RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 10-25-2011, 08:54 PM   #901
Think Freedom

1973 27' Overlander
Third Rock from , Sol
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trex View Post
Thanks Sal... So Far...so good with OODM. Just wondering if anyone had to pay in advance for a back ordered item from OODM....that's all. As you may already know, other dealerships require money up front on back orders...
I have made several orders with OODM and have been very happy with each and every item received. I didn't actually track payment dates and so on. I have a suspicion that you'll get a square deal with these guys. They are one of the oldest Airstream dealers in the world (I think THE oldest, but I could be wrong).
You'll be fine with OODM. Make sure to post the results here so that we can see the difference that REAL customer service makes.

Jim

Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 09:25 PM   #902
Think Freedom

1973 27' Overlander
Third Rock from , Sol
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkR View Post
That bear ate me once too . . . won't happen again.
Thanks for that articulate, wise, helpful, insightful . . . post (and for the ones that mysteriously disappeared).
Indeed. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice? There ain't going to be a second time when it comes to my money and dishonest businessmen.

Jim

Air No. 6427
Old 10-26-2011, 10:49 AM   #903
Rivet Master

1981 20' International
Shasta Lake City , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim & Susan View Post
I have made several orders with OODM and have been very happy with each and every item received. I didn't actually track payment dates and so on. I have a suspicion that you'll get a square deal with these guys. They are one of the oldest Airstream dealers in the world (I think THE oldest, but I could be wrong).
You'll be fine with OODM. Make sure to post the results here so that we can see the difference that REAL customer service makes.

Jim
Thanks so much for your interest & support Jim...

I will keep you posted... I got an email from OODM informing me my Rock Guard was being shipped by UPS, last week, with an UPS tracking number. I worry about the newbees, but if they call around & do some research before they order anything, they will be fine.

Come and see me at: https://www.airforums.com/forums/f185...-71804-60.html
Trex "Airstream Nomad"
Trex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 12:48 PM   #904
Rivet Master

1981 20' International
This morning, the UPS guy delivered by new front window Rock Guard...very fast service from OODM, thank you very much.

I still must wait another 2 weeks to get my money back from another National RV dealer! Who couldn't deliver timely service. But, life goes on....you know who you are, give me my money back!!!!

Click image for larger version

Name:	SANY0071.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	335.8 KB
ID:	143861
Looks like its time to watch the OODM video on "how to install a Rock Guard" I will post photos later today.... Hopefully!

Trex "Airstream Nomad"
Old 10-28-2011, 08:09 PM   #905
Rivet Master

1981 20' International
This afternoon, I installed my new Rock Guard, from OODM... I watched two of these "How to" video's before starting, one from OODM, and the other from youtube, produced for the "1970 Airstream DIY series"...

Watch and use the OODM video, and not the DIY, if you're planning to install your own Rock Guard. The DIY video tells you to use silicone to seal your mounting braket and screws. Also, they use more rivets, and less stainless steel screws to mount the Rock Guard.

Anyway, the task was pretty straight forward. The only problem I had was, one of the hinges was mounted on the wrong side of the Rock Guard brace. So, I had to drill out the rivet and drill another hole on the other side of the brace. And than reriveted the hing back onto the brace.

I also, glued the "M" back in place, which was hanging by one... rivet or screw? Would need to remove inside skin to see which one it is.....

Name:	SANY0074.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	253.1 KB
ID:	143881Click image for larger version

Name:	SANY0077.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	371.2 KB
ID:	143882

Name:	SANY0078.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	344.4 KB
ID:	143883Click image for larger version

Name:	SANY0081.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	178.7 KB
ID:	143884

Trex "Airstream Nomad"
Old 10-28-2011, 08:19 PM   #906
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Lance M
Rita looks great Rex! Thanks for sharing. The letters are fastened with posts cast into the letters. They are secured with self tapping nuts. Too bad you have someone holding your money hostage. Oh well, I guess you are like me.."Always Learning!"

Work is never done, so take time to play!
Lance M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 08:48 PM   #907
Rivet Master

1981 20' International
Quote:
Originally Posted by Top View Post
Rita looks great Rex! Thanks for sharing. The letters are fastened with posts cast into the letters. They are secured with self tapping nuts. Too bad you have someone holding your money hostage. Oh well, I guess you are like me.."Always Learning!"

Hey TOP... Thanks for the intel on the "Letters". I'm hoping that the glue I used today will work, and I won't have to remove the inside skin to replace one screw.

In regards to the "Hostage" issue, I think of it as a savings account... Except, that "other" RV dealership is collecting the interest, not me!

Trex "Airstream Nomad"
Old 10-30-2011, 08:17 AM   #908
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Greenville , South Carolina
Rex,

Haven't been reading too much on here lately. Though I posted last week about a 'bear bite' that I received. I think that my bite was probably much smaller than yours. Sounds like it could be the same bear. We'll have to compare notes. Not sure what is going to happen in the end but at very least, it'll be a long time until the bear gets to swallow the bite.
SilverHoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 03:54 PM   #909
Rivet Master

1981 20' International
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverHoot View Post
Rex,

Haven't been reading too much on here lately. Though I posted last week about a 'bear bite' that I received. I think that my bite was probably much smaller than yours. Sounds like it could be the same bear. We'll have to compare notes. Not sure what is going to happen in the end but at very least, it'll be a long time until the bear gets to swallow the bite.
Mr. Hoot.... nice to hear from you! Yep, I have "Issues" with another RV Dealership, who shall remain nameless. They have $500+ of my money, and won't return my money for a full 30 days. Which is legal to do, but I think its a good way to "Run Off" return business. Hopefully, I will get my money back sometime Mid-Nov. Or sooner! If they want to "Play" nice!
PM me, if you want details.....

The Dude and The Bunny as....last night.

Name:	SANY0083.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	184.1 KB
ID:	144079

Trex "Airstream Nomad"
Old 10-31-2011, 04:05 PM   #910
Rivet Master

1981 20' International
Today I'm installing new carpet...Okay, let me restate that...I'm going to learn "How to Install" carpet. Because I hired an installer guy when I purchased the carpet from Home Depot. $97 for the install....

Anyway, I'm waiting for the installer to get here, so I took some pics of my next outside project on Rita. Removing the bumper wheels off the back end of Rita. And removing the PVC pipe from the underside of the old girl.

Name:	SANY0124.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	216.2 KB
ID:	144204Click image for larger version

Name:	SANY0126.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	132.8 KB
ID:	144205

Trex "Airstream Nomad"
Old 11-02-2011, 05:34 PM   #911
Think Freedom

1973 27' Overlander
Third Rock from , Sol
Rex, just of curiosity, why are you removing the wheels? Maybe they aren't OEM and are causing problems?

Jim

Air No. 6427
Old 11-02-2011, 09:41 PM   #912
Rivet Master

1981 20' International
Quote:
Rex, just of curiosity, why are you removing the wheels? Maybe they aren't OEM and are causing problems?

Jim
Hey Jim...nice to hear from you.

I'm removing the wheels because they can cause damage to the rear end... based on feedback I have received from a comercial vender. And I don't like the way they look. I haven't had them "hit" since I installed the new axles, and gained 4" in in the rear. So, as soon as I finish the Bedroom remodel, and it stops raining, (calling for rain tomorrow), I will be removing them...

So, do you think I should keep them? More feedback is a good thing, before I "take action." Do you have wheels on the rear of your Airstream?

Name:	SANY0130.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	197.4 KB
ID:	144454

Trex "Airstream Nomad"
Old 11-03-2011, 04:34 PM   #913
Think Freedom

1973 27' Overlander
Third Rock from , Sol
Quote:
Hey Jim...nice to hear from you.

I'm removing the wheels because they can cause damage to the rear end... based on feedback I have received from a comercial vender. And I don't like the way they look......
Seems like two good reasons to me. I don't have them on mine. My 'Stream used to drag the tail end when pulling out of the driveway until I replaced my axles. I'm certainly not an engineer, but my only question would be is it better to drag on the wheels or the frame. Seems like you probably answered the question when you replaced the axles. You have a lot more room under there now, so there will be less chance to "bottom out" now. Probably a good plan.

Jim

Air No. 6427
Old 11-03-2011, 06:55 PM   #914
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB International
Los Angeles , California
Quote:
..... My 'Stream used to drag the tail end when pulling out of the driveway until I replaced my axles. I'm certainly not an engineer, but my only question would be is it better to drag on the wheels or the frame. Seems like you probably answered the question when you replaced the axles. You have a lot more room under there now, so there will be less chance to "bottom out" now. Probably a good plan.

Jim
When I first got my Airstream I posted a question about adding wheels because all of the SOB rentals we got had them. The overwhelming response to my post was "NO DON'T ADD WHEELS!". I don't know about your AS, but mine has skids installed as OEM hardware to protect the rear end of the trailer. I was told that replacing them was a lot cheaper than dealing with damage done by the wheels (e.g., crinkled corner panels, rear end separation, etc.). IMHO get rid of the wheels.
WBCCI #1215
Air #54601

Remember... No matter where you go, there you are...

2009 27FB International Ocean Breeze
2010 Toyota Tundra CrewMax, 5.7L V8, 4x4
Scott J-24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 07:36 PM   #915
Site Team

1963 26' Overlander
Hollis , New Hampshire
Lots of progress on Rita! New rock guard looks SWEET!

I would think that the wheels will just lower the ground clearance ... and anything that makes you closer to the ground can't be a good thing.

If the adhesive on the "M" doesn't work there is some great 3m adhesive tape that others have used to attach emblems.

The sight of your feet in sandals makes me soooo green with envy We just made it thru our first snowstorm of the season. It was a doozy that knocked our power out for six days
reinergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 08:05 PM   #916
3 Rivet Member

1971 25' Caravanner
Olathe , Kansas
My vote: lose the wheels! The rockguard looks GREAT!
Old 11-03-2011, 09:05 PM   #917
Rivet Master

1981 20' International
Quote:
Originally Posted by reinergirl View Post
Lots of progress on Rita! New rock guard looks SWEET!

I would think that the wheels will just lower the ground clearance ... and anything that makes you closer to the ground can't be a good thing.

If the adhesive on the "M" doesn't work there is some great 3m adhesive tape that others have used to attach emblems.

The sight of your feet in sandals makes me soooo green with envy We just made it thru our first snowstorm of the season. It was a doozy that knocked our power out for six days
Hey Ms reiner... sorry to hear that you loss power for 6 days. Flooding, and now early snows! Tough weather year, for you folks in the north east.

Today we got approx. .10 inch of rain, our coldest day, so far this fall... 55 degrees with lows in the mid 30's tonight. I was bummed out because I had to wear socks today!

I plan to remove the wheels once the weather clears...

Name:	SANY0127.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	215.1 KB
ID:	144501

Trex "Airstream Nomad"
Old 11-03-2011, 09:18 PM   #918
Site Team

1963 26' Overlander
Hollis , New Hampshire
Quote:

Today we got approx. .10 inch of rain, our coldest day, so far this fall... 55 degrees with lows in the mid 30's tonight. I was bummed out because I had to wear socks today!

Mr Trex,
LOL - You know they make special socks for sandals ya know! Thanks for making me laugh
reinergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 10:22 PM   #919
Rivet Master

1981 20' International
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Well View Post
My vote: lose the wheels! The rockguard looks GREAT!
Mr. Max... I really love the new Rockguard, it really ties the whole trailer together...man, and it cost $40 less at Out of Doors Mart, (Sale price & shipping), compared to the "Other" national Airstream dealership. 11 more days before the "Others" return my money,... because I canceled my order with them 19 days ago. GIVE ME MY MONEY BACK NOW!!!!

Name:	SANY0079.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	179.0 KB
ID:	144507

Trex "Airstream Nomad"
Old 11-04-2011, 12:06 AM   #920
4 Rivet Member

1958 22' Flying Cloud
Folsom , California