You are SO motivated!!

ingrid
1967 24' Tradewind #19104 ~ Forums #4449
pinkflamingoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 07:38 PM   #116
3 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
Branford , Connecticut
Talking I don't know if I'd call it motivation.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkflamingoes
I don't have weather issues and I still haven't finished the floor. You are SO motivated!!
Nahhhh, Ingrid! It's just the fear of Spring time gardening season almost upon me! That draw into the yard and away from the workbench is more than I can resist!

Step away from the rake, Diane! Step away from the rake!
Old 01-23-2006, 11:22 PM   #117
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Painting vinyl

Diane, Haven't been online in a few days but saw your question regarding painting your vinyl and had to reply. Very simply, don't waste your time trying to paint it as the paint won't flex like the vinyl and it will just flake off. I saw this done about a year ago to some vinyl interior parts on a drag racer friends car and though it looked good initially it ended up badly cracked and flaked off after only a few hot summer weeks! My advice is often heard from others here....Just bite the bullet and spend the money on new and you won't regret it. Ed
Old 01-24-2006, 09:06 AM   #118
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
Send a message via AIM to pinkflamingoes Send a message via Yahoo to pinkflamingoes
I'm guessing there is some kind of material out there that's a faux vinyl and somehow is improved on it...plus it might be nice not to have skin pulled off on the back of your legs when you're wearing shorts on a hot day and get up too quickly!

Hey! Has either one of you received your belated xmas present?
pinkflamingoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 07:33 PM   #119
Creampuff

2022 27' Flying Cloud
2016 25' International
Airstream - Other
Malibu , California
Diane:
Sorry- the Az trip wasn't really that long! I looked at my gaucho end and it really is mottled like that. .
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	gaucho end.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	17963  
AIR #189

"If aluminum isn't magnetic- why am I so attracted to to it?"
Creampuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 09:22 PM   #120
3 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
Branford , Connecticut
Thumbs up It just arrived yesterday!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkflamingoes
I'm guessing there is some kind of material out there that's a faux vinyl and somehow is improved on it...plus it might be nice not to have skin pulled off on the back of your legs when you're wearing shorts on a hot day and get up too quickly!

Hey! Has either one of you received your belated xmas present?
Yes, Ingrid! I just got it (a 2006 Airstream calendar which Ingrid found at for .99 at her local dollar store) and I LOVE IT! THANKS!!!!!Di