RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 04-11-2005, 10:22 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member
 
moogie32's Avatar
 
1967 22' Safari
Branford , Connecticut
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 215
Images: 11
I'm having computer issues tonight and it won't let me access that thread but I know I have seen it before and you guys did a beautiful job. My one question is what color are the tiles - I recall them being solid white (as opposed to the streaked appearance of the original) Fact or fiction?
moogie32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005, 10:45 PM   #22
Rivet Master
 
eljay's Avatar
 
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural, blink and you'll miss it , Missouri
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 692
Images: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by moogie32
I'm having computer issues tonight and it won't let me access that thread but I know I have seen it before and you guys did a beautiful job. My one question is what color are the tiles - I recall them being solid white (as opposed to the streaked appearance of the original) Fact or fiction?
They really aren't white. They are a light taupe with blue-green, blue, and mauve (sorta) streaks/flecks.

Our originals were light beige with tan and brown flecks and streaks. There were similar colors available.
__________________
Not knowing enough to be afraid... (I know more than I did, but I did it anyway!)

Eljay

1968 Tradewind Double.
eljay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005, 11:17 PM   #23
Rivet Master
 
pinkflamingoes's Avatar
 
1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 1,570
Images: 38
Blog Entries: 3
Send a message via AIM to pinkflamingoes Send a message via Yahoo to pinkflamingoes
Listen to you! You know all the cool words! And you're looking to me for tips???
__________________
"Let's look Death in the face and say, 'Whatever man.'"
~ Hurley

ingrid
1967 24' Tradewind #19104 ~ Forums #4449
pinkflamingoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2005, 09:28 PM   #24
3 Rivet Member
 
moogie32's Avatar
 
1967 22' Safari
Branford , Connecticut
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 215
Images: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by eljay
They really aren't white. They are a light taupe with blue-green, blue, and mauve (sorta) streaks/flecks.

Our originals were light beige with tan and brown flecks and streaks. There were similar colors available.
Hey there Laura! Didn't know there were ones that resembled the originals. That's great - although I have to admit that from time to time I just dream about how neat it would be to just give up on original and personalize it. I've always fancied the black and white checkerboard patterns that some people have used - Check out the '66 Safari up for bid on Ebay right now. It just met its reserve at $3500 and it really look nice. The guy selling it appears to have done all the hard stuff (that I still have yet to do)- can't believe he was willing to let it go for that low of a price! Wonder what it will sell for in the end?
moogie32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2005, 10:41 PM   #25
3 Rivet Member
 
moogie32's Avatar
 
1967 22' Safari
Branford , Connecticut
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 215
Images: 11
update April 16-17

Well - out comes the interior! It's amazing how much easier it is to remove it in the direction it was actually installed. Very satisfying to be able to remove large hunks of it as opposed to just small aluminum pieces of trim and a couple of screws.

So, for the record, I removed both front gauchos, the box that surrounds the fresh water tank and water pump, the wall on the gaucho side of the fridge, the cabinet above the fridge, and the overhead bins above the gaucho in the kitchen area. The garage is getting pretty full - I have a lot of refinishing to do. Did anyone ever find out whether Sherman Williams sells catalyzed varnish?
It's a pretty thin layer of veneer - I'm guessing I should hand sand as opposed to pulling out the belt sander which would make things go along much quicker.....any suggestions are always welcome! Diane
moogie32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005, 09:35 AM   #26
Mel
Rivet Master
 
Mel's Avatar
 
1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 1,445
Quote:
Originally Posted by moogie32
It's a pretty thin layer of veneer - I'm guessing I should hand sand as opposed to pulling out the belt sander which would make things go along much quicker.....any suggestions are always welcome! Diane
Hi Diane,

I am going through the same process (almost finished with the cabinets, thank goodness!) It is a very thin layer of veneer, but I had good luck with a palm sander. I started with 100 grit, then 150, then 220 for the final pass. I then coated the cabinets & doors with a layer of boiled linseed oil, then a layer of Danish oil. After letting the oil soak in/dry for a week, I followed with spray Varathane. The cabinets now have a nice, glowy finish.

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005, 09:42 PM   #27
3 Rivet Member
 
moogie32's Avatar
 
1967 22' Safari
Branford , Connecticut
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 215
Images: 11
Great info!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel
Hi Diane,

I am going through the same process (almost finished with the cabinets, thank goodness!) It is a very thin layer of veneer, but I had good luck with a palm sander. I started with 100 grit, then 150, then 220 for the final pass. I then coated the cabinets & doors with a layer of boiled linseed oil, then a layer of Danish oil. After letting the oil soak in/dry for a week, I followed with spray Varathane. The cabinets now have a nice, glowy finish.

Mel
Hi there Mel, Thanks for your reply! This is great information - do you have any photos of the finished cabinets? I noticed that when I removed portions of my cabinets that had been tucked behind other parts they had remained very light in color. Does you technique keep the lightness? Is the spray varathane from a can or would you spray it with a gun and compressor? What condition is the rest of your Safari in? I have soooo much more to do to mine!
moogie32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 01:48 AM   #28
Rivet Master
 
C Johnson's Avatar
 
1965 17' Caravel
1968 28' Ambassador
Butte , Montana
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 1,199
Images: 326
Send a message via MSN to C Johnson Send a message via Yahoo to C Johnson
Hi, I thought I'd ad my 2 cents. I just took the bath out of my 1965 Caravel. They do put the bath in first. I had a heck of a time getting it out with out removing the rest of the interior skin. I think I may have to remove it to get it back in, however. They rivet the bath in and then cover those rivets with the interior skin so you have to lift up the overlapping skin to get at the rivets holding the fiberglass in around the top,
C Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 10:02 AM   #29
Mel
Rivet Master
 
Mel's Avatar
 
1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 1,445
Quote:
Originally Posted by moogie32
Hi there Mel, Thanks for your reply! This is great information - do you have any photos of the finished cabinets? I noticed that when I removed portions of my cabinets that had been tucked behind other parts they had remained very light in color. Does you technique keep the lightness? Is the spray varathane from a can or would you spray it with a gun and compressor? What condition is the rest of your Safari in? I have soooo much more to do to mine!
Hi Diane,

I'll try to get some pictures posted this weekend, as I haven't taken any since I put the doors back on. The cabinets were all a very light color before, but we removed all of that and the finish is now a natural, glowy oak. The spray varathane I use comes in a can and is available in the paint section of the home stores (we used a satin finish). We've been working on our Safari (affectionately nicknamed "Piggybank") since last August, and we still have a lengthy to-do list, but we're getting there! Like eljay, we used Armstrong tiles and cut them down to 9X9, but ours are in a checkerboard pattern of yellow and white - really brightens up the place!

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 09:53 PM   #30
3 Rivet Member
 
moogie32's Avatar
 
1967 22' Safari
Branford , Connecticut
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 215
Images: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by C Johnson
Hi, I thought I'd ad my 2 cents. I just took the bath out of my 1965 Caravel. They do put the bath in first. I had a heck of a time getting it out with out removing the rest of the interior skin. I think I may have to remove it to get it back in, however. They rivet the bath in and then cover those rivets with the interior skin so you have to lift up the overlapping skin to get at the rivets holding the fiberglass in around the top,
I have almost the same problem with my tub rivets, it's just in another area. There are some that you can't drill out at the base of the tub right next to the wall that seperates the bath from the trailer. With the exception of the brass fittings holding the bath fixture in (which I am thinking I'll just have to give up and cut through) the only thing keeping the whole bathroom from coming out are those rivets and that is forcing the wall to come down which is presenting a ton of problems on its own. I just got to the point where I decided maybe it was time to pull everything out and although I'm only part way into that process I'm happy that's the route I'm taking. It will really give me the chance to fix things correctly and inspect the floors. My trailer has its share of funky smells and I know they are directly related to the floor. What work did you do on your bath?
moogie32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 09:57 PM   #31
3 Rivet Member
 
moogie32's Avatar
 
1967 22' Safari
Branford , Connecticut
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 215
Images: 11
I love checkerboard floors!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel
Hi Diane,

I'll try to get some pictures posted this weekend, as I haven't taken any since I put the doors back on. The cabinets were all a very light color before, but we removed all of that and the finish is now a natural, glowy oak. The spray varathane I use comes in a can and is available in the paint section of the home stores (we used a satin finish). We've been working on our Safari (affectionately nicknamed "Piggybank") since last August, and we still have a lengthy to-do list, but we're getting there! Like eljay, we used Armstrong tiles and cut them down to 9X9, but ours are in a checkerboard pattern of yellow and white - really brightens up the place!

Mel
Hiya, Mel! I can't wait to see your pictures! I am very interested in what your floor looks like too. I have decided it's probably a good idea to get rid of those old tiles (thanks Eljay!) because of the asbestos issue and am really thinking about doing a black and white checkerboard pattern. It's so not original but cool in a retro sort of way. What have you done and what do you plan to do on Piggybank? What shape was she in when you got her? Aren't Safaris great?
moogie32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005, 01:31 AM   #32
Rivet Master
 
C Johnson's Avatar
 
1965 17' Caravel
1968 28' Ambassador
Butte , Montana
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 1,199
Images: 326
Send a message via MSN to C Johnson Send a message via Yahoo to C Johnson
Still in progress, I will be posting pics as I do the work. The bath is down getting refinished. I don't have the time to do it. they are fixing all the cracks and filling some holes.
C Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005, 10:06 AM   #33
Mel
Rivet Master
 
Mel's Avatar
 
1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 1,445
Quote:
Originally Posted by moogie32
Hiya, Mel! I can't wait to see your pictures! I am very interested in what your floor looks like too. I have decided it's probably a good idea to get rid of those old tiles (thanks Eljay!) because of the asbestos issue and am really thinking about doing a black and white checkerboard pattern. It's so not original but cool in a retro sort of way. What have you done and what do you plan to do on Piggybank? What shape was she in when you got her? Aren't Safaris great?
Hi Diane,

We've been busy on our trailer. So far, we have refinished all of the woodwork, replacing when necessary. We only had a couple of small areas of floor rot, and were able to fix them with Git-Rot. In the kitchen, the old stove/oven was too rusty to save, so we fabricated a new countertop and added a cooktop and a combination microwave/convection oven. The new laminate is silver. We bought a new fridge and will cut an oak panel for the front, to match the rest of the cabinets. I'm still working on the curtains, but essentially they are two-sided panels that will be held in place with little clips that slip right onto the existing carriers. On the outside, we have replaced all lights, coated the bumper and step with POR-15, and are adding aluminum tanks. My current project is the windows - I am polishing up the screen frames and replacing the screen, and when I get brave, will start replacing the window gaskets. We still have a lengthy to-do list, which includes replacing the axle, wheels, and tires, installing a Maxx Fan, and adding the floor tiles in the bathroom. I'll get the pictures figured out later - while there's daylight, I must be out working!

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 11:07 PM   #34
3 Rivet Member
 
moogie32's Avatar
 
1967 22' Safari
Branford , Connecticut
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 215
Images: 11
it's progress....

Had several hours at my disposal Sunday to do more yanking and probing...Plugged her into 110 for the first time to see what works and what doesn't...the good news is most of my lights and my fan work. Most of the outlets work but the Dolmetic ...nothing! At least it doesn't work on electricity which is a big drag because I really wanted to reuse it. Does anyone rebuild these things? Will anyone even recharge ammonia? Oh, well, at least it out which was no small feat!

Got the streetside gaucho out and (drumroll please) the partition wall and bath are out as well! It is so much easier getting these things out in the order they were put in! Still have to remove the galley and both closets and that will be it for the interior. My brother came over and after observing things suggested that since I need to replace the floor in the bath and also from the door forward that I should just do the whole floor. So far, the rest seems quite sound. Aside from the obvious advantages of checking out the frame (which I could also do by removing the belly pan) would anyone do this? It seems like a lot more work, although, I guess if the interior is out already....

And I continue to be amazed at how much space everything takes up in the garage. There are trailer parts everywhere! I have made a resolution that during the week I will do something small each night (we'll see what happens here) just to keep things moving. Hopefully the rest will be out by next weekend and I can start tackling removing mechanical stuff....I want to attach a progress photo here but my computer is really acting up (think it has a virus) so I'll do it on a seperate post rather than risk losing this update.
moogie32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 11:10 PM   #35
3 Rivet Member
 
moogie32's Avatar
 
1967 22' Safari
Branford , Connecticut
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 215
Images: 11
Hey there Mel and C,

Wow! You guys are an inspiration to me! C - I can't believe how far you've gotten into your coach - I think our bathrooms are kindred spirits! Did you pull off all your inner skins just to inspect and clean up dead mousies? Can't wait to see you pictures, Mel - especially your woodwork.... Di
moogie32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 01:09 AM   #36
Rivet Master
 
C Johnson's Avatar
 
1965 17' Caravel
1968 28' Ambassador
Butte , Montana
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 1,199
Images: 326
Send a message via MSN to C Johnson Send a message via Yahoo to C Johnson
I had this smell that would not give up. Dead mice plus a wet and rotted floor are the culprits. When it rained I noticed that the floor in the back was always wet too. Thats how this all got started !
C Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 10:49 AM   #37
Mel
Rivet Master
 
Mel's Avatar
 
1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 1,445
Warning! Messy work site!

Hi Diane,

These aren't my favorite pictures (I can't get to those right now) but they should give you an idea of the color difference now that I have refinished the woodwork in our Safari. Since the "during" pic was taken, I have reattached the cupboard doors, cleaned up that mess, and waxed the floor.

I sympathize with you on having your garage full of parts, too - our garage and deck were full, so I had to move the woodworking operation up to our neighbor's garage (what a guy - he even comes out to offer beer while I'm working! )

Our progress this weekend included installing the MaxxFan (it's great - we got to try it out in 70 degree weather!), replacing the screens, installing the antenna, and laminating and reinstalling the table. Feels good to cross things off the list!

Mel
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	before medium.JPG
Views:	82
Size:	45.9 KB
ID:	11768   Click image for larger version

Name:	after med.JPG
Views:	100
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	11769  

Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 08:30 PM   #38
3 Rivet Member
 
moogie32's Avatar
 
1967 22' Safari
Branford , Connecticut
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 215
Images: 11
Hi Guys! Wow, Mel, I love your floor! Your wood looks beautiful with it too - I think I'll get started refinishing mine as soon as the bath stuff is cleaned up and devoid of anything that shouldn't be painted. I'm dying to start sanding (let's see how long that lasts) but I'm trying to be organized about this - so first the bathroom, next the cabinets. During weekends with bigger blocks of time I'll continue disassembly. C, I sympathize with you and funky smells. The Safari wasn't too bad when I dragged it home but with the warmer weather it's taken on...well, let's just say it's distinctive odor! I think, though, it's mostly mold - if something's dead in there it was long enough ago that it doesn't smell like that anymore. Well, whatever virus that's taken over my computer will not allow me to chat tonight (or open my email for about two weeks) so I think it's time to wipe out my hard drive! Night!
moogie32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 09:49 PM   #39
Rivet Master
 
LuminumTraila's Avatar
 
2006 19' Safari SE
NW of Boston , Massachusetts
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 987
Images: 3
wood?

Mel - Don't mean to sidetrack this thread, but can you tell me what kind of wood is in your Safari? I'm working on a '76 Safari and the one thing I'd like to replace is the plastic and plastic laminate that's in it. I'd like to use whatever is used in the older trailers but I've never actually been in one. Is it a veneered plywood? What type of wood? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks! -J
__________________
Doug & Jamie, AIR #650
LuminumTraila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005, 09:16 AM   #40
Mel
Rivet Master
 
Mel's Avatar
 
1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 1,445
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougjamie
Mel - Don't mean to sidetrack this thread, but can you tell me what kind of wood is in your Safari? I'm working on a '76 Safari and the one thing I'd like to replace is the plastic and plastic laminate that's in it. I'd like to use whatever is used in the older trailers but I've never actually been in one. Is it a veneered plywood? What type of wood? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks! -J
Hi!

The wood in our Safari is oak veneered plywood (we have purchased replacement pieces at Home Depot.) I have attached a better picture - the wall at the far end is a replacement piece, treated with just Danish oil and varathane. Good luck on your project!

Mel
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	couch after.JPG
Views:	77
Size:	49.5 KB
ID:	11796  
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
1968 Safari 22' :: 1968 Airstream Safari Darrengj Airstream Registry Discussions 1 02-09-2020 08:28 AM
Our '56 Safari (aka Our Retirement Home) SafariSteve 1956 Safari 41 09-04-2013 06:55 PM
Safari :: 2006 Airstream Safari SE Mrs Silverback Airstream Registry Discussions 0 08-19-2011 09:31 AM
New Safari owner 2001sport 1966 - 1968 Safari 10 06-24-2011 12:30 PM


Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by the Airstream, Inc. or any of its affiliates. Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:45 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.