Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Safari > 1966 - 1968 Safari
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-20-2002, 09:05 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1973 23' Safari
Brevard , North Carolina
Talking 1967

We are new to having an Airstream and we have the 22' 67 with the settee and not the dinette in the bow. ...or we did until we took it out and now we just have a space.

I hope some other '67 owners will post here and we can commerserate and support each other.

I have seen some pictures of a few others 67's and written to some folks so I know they are out there.

I just wanted to start some posts in this column an maybe some others will follow. Nobody ever called me shy!!!
Old 08-20-2002, 11:17 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
you go girl
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2002, 06:05 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Dillon , South Carolina
Smile Dry Weight

What is the dry weight of your 1967 unit?
urb2165 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2002, 11:27 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1973 23' Safari
Brevard , North Carolina
weight

It's 3240 pounds base weight, if I'm not mistaken. We have the model without the dinette in front. Right now it's a lot less since we ripped out the beds, the bath plastic and fiberglass stuff several wood walls and all the overhead cabinets...just the floor. fridge, sink and stove left and they are next. We are checking to see if the fridge works today.

We got the brakes working well and now have to do some body work to the back bumper and have a metal box fabticated for the holding tank...it's barely strong enuf to hold air right now!!! A little waste water and it would be sitting on the driveway!!! This trailer is definitely in the fixit stage.
Old 10-12-2002, 08:00 PM   #5
Creampuff

2022 27' Flying Cloud
2016 25' International
Airstream - Other
Malibu , California
Lexxy:
I've got the identical coach in fairly original condition (with some upgrades).If you need to compare notes on anything,let me know.Sounds like you are going DEEP on this baby!I hope you don't mean you are adding anything to the bumper - as that's a definite no-no!
Murray
AIR #189

"If aluminum isn't magnetic- why am I so attracted to to it?"
Creampuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2002, 01:39 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1973 23' Safari
Brevard , North Carolina
welcome

So glad you posted...we are just getting back into the project since the weather got a bit cooler. We are grinding rust from the underside frame in back after dropping the holding tank box. There was a leak in the gate valve for what must have been 20 years and it rusted the whole thing out. We will have a new metal box made. The rust on the trailer frame isn't bad at all...comes right off and no metal is rusted thru so we are going to prime and paint and have the bumper removed pounded straight and welded back on and we will make a new bottom to the hose box there.

So you have the settee arrangement? We are building in a new settee and dinette where the old bunk was. We will only have it equipped for 2 to sleep then.

Yesterday I bought the paint and primer to do the head plastic and fiberglass that I yanked out and cleaned up and stored in my guest room. Yes, we have a project started but we do have vision. I had a nifty drawing until my computer blew up and now I have to draw it again.

We aren't adding any weight and are, infact, deducting weight by eliminating the furnace and big waterheater.

Have you done much to yours?
Old 10-13-2002, 06:00 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
clarkston , Georgia
Thumbs up 67

Got our belly pan down and scraped lots of rust from our frame- lucky as well that only one place is rusted thru and it isn't that bad at all (a 1" hole that I hope to get welded over) Painted the whole thing with rustoleum rusty metal primer, let dry then did a coat of black enamal over all and it looks great!!! Ia'm glad I got to it before rust got bad.
Got a trick 4 U
I took the 59cent plastic wire brush- only found at big lots- and taped it to a flexible piece of plastic and used it like a bottle brush to ream out the steel frame in the tongue. This operation yielded some rust and debris but i plan to tape a brush to the stick and prime then paint the insides of these rails to help preserve them from the inside as well as the outside. Good to know we will be riding on a solid foundation for a good long while.
I took a spard tire holder off our rear bumper and anticipate grinding off some welded steel plates on the bumper-it's so Hollywood to watch those sparks fly--I reckon I'll wait till I have an audience to do that one!!! We enjoy our 67 Safari22' big bunches, have named her Aurv the Silver Surfer.
tod47d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2002, 11:24 PM   #8
Creampuff

2022 27' Flying Cloud
2016 25' International
Airstream - Other
Malibu , California
Ours is named "Creampuff"!
We've had her about 8 months and try not to take anything apart that will take more than a week to restore-just in case I get the urge to go 'open roading'!So far I've redone the floor with a light oak "Pergo".redone some 12V wiring to get taillights and running lights,worked on the Univolt,restored the orig.water heater,frig.and stove and now working on the furnace.Hey,if you're junking that Suburban furnace-I could use the fan motor!
Also have one gaucho redone and working on the second.Lexxy-mine is not the dinnete model but has the full gaucho in front with the fold down table curbside.I have also been replacing the window and door weathersripping and window clips.Had to put in a new front window as someone poked something through the rockshield and window,but they were due anyways.I went with the local shops advice and used Lexan for shatter resistance,but it scratches easily and doesn't seal real well on the new rubber due to it's flex.
I've got a Cyclo polisher but haven't got more than a couple of segments stripped yet ready for polish.I notice a lot of oxidation on the stripped ones and am wishing I hadn't started!!?Oh well ,restoration is not an overnight thing!
AIR #189

Old 10-14-2002, 12:01 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1973 23' Safari
Brevard , North Carolina
whew!! Gasp!!

We got the rust out of the whole back frame section...both of us on our backs with drills with wire brushes in them then scrubbed it with steel wool and mineral spirits and primed it well.

I really need to know how the metal holding tank box is supposed to be held in place in the very rear. I know that in the front of the box there is an angle iron and we are replacing that because it is just too rusted. We are also having the bolt holder pieces rewelded on cuz they are about to break off but the trailer frame was in perfect shape throughout under only light rust...we are so impressed. Not a bad job at all now it's almost over.

Would one of you look just under where the very back of the metal holding tank pan is and see if there in another angle iron that also goes along there too, right near where there are 2 angled strips that hold the bumper box that holds the drain hose.

I have the holding tank and box in the suv waiting to go to a metal shop tomorrow to have a duplicate made.

Creampuff [cute name], This furnace motor might just help you out but I have no idea if it works....it came in a bunch of parts when we got this trailer for $300 in July. You don't ask many questions at that price! I wouldn't be surprised if it did tho. It's so warm here that we just figured we'd get an A/C with a heat strip instead. Let me go dig thru the barn to find it and write me at lexxy@comcast.net for more info.
Old 10-15-2002, 07:55 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
clarkston , Georgia
Thumbs up 67 belly

Lex- Angle iron --just like the other side --bolted on to tabs to the frame there is just enough left of ours to tell- I'm going to try to remove ours now without breaking the tabs--but am not optimistic about our prospects. I may have to cherry up the nuts with propane torch-careful not to burn it all up!!! I am going to rivet the frame up ecxept may want to use screws in the area near the door where I plan to have a small hole welded-patched over.
Old 10-15-2002, 04:36 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

1973 23' Safari
Brevard , North Carolina
box

I figured there was another angle iron...another person told me that too.

I found the best guy today who made my metal box in one afternoon!!! I'ts done! wow!! And as soon as I get a new gate valve he is going to help me with the welding on the frame below with the angle iron and bumper...what a find!!! We are saving enough to buy a new fridge! Yea!!!

Sometimes when I look at this big mess I think we must be nuts but I remember all the other times we have done these kinds of DIY adventures.

I just can't wait to do the decorating...that's the cherry on top!!! I have even found a resource here of quality foam and upholstery and made a good buddy out of the owner there. I am asking for a sailmakers sewing machine for Christmas so I can make the covers[and use on our sailboat]. If I can make my wedding dress 30 years ago I can make cushion covers!!!
Old 10-16-2002, 08:36 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
clarkston , Georgia

Ours Safari is done with complete rustoleum primer then enamel undercoat! Oh So Happy to be done with that dirty job. I'm putting in all new brake light/turn signal wires while under ther-- found some crimps & nicks in the existing wires so for $6 why not? Our dump valve is cracked beyond the gate on the outside and will want to get a new one while ours is so easily accessible- what did you all find that fits the airstream black tank? will also "ask Andy"
Old 10-17-2002, 01:05 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

1973 23' Safari
Brevard , North Carolina
I sure hope Inland has a Thetford valve that is the right kind. I send an email order to him about 10 days ago ordering a list of several things but haven't heard anything back yet so he must be busy there. I guess he will let me know when he can get to my stuff.

I think the wires are ok...I did look them over closely while under there. All in all it was in good shape under there.

Shouldn't we have a drain hole or two in the metal holding tank pan for leaks? I mean it just holds the tank. It seems like it should have some kind of drain hole in it.
Old 10-17-2002, 08:38 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
clarkston , Georgia
yes, I plan on adding a diagnostic hole or two so that we may be discreetly aware of problems in the system before they become catastrophic! Much as I have poked a pencil hole in a flooded drywall ceiling to direct flow away from tv and hi-fi as well relieve the accumalated weight of the water that could cause the entire cieling to collapse!!!
Wouldn't we hate to crack the frame of our RV by unknowingly toting hundreds of pounds in the rear!!!
Old 10-20-2002, 07:44 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
clarkston , Georgia

Still looking for dump valve replacement. have y'all found one? I'm also buying new angle iron to replace rusted/disinegrated angle iron. Andy said that stacking blue insulation foam would be OK. I also got a reply that indicated I would be smart to use chunks glued to the board to simulate original styrofoam for wasteflow out dump valve and heated airflow around the tank to resist freezing ( if we ever venture into cold) We are steel wooloing and zinc painting the galvanized box os that it remains in good shape!
Old 10-29-2002, 03:25 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
clarkston , Georgia
Question 1967 safari

Hard time with thetford dump valve on 1967 safari 22''
I had to saw off the bottom 2 nuts(and bolts) to remove valve and now can't seem to replace them!
The bolts back up tight against the black tank and the valve holding assembly is glued on to the tank!!!
I may have to glue and clamp this assembly back on and replace the whole tank next time it has to come off !!! Looks like someone has already "sealed" my fate for me unless any one has creative ideas. The bolts are melded into plastic nipples so I can't really saw a slot to slide old screw out and new screw in. (or I would)
what type of glue is best for this white, non abs, plastic? I'm leaning towards CPVC (orange) cement although this gets "hot" and may melt some plastic. Will come to some solution!-thanx
Old 10-30-2002, 01:45 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

1973 23' Safari
Brevard , North Carolina
price

Tod...I was shocked enuf at the price of the valve...$56, I think It was and someone told me a new tank was 422 so if I was you I'd keep working on that tank....does this inspire you?

I got it at Inland....I thought I'd told you but I'd written somone else...sorry...I'm getting my message boards and buddies mixed up.

I had some stuff that was supposed to be screwed together but was glued where the toilet flange goes into the box and we had to saw it...I hope we can glue it back. I sure don't want to buy a new box. I'd be tempted to get a flexible bag Like we had on our sailboat. I can't see why that wouldn do if you could get a way for the toilet to connet to it.
Old 07-24-2004, 06:20 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

1975 25' Tradewind
1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Lewiston , Idaho
Question curbside table question

Lexxy-mine is not the dinnete model but has the full gaucho in front with the fold down table curbside.

I have a question about your curbside table. My 67 safari had the front dinnette and I hated it. So I removed it an built two new benches that pull into beds for my young children. But now I have no table. I would like to take the original table and mount it curbside under the window and have it fold flat against the wall when not in use. It does not appear that the wall frame under the curbside window will hold the table bracket. My question is how is your table mounted to the curbside wall.

thanks
Flash
flash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2004, 08:52 PM   #19
Creampuff

2022 27' Flying Cloud
2016 25' International
Airstream - Other
Malibu , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by flash
Lexxy-mine is not the dinnete model but has the full gaucho in front with the fold down table curbside.

I have a question about your curbside table. My 67 safari had the front dinnette and I hated it. So I removed it an built two new benches that pull into beds for my young children. But now I have no table. I would like to take the original table and mount it curbside under the window and have it fold flat against the wall when not in use. It does not appear that the wall frame under the curbside window will hold the table bracket. My question is how is your table mounted to the curbside wall.

thanks
Flash
Flash: Lexxy may not be on anymore as she sold the A/S. I owned a 'double' until last week and am now working on a '67 twin with dinette. The curbside mount is a little different in that the 'hinge' actually is a sliding piece that allows you to tuck it into a 'pocket' beside the gaucho.There is a magnetic catch to hold it to the wall once there. The fixed piece on the wall may be supported with extra framing inside the wall. I can try to get some pics from the new owner if you wish. The leg is also different as it needs to be a fold-up rather than the fixed one on the dinette.
AIR #189

Old 09-14-2006, 12:18 PM   #20

1967 22' Safari
Huntsville , Texas
Can anyone tell me where the VIN# located on a '67 Safari?
marthaw is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags