Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Safari > 1966 - 1968 Safari
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-31-2006, 09:26 PM   #121
3 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
Branford , Connecticut
so that yellow isn't mold after all!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creampuff
Diane:
Sorry- the Az trip wasn't really that long! I looked at my gaucho end and it really is mottled like that. .
Wow, Murray! I never would have guessed it's supposed to look as mottled as it originally did. Thank you so much for taking the time to photograph yours. What a nice original Safari you have...want to trade???
moogie32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 06:44 PM   #122
Creampuff

2022 27' Flying Cloud
2016 25' International
Airstream - Other
Malibu , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by moogie32
Wow, Murray! . What a nice original Safari you have...want to trade???
NOPE! However- "The Creampuff" is filing for divorce since I found an original '57 Flying Cloud. She knows I am no longer her "main-man"!
AIR #189

"If aluminum isn't magnetic- why am I so attracted to to it?"
Creampuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 04:46 PM   #123
3 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
Branford , Connecticut
update!

I tried to take pictures and post them last week but kept on getting that error 404 message...then I lost the disc with the photos on it so I took more today. Last week I finished up the pull out streetside gaucho. I'm very happy with how it turned out! Used up all my good plastic latches on it. I've decided to stay with the original white rather than switch to brown because the oak lightened up so much it doesn't contrast as much as it did.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ss main gaucho.JPG
Views:	131
Size:	47.8 KB
ID:	18394   Click image for larger version

Name:	ss main gaucho cropped.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	39.7 KB
ID:	18395  

Old 02-12-2006, 04:53 PM   #124
3 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
Branford , Connecticut
2/10/06

This weekend I reassembled many of the things I've been refinishing including the streetside overhead bin and the streetside gaucho. I also organized everything so that the refinished stuff is against the wall and less prone to getting dirty again. I wish I had room upstairs to place it all! It looks so nice all clean.

I also refinished the water tank cover and a the curbside gaucho end and put tung oil sealant on them. That stuff is great! I can't reassemble the other street side gaucho until I get more of those white plastic clips....anyone have any extras???

There will be a lull here for several weeks as we're off on a family vacation to Florida - I'm hoping to take in the rally to get more ideas! Hope to see many of you there! Diane
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	water tank cover and gaucho side.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	71.1 KB
ID:	18396   Click image for larger version

Name:	feb1106.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	44.6 KB
ID:	18397  

Old 02-12-2006, 05:08 PM   #125
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Looking great Diane! Can you see the light at the end of the aluminum tunnel? Ed
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 05:23 PM   #126
3 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
Branford , Connecticut
Well, not really......!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGED52
Looking great Diane! Can you see the light at the end of the aluminum tunnel? Ed
I wish I could say I do, Ed, but I'm really just starting. Before the weather gets better (and we just got a foot of snow today!) I would like to get the bathroom painted as well as the rest of the wood refinished. But then I have to really deal with the leaks that I still have which means at the very least replace all the plumbing vents on the roof as well as the refrigerator vent. I have to do something with the air vents too - I just vulkumed them to get me through the winter....and then, once the leaks are gone (are they really ever gone?) I need to replace most, if not all of the floor and then deal with the plumbing and electrical and gas issues. I still have a fridge that doesn't seem to work and a stove that I'm not sure about and I really want to reuse both of them. I can't imagine how long this will take, but at the pace I'm going I suspect you'll be reading this thread for quite awhile to come!!! How's your trailer coming? Diane
Old 02-12-2006, 06:12 PM   #127
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Diane, I can say that my trailer is currently under wraps......literally. I have two LARGE poly dumpster liners (black plastic bags) 20 cubic yards dumpster size over the trailer. You cannot see any of the trailer! Not even the tongue! They hang down to ground level and then an extra 8" on each side. Then I have a 10' x 20' canvas top carport tent that I've extented the legs on by 4' feet to 12' to be tall enough to let the 10' 8" coach w/air conditioner fit under. The feet for each leg (4 per side) are bolted down to 2" x 6" that have the poly stapled to the bottom of them so that secures everything. Tent currently has 6 or 7 inches of snow on top of the canvas. I have to go out at least one day each week (depending on new snow) and clear off the snow. The snow load actually keeps the tent from blowing away. So I am more or less confined to work I can do in my garage. Currently that is bench work to clean and inspect the furnace and oven/stove. As the weather allows I still need to remove and test the waterheater and refridgerator. I want to get these all checked out before it gets warm as then I will want to get serious on interior wood and counter tops. There was some water damage to the counter behind the sink from a missing galley window, so I will dismantle cabinet and rebuild it and re-install the great Aqua countertop. This will be a tricky job as they don't make that color any longer so very carefully must remove old countertop from warped plywood below so it can be contact cemented back on new plwood top. I am now tired just writing about it! LOL! I have jury duty starting Tuesday and will get a break from this for a while...Whew! What will it be next. Ed
Old 02-15-2006, 07:28 PM   #128
3 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
Branford , Connecticut
[quote=BIGED52There was some water damage to the counter behind the sink from a missing galley window, so I will dismantle cabinet and rebuild it and re-install the great Aqua countertop. This will be a tricky job as they don't make that color any longer so very carefully must remove old countertop from warped plywood below so it can be contact cemented back on new plwood top. I am now tired just writing about it! LOL! I have jury duty starting Tuesday and will get a break from this for a while...Whew! What will it be next. Ed[/quote] I was thinking about saving mine too, Ed, but there's some stains which I'm guessing won't come out. I have the same issue with the countertop over the fridge. I had (have) a leak in the rooftop vent which in turn warped the plywood under the counter (hmmm- why does the fridge not work??) and peeling off the laminate doesn't look impossible. The stains, sadly are on the counter top near the sink where the wood is fine. How did you end up with aqua? Mine's yellow - do you have the "International" trim upgrade? I'm jealous!! I just was on a jury a month ago - 6 day trial - made 50 bucks and found the defendant not guilty.....have fun and bring plenty of reading material! Diane
Old 02-16-2006, 10:09 AM   #129
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Exclamation 67' Safaris Rule!!!!

Diane, You are correct! I do have the International trim package. So that is the difference between your coach and mine? I thought color was a personal selection on the interiors? See... you learn something new every day. I thought the trim package had more to do with the exterior trim molding and rear light assemblies. I do not have a porch light but do have a Carefree awning. My bathroom is very Aqua too! No backup light assembly but Aqua Enamel stove/oven with stainless steel cover. In fact I'm sending a stainless steel cover out to Juel for her Argosy today UPS. I got it with a stove/oven from a 68' tradewind that a couple had gutted and gave me all the parts I wanted free. I still have the stainless steel stove/oven in my spare parts should I need them. The oven interior looks like it was never used! The stove top is stainless also. I may try to sell these later....once I bench test the ones I have in my coach and see if they are okay. They also gave me the furnace and a/c unit along with many aluminum mouldings and wood trim and storage trays that they were going to throw away anyway. I grabbed it all and it now resides in my garage until I finish rebuilding my interior. You sanded all your interior wood didn't you? I may be looking at doing that too as oiling the wood is not bring it back to the look I was hoping for. It was very dried out/weathered looking when it came home with me. Well, I better get going to UPS or Judy will kill me. She wants more counter space and her Argosy has the stove hardware for the cover but no cover! Go figure. Please let me know on the woodwork you've done and what you have found in the process. Ed
Old 02-16-2006, 10:13 AM   #130
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Countertop stains

Diane, Almost forgot to tell you to check with a local hardware store about cleaning stain from your formica top. I believe that Formica co. makes a stain remover just for their counter tops. Maybe try a counter top or kitchen remodel shop as they may carry it. If I find it here I will let you know>>> Ed
Old 02-17-2006, 05:47 AM   #131
3 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
Branford , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGED52
Diane, Almost forgot to tell you to check with a local hardware store about cleaning stain from your formica top. I believe that Formica co. makes a stain remover just for their counter tops. Maybe try a counter top or kitchen remodel shop as they may carry it. If I find it here I will let you know>>> Ed
That's a great idea, Ed - I'd love to keep the formica that I have - other than the stains, it's in great shape.....I'll check around here and if I come up empty handed I'll let you know. Thanks for your help! Diane
Old 03-20-2006, 08:33 PM   #132
3 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
Branford , Connecticut
Smile Update March 20

Haven't posted in awhile but aside from the 2 weeks in Florida I have been making some progress....not as much as I wish but progress nonetheless.
The water tank cover is finished as well as the bathroom closet. I had to reinforce the bottom of the bathroom closet as the portion that is screwed to the floor had some rot issues (that's where the floor rot starts - sigh!). It's much better now.

Yesterday I started work on the last closet - the galleyside one. I'm going to have to apply a new piece of oak veneer to the door because some of the original had chipped off. So, the next trip to the lumberyard will be to scope out some veneer that matches the grain as closely as possible. I'm also on the lookout for a staple gun that uses the long staples that are used throughout the cabinetry.

I guess I never really looked carefully at the formica in the bathroom before - it's got 2 shades of grey lines mixed with a gold one. I was originally thinking about installing a checkerboard patterned black and white floor. Looking at the formica, I'm wondering if a grey and white one would look less contrasty and match better....It's fun dreaming about the details!

Here are some pictures of the finished bathroom cabinet, close-up of the formica, closet door damage and the beginning of the sanding on that last closet....
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	bath closet.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	69.3 KB
ID:	19617   Click image for larger version

Name:	bath fromica closeup.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	19618  

Old 03-20-2006, 08:36 PM   #133
3 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
Branford , Connecticut
and the two that wouldn't fit.....
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	closet door damage.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	19619   Click image for larger version

Name:	sanding closet side.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	62.6 KB
ID:	19620  

Old 03-21-2006, 01:56 PM   #134
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
Hey Moogie, that woodwork looks wonderful! I have a question about the finish that you applied. Why did you choose the tung oil/sealer combination? Was it a question of the final "look" or is there a "mechanical" reason for it? By mechanical I mean is the tung oil a better protectant that a varnish, for example.

I was thinking of simply using a commercial grade stain and polyurathane. The cheap and easy way out. But after looking at yours and Uwe's threads I think I'm going to follow in your footsteps.

If I keep stealing everybodys' best ideas like this, my camper might actually look pretty good when I'm finished!

Thanks for the help and keep up the great work.

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 08:20 AM   #135
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Eureka , California
Retro formica and vinyl...

Hey this may be too late, but http://www.pastense.com has cool retro vinyl and formica!
sequoiacoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 10:21 PM   #136
3 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
Branford , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim & Susan
Hey Moogie, that woodwork looks wonderful! I have a question about the finish that you applied. Why did you choose the tung oil/sealer combination? Was it a question of the final "look" or is there a "mechanical" reason for it? By mechanical I mean is the tung oil a better protectant that a varnish, for example.

I was thinking of simply using a commercial grade stain and polyurathane. The cheap and easy way out. But after looking at yours and Uwe's threads I think I'm going to follow in your footsteps.

If I keep stealing everybodys' best ideas like this, my camper might actually look pretty good when I'm finished!

Thanks for the help and keep up the great work.

Jim
Hi there Jim! Thanks for your kind words of encouragement! I have to admit I got the idea of tung oil from Uwe. I loved how his cabinets were turning out and I liked the idea of the wood not looking like plastic. From what I understand it does act as a good protectant, especially if you keep your wood oiled (which seems pretty easy).

It's very easy to work with and very forgiving as well. Just apply the sealer and then the polymerized high gloss tung oil. No issues with runs or dust particles either. At this point I have only one coat of the tung oil applied but I will be adding more coats later. I think it won't be a problem just rubbing it on even with everything back together. It wipes off areas you don't want oiled pretty easily...

So, steal away! That's pretty much what I'm doing. There are tons of great ideas out there!

Diane
Old 03-23-2006, 10:23 PM   #137
3 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
Branford , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by sequoiacoast
Hey this may be too late, but http://www.pastense.com has cool retro vinyl and formica!
Thanks for this link - they have some nice formica; that yellow cracked ice resembles the original formica that I have. What a great resource!
Old 03-24-2006, 10:09 AM   #138
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Chandler , Oklahoma
Good to see you back at work. Hope you get lots done before that garden thing kicks in. I know how you love your garden. Snowed here in Oklahoma, yesterday. Lots of snow, will be 57 today, no more snow.
juel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 07:34 PM   #139
3 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
Branford , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by juel
Good to see you back at work. Hope you get lots done before that garden thing kicks in. I know how you love your garden. Snowed here in Oklahoma, yesterday. Lots of snow, will be 57 today, no more snow.
Hey there Judy! I heard you guys got nailed with all the snow - yeech! It's been definately on the mild side here in the Northeast - the garden thing is starting to rear its ugly head - devoted something like 6 hours to removing all the old leaves from around where all the daffodils have been planted. If you don't do it before they bloom the only way to do it is by hand!

In any event, sore as I was after all that gardening, I still found some time to do more work on the closet between the galley and the bathroom. It's in tough shape compared to the other wood I've worked on. There must have been a leak under or over it at some point, judging by the water damage. It's held together by dowels, all of which have broken except one, so I spent some time drilling the broken ones out. I found a perfect replacement dowel at Home Depot - I'm hoping to get it all together this weekend. Here is a sanded closet shot (minus the door) and a dowel close-up...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	sanded closet.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	19912   Click image for larger version

Name:	dowel.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	19913  

Old 03-28-2006, 07:36 PM   #140
3 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
Branford , Connecticut
Ash? Oak? Any guesses?

After an exhaustive search I also found some replacement veneer to recover the closet door. Not too many places out here actually have it and I wanted to be able to check out the grain before I bought it. I went with red oak. I am not completely sure that's what was used on the Safari. The guy who sold it to me said the exsisting veneer looked like ash. Does anyone know whether that is possible? He had this 4X8 piece of red oak that somebody hadn't picked up and it's really beautiful! This weekend I plan to use an iron to help remove the old, cracked veneer and then cut the new a little large and then glue it down. Once it sets, I'll trim it to size.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	door and veneer1.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	56.5 KB
ID:	19914   Click image for larger version

Name:	veneer and door.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	52.6 KB
ID:	19915