RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 10-13-2004, 10:06 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
Kevin has also posted excellent links for converting the round plug 7 pin to the flat prong round plug. Basically, if the trailer power cord has "round" pins, you will need to convert them to a round plug, "flat" prong plug to fit your truck. So far, the trailer looks good! I'd also check the age of those tires... you may need new rims if those are the orginal split rims. I don't think you will need to worry too much about functioning brakes with the F350.
Marc
3Ms75Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 11:09 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

1967 17' Caravel
Reno , Nevada
Hitch/Sway Control/Dist. Bars

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander64
Greetings saahieb!

The hitch pictured with the coach is a Reese Strait-Line with Dual Cam Sway Control. It may be very close to the same vintage as the coach. The hitch head appears to be of the "welded" type meaning that the drawbar and hitch head are essentially two pieces that have been welded together to make one - - this was quite common as recently as 20 years ago - - today it is quite rare, and you may have difficulty finding a welder who is willing to separate and rejoin the pieces (it is a little more complex than just separating and reattaching as the hitch head angle must be taken into account as well which requires a welder with hitch fabrication experience). The Trunion style hitch head/drawbar assemblies that are bolt-together are readily available through Reese at: Reese Weight Distribution Ball Mounts. It appears that other than that one small problem the hitch is complete.

Both of my coaches have the same hitch shown on your coach - - only I have upgraded to the adjustable hitch heads to make changing tow vehicles a bit easier. I think that you will find the hitch to be quite functional - - if my suspicion is correct and the weight distribution bars are 750 pound rated, you may find them a bit heavy for use with your F350 - - to get the best operation from the Dual Cam with a heavy tow vehicle a lower rated bar (either 350 or 500 pounds) is usually necessary (I utilize 350 pound bars with my Minuet 6.0 Metre -- 3,100 pounds gross weight/575 pounds gross tongue weight).

Good luck with your project!

Kevin
Kevin- A delayed 'thank you' and another quick question. We will FINALLY be picking up our new trailer at the end of March and need to get a few things in order. First of all, from online source it looks as though the hitch ball height for a '67 Safari is 21.5", hitch wt. of 405 lbs. and a dry wt. of 3450 lbs. Is there a post you can recommend that defines these terms. Specifically, how does the hitch height relate to my tow vehicle (F350 w/ larger tires and level kit, NOTE: from ground to bottom inner lip of receiver is 20.5") and will I need a drawbar that is adjustable in height? Seems like 21.5" is a bit high for hitch ball height? If I email some pics to the guys at Reese and give them my specs, I'm assuming they'll be able to hook me up with the right equipment? Any info. is greatly appreciated!
saahieb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2005, 12:21 AM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
'67 Safari Newbie

Greetings saahieb!

Quote:
Originally Posted by saahieb
Kevin- A delayed 'thank you' and another quick question. We will FINALLY be picking up our new trailer at the end of March and need to get a few things in order. First of all, from online source it looks as though the hitch ball height for a '67 Safari is 21.5", hitch wt. of 405 lbs. and a dry wt. of 3450 lbs. Is there a post you can recommend that defines these terms. Specifically, how does the hitch height relate to my tow vehicle (F350 w/ larger tires and level kit, NOTE: from ground to bottom inner lip of receiver is 20.5") and will I need a drawbar that is adjustable in height? Seems like 21.5" is a bit high for hitch ball height? If I email some pics to the guys at Reese and give them my specs, I'm assuming they'll be able to hook me up with the right equipment? Any info. is greatly appreciated!
When setting the hitch height on your tow vehicle, you want to be on as near level ground as you can find. The hitch height is measured from the road surface to the top of the ball - - with your tow vehicle, a little bit low would be better than a little high. Given your measurement to the base of the receiver opening, you shouldn't have too much problem getting a workable drawbar. You may also find that you will need a slightly lower ball height if the DuraTorque axle has any wear (I know that on both of my coaches with original axle(s) the ball height was as much as 1.75" lower than factory specifications). The idea with the ball height is to have the trailer and tow vehicle level when the hitch if fully adjusted.

For the best ride with your coach, you will likely want to stay with 500 pound weight distribution bars - - lighter bars are a virtual requirement if you plan to use the Reese Dual Cam System as heavier bars will not give you enough adjustment.

The weights that you quote are empty, unladen, or dry weights. These weight do not include any options, fluids, nor any personal possessions. The actual towed weight will be greater in both cases - - as an example - - the factory empty weight on my '64 Overlander is 3,930 lbs., but its actual empty weight is 4,440 lbs. Its factory empty hitch weight is 405 lbs., but its actual empty hitch weight is 465 lbs. When loaded for a vacation, the Overlander's gross weight varies between 6,000 lbs. and 6,100 lbs. while the hitch weight is in the near vicinity of 750 lbs.

So far as getting the proper drawbar, your local Reese dealer will likely be your best source as he/she should be able to measure your truck's receiver height and match up the correct drawbar for the ball height that you need. You can find your nearest Reese dealer by entering your ZipCode in the dealer finder at the top of the webpage linked below:

http://www.reeseproducts.com/

For a little insurance, you might want to consider a drawbar that would allow adjusting from 18" to 21.5" ball heights to accommodate possible reduction in hitch height due to axle wear.

Good luck with your hitch setup!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 12:40 AM   #24
2 Rivet Member

1967 17' Caravel
Reno , Nevada
Kevin- Thanks again for the solid info., REALLY appreciated! I've sent all my info. to Reese to digest, I'll see what they come back with. A couple of loose ends to tie up and I'll be on my way to Lincoln, Nebraska to rendezvous with previous owners and make the transfer. YEA!!! -Steve
Old 03-07-2005, 02:01 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

1967 17' Caravel
Reno , Nevada
1967 Owner's Manual

Posting here since I can't create a new thread... Was just wondering if there is anyone who has a copy of (or online link to) the 1967 trailer onwer's manual. I'm just trying to get better acquainted my our 'new' '67 Safari before I pick it up at the end of the month. I downloaded a 1966 OM from the VAC website and was wondering if it might be quite similar to the '67 OM as '66, '67 and '68 were of the same ilk. I have seen the reference to Helen Davis Sect. Svcs., but thought I might try to save a buck or two... Thanks in advance!
Old 03-07-2005, 02:35 PM   #26
Creampuff

1957 22' Flying Cloud
1971 31' Sovereign
2014 25' Flying Cloud
Malibu , California
Quote:
. I have seen the reference to Helen Davis Sect. Svcs., but thought I might try to save a buck or two... Thanks in advance!
Saahieb:
Helen davis S.S. is probably your only option.
The manual does not 'just photocopy' as it is odd dimensions. She sells the photocopied version in non orig. size and it's marginal reproduction quality but that's all that's out there IMHO. Probably the '66 version will help you til you get her landed.
AIR #189

"If aluminum isn't magnetic- why am I so attracted to to it?"
Creampuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 02:37 PM   #27
Rivet Master

Lisle , Illinois
The 1967 trailers are a little different. The biggest difference is the floor plans.
What are you needing to know? I have both the Sect. Services copy and now a original.
AIR#3788 TAC IL-10
No trailers...
till is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 03:12 PM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
'67 Safari Newbie

Greetings saahieb!

Quote:
Posting here since I can't create a new thread... Was just wondering if there is anyone who has a copy of (or online link to) the 1967 trailer onwer's manual. I'm just trying to get better acquainted my our 'new' '67 Safari before I pick it up at the end of the month. I downloaded a 1966 OM from the VAC website and was wondering if it might be quite similar to the '67 OM as '66, '67 and '68 were of the same ilk. I have seen the reference to Helen Davis Sect. Svcs., but thought I might try to save a buck or two... Thanks in advance!
There are essentially three routes to obtaining a manual for your '67 Safari. As was mentioned earlier, Secretarial Services can provide a plastic-comb-bound photocopy of the original manual -- see the information quoted below from the Vintage Airstream Club website:

<<Manuals

Q: I need an owners and service manual for my Airstream. Where can I get one?
A: The first owners manuals were published in 1964. Prior to that, the owner received a brown envelope containing parts lists and other helpful information on the accessories in his trailer. The VAC has started making these available in the Members Archive section. A service manual with instructions for performing service operations did not exist until 1972.
You can get photocopies of owners manual (1964+) and service manuals (1972-1986) from:

Helen Davis Secretarial Services
PO Box 484 Sidney, OH 45365
(937)492-8885

Prices are about $33 and $70 respectively. After 1986 the Owners Manuals included available service information.>>

The second route is to watch E-Bay. Once in a great while, either a good used original or an NOS manual is offered by someone via E-Bay. The offerings are typically later model at least recently.

A third possibility would be to contact Ace Fogdall RV in Cedar Falls, Iowa. They recently moved to a new location and uncovered a number of original manuals that they are now offering for sale. See the link below for the information about the manuals that they are offering for sale:

http://www.acefogdallrv.com/mypage.h...RVPartsCatalog

Good luck with your search for a manual!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 07:03 PM   #29
2 Rivet Member

1967 17' Caravel
Reno , Nevada
Till- Nothing in particular. Those things are usually just crammed full of interesting tidbits and are always nice to have. Where did you find your original?
Old 03-07-2005, 08:57 PM   #30
3 Rivet Member

I have it!!

saahieb-
I have the original manuel that came with my trailer.
I would be happy to copy it for you and send it. I did this
for someone once before and it worked out fine. The only catch is
that it may be a week or so- I'm writing a paper. I have access to free copying so the price is right!
hhuber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 10:26 PM   #31
3 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
Branford , Connecticut
Heidi, I have been looking for a manual for my '67 Safari too! Is there any way you could make 2 copies? I'd gladly pay you for your time and any other expenses incurred along the way!
moogie32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005, 12:33 PM   #32
Rivet Master

Lisle , Illinois
The original copy I have came with my 67 Overlander (aka parts). It also came with a copy of the 1967 sales book. I see that Hiedi has y'all covered.
AIR#3788 TAC IL-10
No trailers...
till is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005, 04:10 PM   #33
2 Rivet Member

1967 17' Caravel
Reno , Nevada
Heidi- That would be great!!! Thanks a bunch. At your convenience, I'm not in any huge hurry. I'll gladly reimburse you for any costs incurred and time spent at the photocopier. Best way to reach me is at legumes@sbcglobal.net or (775) 338-8509 (Reno, NV). Thanks again!

-Steve
Old 03-08-2005, 09:25 PM   #34
3 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
Branford , Connecticut
Thanks too, Till! I'll keep you posted on what's up. By the way, Heidi, I love your coach under "The Blue Swallow" sign. Was just there in November - what a great place. No cool vintage trailer or car, but it was a memory that will stay with me for a long time. Nice to know an Airstream will fit under it. Maybe I can try that for myself someday. Did you sleep in a wigwam too? Diane
moogie32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 10:01 PM   #35
3 Rivet Member

Hi,
I'll be glad to make the copies for ya'll. My paper is due next week so it may be after that. (Grad school has slowed down my AS activities alot.)

Diane, we just happened to be passing through Teucamcari on the way to Santa Fe. I didnt sleep in a tepee but I saw them. I love that picture too- I've had it as my avatar for 1.5 years but I have never found one I like better.

Heidi
hhuber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 09:36 AM   #36
2 Rivet Member

1967 17' Caravel
Reno , Nevada
Yea! She's finally home... 3000 miles later. Pulled back into Reno late last night after a week long trip to Des Moines, IA for a rendezvous with previous owners. No problems what-so-ever with the trip back. Twink, as our kids have named her, pulled beautifully, even with all of the wind we had. Caravaned a couple of times with other A/S owners along the way. She's almost 40 yeals old and certainly needs some attention and updating, but we're just thrilled to finally have her here in Reno! Heidi, any chance of getting that manual soon, I've gots lots of questions and it would certainly help. Thanks!!!

-Steve
Old 04-12-2005, 02:27 PM   #37
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Sahieb,
I was wondering, why did you put the trailer up for sale a week after you got it home?

azflycaster
azflycaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 10:32 PM   #38
2 Rivet Member

1967 17' Caravel
Reno , Nevada
Long story, made short

Long and short is trailer was misrepreseted by Sellers. It was supposed to have sounds floors, that was simply not true. So, instead of some cosmetic updating, re-upholstering, new curtains, minor systems testing/troubleshooting and a good cleaning, I'm now looking at subfloor repair and/or replacement in the bathroom and possibly by the front door. Dissapointed...ABSOLUTELY!!! But I'm just not in the position right now to have a project trailer (no large workspace, no time with full-time job and two children under 5 y/o). We really wanted something that we could throw our stuff in and go (we have 7 pending camping trips around the Lake Tahoe/Lassen Nat'l. Park area for summer). So, I'm hoping to sell for $5K. This puts me out $4K, as I paid $9K. Lesson well learned. If anyone is interested let me know. It has a good base to work from as everything is original inside and mostly complete, pretty clean, no smokers film on vinyl and tows nicely on new tires and new braking system. Just more work than I really want to take on. I can be reached at (775) 853-3844 (home between 6-9pm) or (775) 338-8509 (cell, anytime) and I'll be happy to tell you all I can about the trailer.

Steve
Old 04-12-2005, 11:45 PM   #39
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
Bummer. I am truely sorry to hear about this - it's really tough to buy a trailer long distance. You must be smoldering mad! This kind of misrepesentaion really torques me!

So.. are you still going camping this summer?

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 11:50 PM   #40
Creampuff

1957 22' Flying Cloud
1971 31' Sovereign
2014 25' Flying Cloud
Malibu , California
saahieb:
I'm so sorry to hear that your dream trailer has turned into a nightmare! It's really disheartening to get ripped off like that. A 9K unrestored Safari should definitely not need that kind of work! Hopefully you will not be too discouraged to keep looking for something mo' better, mo' local !
It might help to post the seller's name so no one else ever doe's business with the crook!
AIR #189

"If aluminum isn't magnetic- why am I so attracted to to it?"
Creampuff is offline   Reply With Quote