RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 07-13-2011, 03:53 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member

1965 22' Safari
East Islip , New York
Okie Dokie.

Back from the trip, and ready to give a better report of what's going on here. As it turns out, Dad currently has a pair of Airstreams. One is a Sovererign that I have little to no interest in at the moment due to available space, towing capacity, and I just don't like campers that large.

The other is the Safari (formerly thought to be a Caravel) in question here. It's still a '65, and I want to say it's a "Double" if I am reading the floorplans correctly. It's got the zolatone interior and is mostly complete, but the fridge is missing, which is a recent change. I wasn't able to get under the belly to inspect it yet unfortunately, which means I'm not going to take a chance and will get over here via flatbed when the time comes.

It's definitely had some rodent issues, as well as some water ingress. I didn't notice any soft spots in the floor, but again time was short for the inspection. Topside exterior has no visible damage that I could see, other than skylight issues.

Interior is a mess though, not structurally, more as in it really needs to be cleaned significantly. The zolatone is stained badly, probably nicotene knowing how much Dad used to smoke. All the curtains and mattress pads will need to be replaced. Has some carpet laying on top of the floor, that will also need to go. Then I can start giving it a thorough evaluation of what it needs.

Pictures in the next posts.....
HHaase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 03:54 PM   #22
3 Rivet Member

1965 22' Safari
East Islip , New York
Exterior, not too bad at all.... should shine up nicely. Needs different tanks though for sure. I'm also not a fan of how the fiberglass rock guards look, so I'll be considering different options there.

Oh.... and the window isn't missing, just looks that way for some reason.

Old 07-13-2011, 03:57 PM   #23
3 Rivet Member

1965 22' Safari
East Islip , New York
Interior photos. Not looking so great at the moment, but then again Dad is now in his mid 70's and has far more stuff than he can maintain these days.

Old 07-13-2011, 04:02 PM   #24
3 Rivet Member

1965 22' Safari
East Islip , New York
So, now I have to start doing some serious planning on what I want to do with it and which direction I want to take it.

My goal, at the moment, is to try and maintain as much of the look and feel of the '60's era airstream. The layout will be changed very minimally. What I want to do though is modernize it functionally, which means more modern appliances and systems. At the same time, I'm hoping I can do this with a significant reduction in weight in some areas if it's feasible. Electrically, I'm likely going to go the solar/led route for all of the interior and exterior lighting. It will NOT be receiving a television.

Full Monty? I don't know yet. I'll know more once it's in New York and I have a chance to crawl under it and get a better appraisal of the flooring and such. I am leaning that way though.

-Hans
Old 07-13-2011, 05:56 PM   #25
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Looks nice!
Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 06:28 PM   #26
3 Rivet Member

1965 22' Safari
East Islip , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splitrock View Post
Looks nice!
Personally I think it looks like a total mess, but I appreciate the vote of confidence.

Oh, by the way, I just noticed where you're from. I'm actually looking to move to somewhere near either Sioux Falls, Rapid City or Pierre if I can find anything good by way of work. Not much aviation around the area though, unfortunately.
Old 07-13-2011, 07:30 PM   #27
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
All three are river towns. All three have had big floods. Pierre has a HUGE flood right now. Pierre sits right below a couple older earthen dams. The only place I'd live in Pierre is 200' above the current flood level.

Rapid City has a cold war Air Force base, only open now to serve political careers and sustain a fragile economy. It's been on the close list. When that closes, Rapid's economy will take a big hit. Rapid City sits in a valley directly below an earthen dam that's failed before. The only place I'd live in Rapid is 200' above the Rapid Creek flood level in 1972.

Not far from Rapid City, Hill City staged a gunfight to entertain tourists using real bullets and shot three tourists. If anybody suggests going to a gun fight in Hill City, I'd respectfully decline.

The only place I'd live in Sioux Falls is 200' above the top of the Sioux River levee at 41st Street.

Sioux Falls has a meat packing plant, two huge hospitals, a conglomeration of bank credit card call centers, and a peripheral farm economy. I don't know anything about aviation business. Wages are either low or way high. Crime is pretty high in Sioux Falls. There's an armed robbery, or a murder almost every day. Assaults are so common they don't even make the news.

Sioux Falls has a northern plains weather profile. Below zero in the winter and hot and very humid in the summer. Home prices are still falling. There's about a 9 month supply on the market right now. Sales to asking price is running about 93%. Average days on the market to contract is 90 days. It's easy to buy, hard to sell.
Old 07-13-2011, 07:42 PM   #28
3 Rivet Member

1965 22' Safari
East Islip , New York
Quote:
All three are river towns. All three have had big floods. Pierre has a HUGE flood right now. Pierre sits right below a couple older earthen dams. The only place I'd live in Pierre is 200' above the current flood level.

Rapid City has a cold war Air Force base, only open now to serve political careers and sustain a fragile economy. It's been on the close list. When that closes, Rapid's economy will take a big hit. Rapid City sits in a valley directly below an earthen dam that's failed before. The only place I'd live in Rapid is 200' above the Rapid Creek flood level in 1972.

Not far from Rapid City, Hill City staged a gunfight to entertain tourists using real bullets and shot three tourists. If anybody suggests going to a gun fight in Hill City, I'd respectfully decline.

The only place I'd live in Sioux Falls is 200' above the top of the Sioux River levee at 41st Street.

Sioux Falls has a meat packing plant, two huge hospitals, a conglomeration of bank credit card call centers, and a peripheral farm economy. I don't know anything about aviation business. Wages are either low or way high. Crime is pretty high in Sioux Falls. There's an armed robbery, or a murder almost every day. Assaults are so common they don't even make the news.

Sioux Falls has a northern plains weather profile. Below zero in the winter and hot and very humid in the summer. Home prices are still falling. There's about a 9 month supply on the market right now. Sales to asking price is running about 93%. Average days on the market to contract is 90 days. It's easy to buy, hard to sell.
I knew I should have put in for that spot in Aberdeen while it was still open! Dad lives up in Webster, halfway between Aberdeen and Watertwn, so I'm already quite familiar with the winters. Been spending time out there since I was a baby, and eventually I'll have to get closer to manage the 600 acres he has up there, which will eventually go to me.

Big flooding issue up by him too, but more due to the lack of rivers instead of too many rivers. Water up there has been getting deeper for 15 years.

-Hans
Old 07-13-2011, 08:12 PM   #29
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
I know Webster well. Nice little lake right on the edge of town. The northern glacial lakes have been growing now for a few years. Many of them are big ponds with no outlets. Aberdeen's had some severe summer weather this year and they've had regional flooding, but not like the Missouri river towns. The Missouri river's flooded from North Dakota to Missouri.

The weather's better in Rapid City than Sioux Falls or Aberdeen. Winters are milder and summers aren't quite as humid. It's more like mountain weather. Sort of like Denver's weather with the mountain effects. When Rapid City people go to town, they go to Denver.

When Aberdeen people go to town they go to Bismarck, North Dakota.
Old 07-13-2011, 08:29 PM   #30
3 Rivet Member

1965 22' Safari
East Islip , New York
Quote:
I know Webster well. Nice little lake right on the edge of town. The northern glacial lakes have been growing now for a few years. Many of them are big ponds with no outlets. Aberdeen's had some severe summer weather this year and they've had regional flooding, but not like the Missouri river towns. The Missouri river's flooded from North Dakota to Missouri.

The weather's better in Rapid City than Sioux Falls or Aberdeen. Winters are milder and summers aren't quite as humid. It's more like mountain weather. Sort of like Denver's weather with the mountain effects. When Rapid City people go to town, they go to Denver.

When Aberdeen people go to town they go to Bismarck, North Dakota.
Not so nice of a lake anymore. They've lost a good number of the houses on the south side of Blue Dog lake.... Dad's lake house is still a few feet higher than the water thank goodness, but the shed is gone (again.) They also started moving homes out of the south side of Waubay. Bitter lake has grown to the north by about 3 miles and is now entering the town proper. Even the little slough's are getting huge and swallowing farmsteads.

Actually, he got the Sovereign when he lost the previous lake house, and used it at the lake until the permits came through to raise up the land and build the new house. IIRC the water is at 1803' right now and the house is at 1810'

Which reminds me, I need to get hold of him about transporting the safari here to New York.

-Hans
Old 07-13-2011, 09:00 PM   #31
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
I haven't been up to Webster since '03 or '04. Lots has changed apparently.
Old 07-13-2011, 09:20 PM   #32
3 Rivet Member

1965 22' Safari
East Islip , New York
Quote:
I haven't been up to Webster since '03 or '04. Lots has changed apparently.
Yeah, the flooding is getting pretty bad up there. Particularly in Waubay, it's getting pinched on three sides by Rush, Blue Dog and Bitter lakes which are all growing steadily and have no outlet other than evaporation. Some areas are inaccessible due to flooded out roads.

FEMA was just there last week and said the only thing they are going to do is measure the water depths. Lots of debating what to do, very little action, and people are getting pretty angry. But as somebody I know up there was telling me, the Feds are broke, the State is broke, the County is broke and the towns are broke. Not much anybody can do except pray that this winter is milder than the last few.

-Hans
Old 07-13-2011, 11:16 PM   #33
2 Rivet Member

1971 27' Overlander
Springfield , Missouri
You've got yourself a great trailer. It won't be hard to do, just time and money. You'll have that trailer lookin' real nice. Can't wait till you update us with the restored pics!
Ag'71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 02:36 AM   #34
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Hueytown , Alabama
SPLITROCK.... So if you live 200' above flood level in Pierre, Rapid City, or Sioux Falls, you should be safe from floods........and out of the line of fire!!!???

HHAASE.....Nice camper!!!!! But come on... no tv?

"Son, you can do anything you want, as long as you can read".. J.P. Rambin
Hueytownalss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 09:24 AM   #35
3 Rivet Member

1965 22' Safari
East Islip , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hueytownalss View Post
HHAASE.....Nice camper!!!!! But come on... no tv?
I may reconsider in the future, it all depends on how old my daughter is when I get to that point. But when I go out camping, even in a travel trailer, I like getting away from the modern world as much as I can. A good radio is all I need.

-Hans
Old 07-14-2011, 11:34 AM   #36
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hueytownalss View Post
SPLITROCK.... So if you live 200' above flood level in Pierre, Rapid City, or Sioux Falls, you should be safe from floods........and out of the line of fire!!!????
My home is 200' above the Sioux River. My other properties are higher. My home is in a wooded area on two sides. There's no forest fire danger here but of course there's the careless neighbor threat. That's that threat downtown too.

In urban South Dakota, flooding is a much bigger threat than fire. All these prarie towns were built on rivers, or like Watertown, on a lake.

People like to be close to water, so they build in areas where there's flood danger on purpose. I don't trust any of the dams or levees in South Dakota.
Old 07-19-2011, 03:42 PM   #37
2 Rivet Member

1965 22' Safari
Shelter Island , New York
HHaase, hello!

My 65 Safari lives in Shelter Island so we are practically neighbors. Have you considered flying out and renting a u-haul as a tow vehicle? That's exactly what I did to get my Safari down from Kingston, NY to Shelter Island. Your trip will be longer, but U-haul might be a good option.

-Dag
Old 07-20-2011, 07:58 AM   #38
3 Rivet Member

1965 22' Safari
East Islip , New York
I did think about renting something to haul it back with, but in this case it's just too far. Cost is going to really add up over 1500 miles after factoring in fuel, airfare, rental fee's, tolls, food, etc...

Probably going to go with uship and see how much it's going to run. First though I need to figure out when/if I may be moving out that way. No sense in hauling it all the way to New York only to turn around and haul it all the way back.

-Hans
Old 07-21-2011, 11:37 PM   #39
1 Rivet Member

1965 17' Caravel
San Francisco , California
I just caught up on this tread. After looking at the picture I doesn't look too bad once it is cleaned up it'll make a big difference. It would be great if you could get the zolatone cleaned up. It's the same layout as the caravel, which is actually very functional.

Good luck with it all
V6, Tow Group, Comfort and Convenience Group
o)))))))o
iwbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 07:04 PM   #40
3 Rivet Member

1965 22' Safari
East Islip , New York
Man, for a guy who keeps thinking his career isn't going anywhere, I sure change plans a lot.

The Wife and I are pushing pretty hard at the moment to get the heck out of NY, and South Dakota is where we are aiming toward. Makes little sense at the moment to spend the $1,500 or so to get it shipped out to NY, start tearing it up, and then get stuck with a half-done restoration that I have to ship basically back where it came from.

So it stays in limbo for now, until we know for sure where we're going to end up. The good news is that I can spend a lot of time planning and researching.

-Hans