Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Safari > 1966 - 1968 Safari
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-15-2007, 10:26 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1963 22' Flying Cloud
1962 22' Flying Cloud
1968 22' Safari
Bradenton , Florida
Question 2 light switches?

Hi Ya'll,
There are two 12 V switches located by just in front of the door. One to the left of the window (near the front of the camper) operated the front porch light.......the one to the right of the window, nearest the door is a mystery. (p.s. I do not have a light over the door)

Quick Update on the '68 Safari
sub floor....in
electrical....all working now, one mystery (for now, control panel coming soon)
plumbing...new
hot water (electric, new)
Still smiling and having a blast, going campin' in the '71 this weekend
63Airstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 10:41 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Mystery switch

It is most likely the switch that controls the light over the galley. It was provided so you could turn the light on [at the light] above the galley and use the switch to turn it off and on when entering the trailer, so as not to have to stumble around in the dark. Try it and report back to us if it works. Ed
FORUMS MEMBER SINCE 12/16/2004AIR#7110
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 10:42 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Not sure which of your trailers you are talking about...I have a '72 GT with two switches. One for a light directly over the exterior door, and one round flood light that is forward of the door on the exterior, and illuminates the entire curb side.
Could it be that yours was wired for a light that was never installed? I wonder...
Dave
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 12:01 AM   #4

Look what Chuck had ot say to me on 01/15/2007. Just do a search "Electrical Wire Colors Equals What Device".... Nevertheless, here it is and I hope it help as it helped me:
"like the 2 switches by the door; you said that on yours, one is above the other? mine are side by side.

anyway, one of those switches controls the "porch light". (the outside light over the door). The other controls power to the light over the galley. but its not a "3-way" switch, which is kind of confusing. There is a switch on the galley fixture, too. The door switch lets 12v get to the fixture; the switch on the fixture turns the light on and off. If you leave the fixture swtich "on", then you can turn the light on and off using the door switch. If the door switch is in the "off" position, the galley light won't work at all.

the other switch that is further forward controlls the "scare light", which is the big round light on the side of the trailer, just forward of the window. The switch on mine is adjacent to the fixture. (also forward of the window)".
gean235 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 09:03 AM   #5
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
Mine doesn't have the "scare light" you refer to, but it does have a light that sits under the trailer, just above the front steps. If you have a light there, then that could be what the switch controls.

Pat
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 09:16 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
Switches

On my 69 one switch is for the scare lite the other is for the overhead main lite.
Melody Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 09:23 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

In my 70 overlander those switches are side by side. #1 is outside light over door, # 2 is ceiling light closest to galley or fridge and feed the switch on that light. It is wire per the schematic. I am looking to replace those 2 switches since they are intermittent. I am presently looking for a source.
Old 01-23-2007, 11:20 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Well?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54Airstream
Hi Ya'll,
There are two 12 V switches located by just in front of the door. One to the left of the window (near the front of the camper) operated the front porch light.......the one to the right of the window, nearest the door is a mystery. (p.s. I do not have a light over the door)

Quick Update on the '68 Safari
sub floor....in
electrical....all working now, one mystery (for now, control panel coming soon)
plumbing...new
hot water (electric, new)
Still smiling and having a blast, going campin' in the '71 this weekend
How did you make out on the two switches? Were we of any help? Inquiring minds want to know... Ed
FORUMS MEMBER SINCE 12/16/2004AIR#7110
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 08:16 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

A former owner of one of my units wired a switch in the electric jack to a switch just inside the door......

Who knows?
baldeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 10:11 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1963 22' Flying Cloud
1962 22' Flying Cloud
1968 22' Safari
Bradenton , Florida
Ed,
I do have the answer, Mystery Solved! The light switch that is forward the window is to the "Scare Light" ( I didn't know it had a name, I called it a porch light), the mystery switch by the door, does the overhead light and the galley light. However, the reason I couldn't figure it out is the galley is not a 3 way, and it needs to be on for the switch to operate from the door. That explains the mystery "short wire" in the control panel. It goes to the galley light. Thank You All for your help. If anyone is interested, I will post a picture of the switches and a copy of the wiring schematics in my Operator/Service Manual.
Amy
63Airstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 10:14 AM   #11
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Glad you got it figured out.
Dave
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote