Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-25-2015, 07:32 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Sumiton , Alabama
Water pump 1973 land yacht

I have a question about the water pump which is the original on my land yacht. When I turn it on it runs as long as the switch is turned on. Which in my case means when I use the fresh water tanks I will need to turn it on and it stays on while using fresh water tank. Does it have a limit switch or something that turns off the pump and on only when you turn on the facet?
mingle51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 07:57 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
As I remember the 70s there should be a limit switch. Without it the pump will continue build up pressure in the system. It is possible that a PO bypassed the limit switch because it failed. The limit switch is not repairable you will need a new pump. I just bought a new one at CW for 90 something dollars.
Old 11-25-2015, 07:58 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
There is an automatic pressure switch on your original PAR belt driven pump which should turn it off when you have no water running at the faucet. However, on a 40+ year old pump and water system who knows what has happened. The switch could be bad, the intake could be leaking air so the pump will not build up pressure, the internal valves could be leaking and other things.

If it were mine, I would start with a replacement pump. They are under $100 and any parts (when they are even available) for the old PAR would cost you that much. A new strainer would also be appropriate for another $20 or so. They often crack and leak. Put it together with new hoses ($5 or so) and it will probably work fine.

If you can't do the work yourself, any RV repair place can do it for you. Pumps and water systems are universal, not Airstream specific.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 08:15 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Are you sure you don't have a leak somewhere in the FW system? The pump will not shut down if it can't build pressure. Check to make sure the low point drains are closed.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 11:18 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Lynnwood , Washington
After rebuilding it once, I replaced my Par with a Sure-Flow years ago. Par parts are very expensive and relatively hard to find. For example, the price of a seal kit costs as much as a new Sure-Flow pump.

The lesson here is price and availability. Sure-Flow is "theee" standard pump throughout the RV industry. They're available anywhere AND at a reasonable price. And IMHO, I think my Sure Flow performs just as well, if not better, as the Par that I replaced.

Along with the pump, be sure to get a filter and accumulator.

Tom
TomKirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 02:35 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Middletown , California
I replaced the belt drive pump with a sure flow about 20 years ago and have had no problems with it. I also added an accumulator and I think that is the main reason the pressure switch still works. I think an accumulator tank should be standard with any pump system. Leland
ijustlee is offline   Reply With Quote