RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 05-03-2005, 04:43 PM   #61
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Mel

I don't have any pictures yet Mel, but I am trying to get some taken by my friend who has a digital camera. As soon as I can I will post some pics. The trailer didn't have a working Univolt or propane tanks but everything else seems to be intact. I've been trying all day today to order 2 windows from Airstream Dreams but don't seem to be able to get their web site to respond long enough to let me know if my order was accepted or not, or if I qualified for the discount or not. They must be overwhelmed with orders for glass. Hopefully I will get a E-mail to let me know the status of my order. As you can tell I'm wanting to replace the PO's plexiglass replacement windows with real tempered glass. As Diane said earlier, I am also very happy that Airstream Dreams decided to provide us with new glass as an option, as the plexi windows don't fit/seal as well as they should. They served their purpose for him and kept the elements out, but I like the idea of the real glass! I'm so jazzed about the glass as I have been looking for it since I first got the trailer. I will try to keep you all posted on my progress. I'm going to try to go to St. Louis, Mo. in June during the midwest rally to see some other trailers for ideas, but I want to keep mine as original as possible. Since I remove Asbestos for a living I will be removing the original tile and the dryrotted carpet so I can check out the floor for any soft spots but hoping I don't find any! This is a long reply so I'll stop for now. Ed
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 09:14 PM   #62
3 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
Branford , Connecticut
Hi there Ed and Mel!
Ed - your Safari sounds like a great find; and what a deal! I just got my windows today and while I only opened up the box to check out their condition (I ordered a flat, a large and a medium curved) I must say what I saw was sheer beauty! You and everyone else who ordered them will be very pleased with your purchase. Keep on trying to contact them - The last time I looked they has run out of the discounted ones so I don't know if they'll run that offer again. I can't wait to install mine but first I must spend more bucks on gasketing for the windows and door. Want to get the whole thing done at once if I can. I too would love to see some pictures!

Mel - I scored some Danish oil today!!!! I went to a local hardware store where they seem to know their stuff and they said the same thing you did about the varathane. Why do they call it "varathane" and not "urathane"? Did you use a satin finish? I'd have to go back and check what you wrote...I have plenty of time though, since you need to wait a week for it to sink in. Did you mix the boiled linseed with the Danish or just apply them seperately? I can't wait to get down there and start sanding!

Thanks, Both of you!!!!!
moogie32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 10:12 PM   #63
Mel
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by moogie32
Did you mix the boiled linseed with the Danish or just apply them seperately? I can't wait to get down there and start sanding!
Hi Diane - No mixing necessary. I applied the linseed oil one day, and the Danish oil the next. Then I waited a week before applying the first coat of polyurethane. Have fun sanding - the results will be worth it!

So glad to hear about the windows - I have one on the way!

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 12:53 AM   #64
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Re: Replacement Windows

Mel and Diane, Just a note to let you know I finally got my order in for 1 large and 1 medium window from Steve at Airstream Dreams. He e-mailed me back that I got the last of both sizes from their original stock. So they will be ordering more in soon. I still need both small ones (17" x 20.5") but thought I would get the larger ones installed first. Some other good news though, I found out that I have the type 3 windows with the glass clamp that unscrews from the hinge so that should make the install on the new glass easier anyway just thought I'd update you on my glass saga!!! LOL I'll let you know how it goes on the install end. Ed
Old 05-04-2005, 09:34 PM   #65
3 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
Branford , Connecticut
I'm still waiting to see whether I have 2's or 3's. Got so far as to remove the screws on the inside but 2 are giving me a problem. I'd rather not drill them out so I lubricated them and will give it a go later. For now, though, the type of glass bar I have remains a mystery!
Old 06-28-2005, 04:14 PM   #66
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1979 30' Argosy
Armada , Michigan
Hey, you guys, what's the latest? Us Safari owners need updates!

John
AYRSTRM2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 04:42 PM   #67
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
NW of Boston , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AYRSTRM2
Hey, you guys, what's the latest? Us Safari owners need updates!

John
I'll second that motion. Anybody got any new pics?

And a question for Mel -- How much of your interior did you take out before you put in the new floor? Did you gut your trailer to start? Or replace as you went along?

-J
Doug & Jamie, AIR #650
LuminumTraila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 08:02 PM   #68
Mel
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougjamie
I'll second that motion. Anybody got any new pics?

And a question for Mel -- How much of your interior did you take out before you put in the new floor? Did you gut your trailer to start? Or replace as you went along?

-J
Hi!

Our to-do list has gotten a lot smaller. It seems like it was all downhill after the axle (and what a fun day that was!)

We gutted our trailer one section at a time, starting with the dinette and working our way around through the kitchen and finally back to the couch side. We just installed the floor as each section was out.

We're now in the "tweaking" stages and I'm happy to report we've eaten meals out there and just sat and listened to music. Our first outing is July 8-10 - I can't wait!

Mel
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0307 a.JPG
Views:	128
Size:	86.5 KB
ID:	13069  
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 09:40 PM   #69
3 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
Branford , Connecticut
no news is good news, right?

Oh, now I feel guilty! I was moving along fast and furiously and then...gardening season hit! It's an excuse, I know, but I have been doing some things to the Safari, namely trying to get the screws out of the window glass bars and refinishing the interior wood. I've been sanding by hand (what a lot of work that is!) and then using Danish oil but haven't urethaned it yet. Is there any place to get large quantities of Danish oil? I am really going to need a lot of it! I've also been amassing parts that I'll need - Uwe was kind enough to sell me a fiberglass stove vent cover to replace the milk jug and I have everythign I need to replace the window and door gaskets. All I lack is the time to get it done in. This has inspired me, though! That screw's coming out this weekend!
Old 06-28-2005, 09:41 PM   #70
3 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
Branford , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel
Hi!

Our to-do list has gotten a lot smaller. It seems like it was all downhill after the axle (and what a fun day that was!)

We gutted our trailer one section at a time, starting with the dinette and working our way around through the kitchen and finally back to the couch side. We just installed the floor as each section was out.

We're now in the "tweaking" stages and I'm happy to report we've eaten meals out there and just sat and listened to music. Our first outing is July 8-10 - I can't wait!

Mel

Mel - looks great! Love the clock!
Old 08-22-2005, 09:03 PM   #71
3 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
Branford , Connecticut
Cool back in the saddle again!

Today was a banner day - I finally took a break from yardwork and spent some much needed time on the Safari. As it came without a front window I had patched the hole with a large piece of plastic. Every so often the duct tape holding it would fail and I'd tack it back up again. This weekend the whole thing fell off and I pulled off all the duct tape and replaced it with some of apparently inferior quality because it was off again this morning. This was enough incentive to just do what I should have done months ago when I got all the parts in to do the repairs.

I pryed off all the old weatherstripping and used a wire wheel in my drill to get off all the residual adhesive. Worked like a charm and very fast. I followed the directions on the 3M weatherstrip adhesive and installed my new weatherstripping. You have to be very careful not to allow the glued pieces to touch otherwise you end up with a very sticky mess. It's one of those 2 people jobs. When it's done, though - WOW! What a difference!

And, I can't say enought about the wonderful Airstream Dreams window...it's so nice to have glass there. Forrest McClure helped me enormously with directions and it all worked out well. The worst part of the job was getting the very stubborn glass bar screws out. I should have done this months ago. Now, I just have the large and medium side windows to do (plus weatherstripping all around). One problem though is that I need more window clips. Does anyone know where to buy some (used is okay). Thanks! Diane
Old 08-22-2005, 11:02 PM   #72
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
Send a message via AIM to pinkflamingoes Send a message via Yahoo to pinkflamingoes
hmmmm...

I wonder if the urge to get something done on the trailer spreads among airstream owners. Good job on the window, wow, you did it! That one big step that you hem and haw about and then finally do because you have to; and then it takes 20 minutes and you wish you'd done it sooner. Our turn...

Only window clips I know of are Inland RV.

Read your PM in a few minutes...

ingrid
1967 24' Tradewind #19104 ~ Forums #4449
pinkflamingoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 11:37 PM   #73
Creampuff

1957 22' Flying Cloud
1971 31' Sovereign
2014 25' Flying Cloud
Malibu , California
Moogie:
I saw a set of window cranks with clips on Ebay.
AIR #189

"If aluminum isn't magnetic- why am I so attracted to to it?"
Creampuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 02:08 AM   #74
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Window Installs

Hi Diane, Good To Know About Your Window Install Going So Smoothly. I Haven't Done Mine Yet As I've Been Busy With Work. Got Back From Johnson Space Center On 7/10 And Had So Many Things To Catch Up On At The House That I Never Uncovered The Safari Until Yesterday. It Sure Is Good To See That Big Silver Thing Sitting In The Driveway. All Winter And Up Until Yesterday It Was Under A 16' X 20' Plastic Canvas With A Large Black Plastic Dumpster Liner Under It That. It Completely Covered The Trailer Right Down To The Ground! I Bought A 10' X20' Carport Tent And Extented The Legs 2.5 Feet So It Would Go Over The Top Of The Trailer And Still Allow Me Clearance To Work On The Roof. So I Am Starting The Same Project As You By Working On The Windows. I Bought 3 Sets Of Window Cranks And Clips On Ebay Within The Last 2 Weeks And The Last Set Arrived Today. The Clips Are Very Rusty Though And I May Just Order New Ones From Inland. Steve And Airstream Dreams Told Me They Will Probably Be Offering Weather Seal And Window Clips Later This Fall, But I Don't Think I Can Wait That Long! I Have Been Cleaning Up The Window Latches By Completely Dis-assembling Them And Dipping Them In Clr To Loosen The Rusty Stuff Up And Then Using The Ever Popular Sos Pads To Clean Everything Thouroughly! The Covers And The Spring Catches Are Looking Like New Again And I Will Be Spraying Them With Clearcoat To Head Off Future Rust Issues. I Have Decided To Get A Newer Style Door And Window Seal That Is Available From Airstream That Is Used Around The Entrance And Screen Doors On The New Trailers. The Reason For This Being It Is A Silicone Based Extrusion That Is Shaped Like A "d" And Is More Flexible Than The Original Type Weather Seal That Inland Sells, And Should Hold Up Better/longer. I Too Have Had Some Problems Getting The Screws Out Of The Window Clamps. I Actually Broke Off Two Of The Screwheads From My Front Flat Window Clamp And Am Trying To Decide If I Should Try To Drill Them Out And Re-tap Them To A Bigger Screw Or Just Grind Them Smooth And Move Them Over An Inch And Put In Same Size Holes And Screws. Either Way I Am Replacing All Of The Rusty Screws As I Go! No Sense In Asking For Them To Seize Back Up By Using The Old Ones. I'll Let You Know How I Make Out. I Also Got Very Fortunate And Found A Couple That Had Gutted A 1968 Safari And Were Looking To Giveaway Some Interior Parts. They Were Only About 70 Miles From Me In The Iowa City, Ia. Area, So The Wife And I Drove Up One Saturday To See What All They Had. I Got A Furnace, Ac Unit, And A Stainless Steel Stove. All In Good Condition. In Addition To That They Also Gave Us An Entire Set Of Avacodo Colored Storage Bin Trays That So Far Have Been Cleaning Up Great. I Took All The Interior Wood Pieces They Had That Were In Any Good Condition Too As They Were Just Going To Throw Them Away If I Didn't. It Was Very Cool Of Them To Let Us Have All Of These Parts For Free. As A Extra Surprize Bonus, When We Got Home With Our Treasures, In The Storage Bin/trays I Found The Connectors For Hooking Up The Sewer Hose. It Was A Great Find, As Mine Were Missing When I Got The Trailer From The Po! Well It's Almost 2:15 In The Morning Here So I'll Close This Out And Tell You Another Good Story Later Today........ed
Old 08-23-2005, 10:15 PM   #75
3 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
Branford , Connecticut
Thanks for all your good words! I think I might have been lucky enough to have located some used window clips tonight during the chat room dialogue so that would enable me to save some $$. That's a great idea if you're looking for parts - that's the second time I've lucked out that way.

Ed, what a great find getting all those parts. I know the bins alone go for big bucks on Ebay. My Safari is missing all of them so it's something I'll eventually have to replace but for now it's far down the list of things to do. I think until I get those clips I will have to be content to weatherstrip everything. It's amazing how easily that goes up. I will be extra careful not to stress the original corning glass pieces that I do have left - I know that when Till weatherstripped his front window it shattered when he went to close it. The very top of the stripping that is covered by the glass bar is compressed to almost being flat on the old stripping - wonder if I should shave a little of the new stuff down just to not stress the glass? Keep us posted on your progress, Ed! Diane
Old 08-23-2005, 10:23 PM   #76
3 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
Branford , Connecticut
about those rusted screws....

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGED52
I Too Have Had Some Problems Getting The Screws Out Of The Window Clamps. I Actually Broke Off Two Of The Screwheads From My Front Flat Window Clamp And Am Trying To Decide If I Should Try To Drill Them Out And Re-tap Them To A Bigger Screw Or Just Grind Them Smooth And Move Them Over An Inch And Put In Same Size Holes And Screws. ed
Oh, Just a note here, Ed - on your screw problem - I had one in particular that would not budge. After soaking it multiple times with "PB Blaster" it finally came out when a friend attacked it with vice grips, unscrewing it out by holding onto the side of its head. Worked like a charm. I have my work cut out for me on the other windows that need replacement because none of those screws want to budge either.
Old 11-13-2005, 08:42 AM   #77
3 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
Branford , Connecticut
Here we go again!

Back to work on this! Got a lot done yesterday (that milk jug that was acting as the stove vent cover is now in the trash!) and am starting to remove the lower interior panels in anticipation of floor replacement. I have a question about the drain and fill lines for my plumbing which are all still in place. Up until now I have not wanted to touch them because I didn't want to trash them if they could be reused but they have to go to replace the floor.

Does anyone reuse them? How on earth do you get them apart (I'm thinking of the drain lines here)? It is so tempting to just take a hacksaw to them but so far I've resisted. There's no way they'll be able to stay there forever...suggestions always appreciated!
Old 11-13-2005, 08:48 AM   #78
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Does anyone reuse them? How on earth do you get them apart (I'm thinking of the drain lines here)? It is so tempting to just take a hacksaw to them but so far I've resisted. There's no way they'll be able to stay there forever...suggestions always appreciated!
moogie,
If they are ABS plastic (black) I would cut them, you can always put them back together with a solvent weld coupler if you need to...at least that is my plan

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2005, 09:17 AM   #79
3 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
Branford , Connecticut
off with their heads!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc
moogie,
If they are ABS plastic (black) I would cut them, you can always put them back together with a solvent weld coupler if you need to...at least that is my plan

Aaron
Thanks, Aaron - yup they're the black plastic. I have a feeling that it's all available at the local Home Depot anyway. That's just one of those things that I'm on the fence as to whether it should be replaced as it appears to be in good shape. What are you doing with your copper feed lines?
Old 11-13-2005, 09:54 AM   #80
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Thanks, Aaron - yup they're the black plastic. I have a feeling that it's all available at the local Home Depot anyway. That's just one of those things that I'm on the fence as to whether it should be replaced as it appears to be in good shape. What are you doing with your copper feed lines?
Moogie,
My copper appears to be in good shape...no leaks that I know about, I would cut the copper and coupler it too. I love copper plumbing, must have been all those years of vintage home ownership I don't find copper hard to work with at all. Pex has it's advantages and it's place. I am going to be doing a complete rework of the LP system though, it is copper too none of my inline shut off valves work, they are corroded in the open postion

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote