RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 05-13-2018, 12:42 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1963 22' Safari
mcallen , Texas
1966 safari serial number location

I had already posted another thread on this topic but i wanted to ask something else. This trailer does not have the plate next to the entrance door so i can't get the serial number from there. I understand that you can also locate it on the A Frame. But i have scraped it all the way down to the metal and can't find it, I did come across some stamped numbers, but don't think they are the correct numbers, does anyone know what they mean :
FD6 - 23C - K. Another question is does anyone have a picture of your serial number on the A Frame, this would give me a better idea.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4618.JPG
Views:	48
Size:	86.5 KB
ID:	310841  
garciacag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 07:57 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
Conifer , Colorado
Here is a long shot: Does your trailer have WBCCI numbers, or "ghosts" where the numbers were on the front or back end caps? WBCCI has history database and if some owner was a member, the numbers may help you with a serial number.

Secondly, maybe for licensing and registration data history, the local DOT may have a serial number associated with the trailer.

David
WBCCI #8607
VAC Region 11

See my 1966 Trade Wind Renovation Documentation:
Knowledge Base Airstream Trailers

See my 1975 Overlander Improvement Journal:

See our 1976 Sovereign Renovation Project:
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 08:01 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
The number should be on the title to compare it with the number on the frame.
My '74 Argosy has the number on a name plate and on the top of the A frame just behind the right side propane tank.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 11:37 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1963 22' Safari
mcallen , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbj216 View Post
Here is a long shot: Does your trailer have WBCCI numbers, or "ghosts" where the numbers were on the front or back end caps? WBCCI has history database and if some owner was a member, the numbers may help you with a serial number.

Secondly, maybe for licensing and registration data history, the local DOT may have a serial number associated with the trailer.

David
dbj216.. No, I can't see any ghost numbers on top. Kind of a long story but the thing is, I am looking into buying the trailer, the owner has a title with a serial number but when I took to the DMV, I was told that the title I have is no longer good. They say that it is own by someone else who got it in 2011. Here is the history of the serial number on the title:
2008 - title issued to Joe Blow, just using a name, he is selling it to me.
2009 - Mechanic lien was put on it
2010 - sold to Joe Black
2011 - sold to Joe White, and since than Joe White has been getting plates for it.

Something is wrong here because Joe Blow has always had the trailer since 2008 and has only gotten one plate for it and is now selling it to me. When he brought it in 2008 he was given the title using serial Number #12345, and now DMV says that Joe White has a title with the same serial number #12345. It doesn't make sense. Anyway that is why we have to find the serial number on the trailer to make sure that this trailer is serial number #12345.
I hope you understand what I am trying to tell you. I know Joe Blow is not selling me a stolen trailer because he is a good friend and I have know him since he bought the trailer.
Old 05-13-2018, 11:43 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1963 22' Safari
mcallen , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by TG Twinkie View Post
The number should be on the title to compare it with the number on the frame.
My '74 Argosy has the number on a name plate and on the top of the A frame just behind the right side propane tank.
TG Twinkie.... The serial number on the title, I'm told, belongs to another trailer.
Old 05-14-2018, 12:33 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
That's not good.
How do you plan to put plates on it without the numbers and owners matching?
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 02:44 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Nashville , Tennessee
You state your friend "Joe Blow" has supposedly owned this trailer since 2008 and it has remained in his ownership/possession from 2008 to today in 2018.

Therefore the REAL question is why was a "Mechanic's lien" filed (2009) on this serial number listed on the title that Joe Blow still has showing Joe Blow as the legal owner during "Joe Blows" (Your friends) ownership????

Who filed the lien?

Why was it filed?

Why did Joe Blow not act on this "Mechanics Lien" when he was contacted via Certified Mail as required by law as he states he was the legal owner of that serial number/trailer at that time?

By law Joe Blow would have been contacted by the person/company filing the "Mechanics Lien" by Certified Mail at the address listed on the title since according to your statement above Joe Blow was the legal titled owner of the trailer at the time in 2009 when the mechanics lien was filed. Either he owed money to the "Mechanic" who filed the lien OR he just ignored the Certified Letter sent to him by either not responding or rejecting acceptance of the Certified Letter because he may have thought this was BS. Either way none performance with regard to the mechanics lien filing on Joe Blow's part as the registered owner of this particular serial number trailer at that time in 2009 is not an excuse as to why he no longer has a valid title! The completed Mechanics Lien process is why there is another VALID TITLE in force with this serial number issued to the current legal owner of this serial number trailer.

The "Mechanics Lien" process has these "Checks and Balances" built in to protect the owner/debtor from another person/company FRAUDULENTLY obtaining title to an asset such as this trailer. The legal titled owner is given a process to respond the mechanics lien filing.

Joe Blow has a lot more homework to do with the DMV to determine the circumstances surrounding the filing of the Mechanics lien on this serial number and why that mechanics lien invalidated the title he currently has in his possession. You may have to get an attorney to request a title history on the serial number shown on the now "Dead" title currently in Joe Blow's possession. This would provide the history of what happened, who did it, why it was done and was it legal?

You may find the serial number on the trailer does not match the title.

Then What???

Your friend "May" unknowingly be selling you a stolen trailer at worst OR an old trailer with no paperwork at best. Let's hope it's an old trailer without paperwork as you can deal with that!

SOMEONE is not telling YOU "The Rest of the Story" based upon the information you provided above!

I would not do anything with regard to this trailer. Let Joe Blow figure it all out as it is HIS PROBLEM to deal with friend or not!

Remember "Drive Fast, Turn Heads, Break Hearts"
vintageracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 01:00 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1963 22' Safari
mcallen , Texas
Vintageracer... Thank you for your response, I have learn alot from what you are telling me. I do have the name of the place that put the lean on it.
Update: I did some investigation on my own and i did a google map search for Joe White, current owner of the title, I found his house and in his drive way he has an vintage airstream. I am thinking this is the trailer that is using the serial number #12345. I talked to Airstream to inquire on what kind of trailer belongs to serial number #12345 and they said it was for a 1966 Safari airstream, single axle. The air stream parked in Joe White's drive way is a double axle. The airstream i looking at is a single axle. So how can he have a trailer and we have one too, and he is using his because he has been getting plates for his since 2011.
Well anyway, you might think i am crazy but i went ahead and bought the trailer and i have been talking to DMV and TXDOT, they are going to investigate.
Wish me luck.
Old 05-18-2018, 01:01 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1963 22' Safari
mcallen , Texas
I don't know but i am talking to DMV and TXDOT.
Old 05-18-2018, 02:02 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

Nashville , Tennessee
Now that you are "IN" you need to find the REAL serial number that is stamped on the trailer you have purchased. Getting the DMV and State Police involved may mean they will chop holes in your trailer looking for the true and actual serial number. With any luck they will easily find the "Real" serial number and you just might be on your way. If that VIN number does not match the 2009 title YOU may the one with a BIG PROBLEM!

Given the information you have from Airstream that this serial number belongs to a 1966 Single Axle Airstream my best "guess" is that once you find the true serial number of "Your" (I assume your trailer is Single Axle) Single Axle Airstream trailer probably does match the now invalid title Joe Blow had/has in 2009 you will be on your way!

If that happens NOW the fun begins as the Texas State Police and DMV will be making a visit to the person holding the current title with the same serial number to "Inspect" this trailer, probably confiscate said trailer to verify the VIN, chop holes in said trailer until they find the "Real" serial number of that dual axle trailer.

It's going to be a bad day for the owner of that other trailer if the "Real" serial number on that trailer does not match the title and he/she finds out that someone sold him/her what "May" be a stolen trailer OR now the fraud that he/she perpetuated is out in the open! May be time for "Three Hot's and a Cot"!

Ultimately "I" think you will find that "Joe Black" OR the person/business who originally filed the "Mechanic's Lien" is the one who perpetuated the title fraud on both your friend "Joe Blow" and "Joe White" the person who now is the holder of the current title.

Keep us informed. Nosy minds want to know!

Old 05-31-2018, 08:26 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1963 22' Safari
mcallen , Texas
Vintageracer..... According to Airstream, i called them, they say that the 1966 safari doesn't have the serial number stamped anywhere, the only place was on the plaque next to the entrance door. But like i had posted, the plaque is missing on my trailer. Someone from the police fraud department called me today and will be coming tomorrow, i will surely keep you all posted. Thanks
Old 05-31-2018, 08:49 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

1963 22' Safari
mcallen , Texas
dbj216... actually it does have the ghost numbers you are talking about. So who do i contact at WBCCI? I went to their website but don't know who to contact. Could you help me out. Thanks
Old 06-01-2018, 07:50 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
Conifer , Colorado
There are some very experienced Air Forums participants that have helped others with information about their trailer's history from the WBCCI numbers.

If you can read all the digit from the "ghosts" on the aluminum, then I suggest posting maybe in this thread, or others. Many new Airstream owners like to know the history of the trailer.

When I joined WBCCI, I filled out the membership form which included the VIN of my Overlander. It should be part of the WBCCI database.

Hope this helps

David

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f286...-a-170397.html
WBCCI #8607
VAC Region 11

Old 06-04-2018, 12:54 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

1963 22' Safari
mcallen , Texas
Smile

dbj216... thanks for your info, I went ahead and posted on the link you gave me. Wish me luck
Old 06-04-2018, 01:01 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

1963 22' Safari
mcallen , Texas
Smile

UPDATE: An officer came by from the Fraud investigation department, checked out the trailer, took measurements, I gave him all I had, and he had done some research on it also. He said he was going to contact the Dallas office to have someone from there go check out the other trailer. That is what I wanted from the beginning, that way they can see that the other trailer is a double axle and Safaris were never made with a double axle. So just sit and wait to see the results. I'll let you all know the final. Thanks
Old 06-04-2018, 02:23 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

Nashville , Tennessee

Old 06-04-2018, 09:11 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
Conifer , Colorado
I'm surely not positive, but I think I have seen pictures of mid sixties Safari 22' with a double axle on these forums. In the early sixties, double axles were optional equipment on some trailers, like the Trade Wind and Overlander.

I need verification that Airstream never built a double axle Safari 22 in the mid sixties.

David
WBCCI #8607
VAC Region 11

Old 06-26-2018, 10:01 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member

1963 22' Safari
mcallen , Texas
Well, i did call Airstream and they told me that Safaris were build with only one axle. That is all i know
Old 06-26-2018, 10:24 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Can you post some pictures of the exterior of your trailer here. Many people here can almost identify your trailer based on looking at the exterior and interior.

If you also have a picture of the ghost number above the window many people here have the old issues of the directory and somebody might be able to look there and see what it was listed as.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 05:15 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

1963 22' Safari
mcallen , Texas
Well I just wanted to let everyone know Today I got to transfer the, original title, to my name. Yay! After 5 months of waiting, and I was the one who had to be calling them, I was told that I could go in and do the title transfer. After talking to an officer who came to my house to check out the trailer and supposedly they were sending someone else to check out the other trailer and waiting and waiting I finally got it. So happy ending for me, now to start working on the trailer. Will fix it up and take it on the road. Thanks everyone for you alls input on this.

Tags