Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Sovereign > 1970 - 1973 Sovereign
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-06-2011, 12:13 PM   #381
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Greenville , South Carolina
First time I have had a reply disappear. I replied to yesterday or day before lamenting the fact that we never even got around to tipping a few before you got the bad health news. I also think you've had your fair share of bad stuff for awhile. That was an amazingly high price on your truck repair is a 2nd opinion possible? Your truck is a diesel right? Don't know much about them... or I'd offer to help. The good news is that it hasn't rained as predicted! Take care dude....and let me know if you need anything.
SilverHoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 06:22 PM   #382
Rivet Master

1981 20' International
Shasta Lake City , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverHoot View Post
First time I have had a reply disappear. I replied to yesterday or day before lamenting the fact that we never even got around to tipping a few before you got the bad health news. I also think you've had your fair share of bad stuff for awhile. That was an amazingly high price on your truck repair is a 2nd opinion possible? Your truck is a diesel right? Don't know much about them... or I'd offer to help. The good news is that it hasn't rained as predicted! Take care dude....and let me know if you need anything.

Thanks for the call Mike... I called that guy who has the 70/24' in Shingletown. He said that his phone has been ringing off the hook and three guys want to drive up and look at his AS. I thanked him for his time and went back to fixing my water system around my place.

I think we want something a little older than a 70 anyway...it does look pretty good in the photos though. He did say that there was a good little dent in the front right corner, but a rock guard would cover it.

I did some checking on the cost of fixing my truck... sounds like Perry's is "in-line" with other shops for repairing and replacing both fuel pumps. I called an old High School friend, who is a mechanic, he also said that Perry's quote is "In-Line" based on what needs to be fixed.

I'm not going to die if I drink two light beers, or 3 "64" beers. So we could still do that....maybe when my axles are show-up.

Thanks again Mike....

Come and see me at: https://www.airforums.com/forums/f185...-71804-60.html
Trex "Airstream Nomad"
Trex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 09:15 PM   #383
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Rex, I think '70 was the last year for Real Wood interiors.
Old 04-06-2011, 10:22 PM   #384
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
Hey Rex, just catching up here... looks like you'll be on the good side soon... just think, you're not having my year. Lost both my folks to crazy things in the past two months... and had my bi(cycle) stolen from work.

My friends from work chipped in to buy me a new bike.. figured I needed something to cheer me up. I was shocked and humbled! I'm sending you virtual Karma your way.
Take care!
Marc
3Ms75Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 01:44 PM   #385
Rivet Master

1981 20' International
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aage View Post
Rex, I think '70 was the last year for Real Wood interiors.

I think the DIY AS on Youtube is a 71? And it has real wood... I really wanted to go and look, but the guy who listed, seemed to be mad that he was getting so many calls, just because he listed it on craigslist? And there was three guys driving that way ASAP. Plus all my emergency costs this month...it just didn't seem that the time was right to buy another AS.

But I really wanted to take a look at a that 70/24' Tradewind. Because Mr Silverhoot, (Mike), has a 67 tradewind in Redding, and I really like the look and size of his AS.

What do you think of the smaller 70 models, Mr. Aage?

Trex "Airstream Nomad"
Old 04-07-2011, 02:04 PM   #386
Rivet Master

1981 20' International
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Ms75Argosy View Post
Hey Rex, just catching up here... looks like you'll be on the good side soon... just think, you're not having my year. Lost both my folks to crazy things in the past two months... and had my bi(cycle) stolen from work.

My friends from work chipped in to buy me a new bike.. figured I needed something to cheer me up. I was shocked and humbled! I'm sending you virtual Karma your way.
Take care!
Marc
Marc, Thanks for the Kama....I need some right now.

Sorry to hear that you're having bad luck also....nice of your friends to kick down the money and buy you a new bike. Sounds like you have some great friends.

I have three bike's right now...my harley, cargo, and one speed huffy. Love all three, but thinking about selling the Harley. And buying a electric motor for my cargo bike... the Yuba cargo bike has a 400 lb capacity for cargo, and comes with saddle bags. You could tow a small AS with this bike...just like that old photo Wally had in his ads. It would be hard to stop though...Brakes are not all that great.

PS, sorry to hear about your folks....

Name:   yuba.jpg
Views: 243
Size:  4.5 KB

Trex "Airstream Nomad"
Old 04-07-2011, 02:05 PM   #387
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Lance M
Rex,
Sorry for your run of bad luck. I'm sending some good karma your way as well. IIRC the 1970 model year was the last year with real wood interior. I have seen 1970 Sovereigns that has plastic laminate cabinetry. So maybe it was a mid year switch to plastic laminate. The DIY project trailer was a 1970 Overlander. 1970 is the year I was born, and that is a year of trailer I'd like to have in my livery. I do like the Tradewind floor plan and layout. Not too small. Not too big. Just right. Like the Goldilocks of Airstreams. Especially for just two travelers. You can go many places with a TW that you wouldn't go with a Sovereign. Take care

Work is never done, so take time to play!
Lance M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 02:07 PM   #388
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Crabtree View Post
It would be hard to stop though...Brakes are not all that great.
Just make sure you have 12" brakes

Old 04-07-2011, 02:10 PM   #389
Rivet Master

1981 20' International
TOP do you ever work? Just kidding

Trex "Airstream Nomad"
Old 04-07-2011, 02:15 PM   #390
Rivet Master

1981 20' International
Quote:
Originally Posted by Top View Post
Rex,
Sorry for your run of bad luck. I'm sending some good karma your way as well. IIRC the 1970 model year was the last year with real wood interior. I have seen 1970 Sovereigns that has plastic laminate cabinetry. So maybe it was a mid year switch to plastic laminate. The DIY project trailer was a 1970 Overlander. 1970 is the year I was born, and that is a year of trailer I'd like to have in my livery. I do like the Tradewind floor plan and layout. Not too small. Not too big. Just right. Like the Goldilocks of Airstreams. Especially for just two travelers. You can go many places with a TW that you wouldn't go with a Sovereign. Take care
Mr. TOP (Trainer of Personnel), I stand corrected, I may have missed a good one to bid on. Shingletown is approx. a 30 mile drive from my house, and if I didn't have all the other costs this month, I think that I would have gone up there to take a look.

Trex "Airstream Nomad"
Old 04-07-2011, 03:01 PM   #391
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Yes I do work. I went to "work" today for about an hour.

Old 04-07-2011, 04:27 PM   #392
Rivet Master

1981 20' International
Quote:
Originally Posted by Top View Post
Yes I do work. I went to "work" today for about an hour.

Time off is a good thing.... between assignments. So, enjoy your time. I would take 6 weeks off, in-a-row, each year, after a busy fire season. Now, I take 12 months off per year. Looks like the gov. may hold your check, if they don't get busy and pass a spending bill.

Trex "Airstream Nomad"
Old 04-07-2011, 05:11 PM   #393
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
I think the DIY AS on Youtube is a 71? And it has real wood...
I loved that series. Of course, it is edited, and things they do in one what 20 minute episode? would take us mere mortals weeks or months. And yet is wonderful to see them bring in one actual expert for each segment.

Quote:
But I really wanted to take a look at a that 70/24' Tradewind. Because Mr Silverhoot, (Mike), has a 67 tradewind in Redding, and I really like the look and size of his AS.

What do you think of the smaller 70 models, Mr. Aage?
I like them, Rex, I like them a lot. I wouldn't have one if it had to be my only one, since I like the extra space the 30 and plus models have, but if like you, I was into the the collecting side, I'd probably like a nice Tradewind, just because I like the name

But we live in the city, so keeping even one at home is out of the question, so we found a nice camp on a beautiful and quiet little lake, where DW can fish from her pontoon boat while entertaining family or other campers.
Old 04-08-2011, 10:06 AM   #394
Rivet Master

1981 20' International
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverHoot View Post
That was an amazingly high price on your truck repair is a 2nd opinion possible?
Today I am picking up my Dodge diesel from Perry's Auto.... the cost out the door is $2,937! Yesterday when I called them and got the final bill, I decided to make more phone calls. I called another friend of mine who owns a used car lot in south Redding.

Case asked me if I called any of the Fuel Injection shops in town. I said no, and called both shops in Redding. I got a quote from one of the shops... $400 less than Perry's, (parts & labor).

Lessons learned is, if you tow with a dodge diesel, you need to know that the fuel injectors fail once you have over 130,000 miles on them, (or less). Find a shop in your area that re-build fuel injectors and also does truck repairs. Have that information with you before hand. So when your broken down along the roadside, you kown where to have your truck towed. You will save$$$$$! Or replace your in-tank fuel pump at 100,000 miles,(or less), before it goes out, and knocks out your injector pump. You will save even more $$$$$$$$$!

I feel like a fool for paying that much, but hopefully other folks out there with the same tow vehicle can save money when there fuel system fails. PS. the dodge dealership in Redding wanted $2,100 for a new fuel injector pump. The Dude got hosed on this deal.

Mr. Hoot... your gut feeling was correct, there was a 2nd opinion out there.

Trex "Airstream Nomad"
Old 04-08-2011, 10:14 AM   #395
x

XXXX , XXXX
Hey Rex $3k would have been a good down payment on a real truck like a Ford F450 crew cab diesel dually. Can you tell I'm slightly biased.
BTW do you know what MOPAR stands for?
(M) move (O) over (P) people (A) are (R) racing.
or DODGE
(D) dads (O) old (D) dodge (G) goes (E) everywhere.
wasagachris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 11:19 AM   #396
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
Yikes! Really, that just seems like robbery! I'm sure dropping the tank to replace the fuel pump isn't a bunch of fun though... especially if it was full.....

Bikes... a LONG time ago, I had a couple of motorcycles... but then came the wife, and first chilld... and my wife's suggestion that I get a boat instead. Who was I to complain!

Now all my bikes are pedaled.... I've got a couple too... my new Cannondale Hooligan (it's a small wheeled FUN bike! Easy to throw in the car and go!), a road bike, mtb, tandem for the kids, a singlespeed, and.. an old '50's Raleigh three speed I need to do something with.

I DO like my bikes! I like those Yuba's too! I know there's an electric assist motor for Surley and Xtra cycle kits (I think it's the "stroke monkey" sold by Clever Cycles in Portland)... but there's other hub gear motors that probably would be a lot cheaper.

I think Gary Fisher bikes has a new cargo bike that has an electric option as well...

I also have a '63 TW that I need to get off my butt and start working on... it's just too far away in storage. The few times that I have available to me its too far to travel and work for just 30min at a time... need more time!

As an aside, daily exercise really does work well to help lower your BS (oops, blood sugar), and helps keep the doctors away. (I'm a nurse!)
Take care!
Marc
3Ms75Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 12:51 PM   #397
Rivet Master

1981 20' International
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Ms75Argosy View Post
Yikes! Really, that just seems like robbery! I'm sure dropping the tank to replace the fuel pump isn't a bunch of fun though... especially if it was full.....

Bikes... a LONG time ago, I had a couple of motorcycles... but then came the wife, and first chilld... and my wife's suggestion that I get a boat instead. Who was I to complain!

Now all my bikes are pedaled.... I've got a couple too... my new Cannondale Hooligan (it's a small wheeled FUN bike! Easy to throw in the car and go!), a road bike, mtb, tandem for the kids, a singlespeed, and.. an old '50's Raleigh three speed I need to do something with.

I DO like my bikes! I like those Yuba's too! I know there's an electric assist motor for Surley and Xtra cycle kits (I think it's the "stroke monkey" sold by Clever Cycles in Portland)... but there's other hub gear motors that probably would be a lot cheaper.

I think Gary Fisher bikes has a new cargo bike that has an electric option as well...

I also have a '63 TW that I need to get off my butt and start working on... it's just too far away in storage. The few times that I have available to me its too far to travel and work for just 30min at a time... need more time!

As an aside, daily exercise really does work well to help lower your BS (oops, blood sugar), and helps keep the doctors away. (I'm a nurse!)
Take care!
Marc
Mr. M.... Thanks for your words of encouragement. I still haven't made my mind-up on the Harley, it has special meaning to me because it's the Firefighter bike "Special edition"... So, if I do sell it, I would like to see another firefighter buy it.

I have been walking 2 1/2 miles everyday with the Dogs. Today I got a nice ride in, on my one-speed, to pick-up my Diesel from Perry's, (4 miles).

In just one week, my Blood Sugar has gone from the low 200's to 123 this morining. And I feel much better. Learning to count Carbs each meal and stay under 60 carbs per meal, (45 for small people). Carb counting seems to work very well.

The Bunny and I love to pack a lunch and spend the day on the river trail along the Sacramento river on our one-speeds. City of Redding and BLM have connected their trail systems, so now one can ride up river to the base of Shasta Dam or go down river and up the hill to the Mt. Shasta Mall, (right off the freeway). If you ever pass thru Redding you must stop and ride the trail system along the river.

http://bikeredding.com/home-page/sacramento-river-trail-map/

I haven't worked on my 72/31' for last 7 days... but, I plan to get going on the next task this afternoon. As you may already know, "The hardest part of any job, is starting." And, in my case it's re-starting....

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00554.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	183.7 KB
ID:	126419  

Trex "Airstream Nomad"
Old 04-08-2011, 06:52 PM   #398
Rivet Master

1981 20' International
Today in the PM, I cleaned up and re-located my Airstream storage shed...otherwise known as a $34 Wal-Mart tent, 8'x16' in size. I still have all the original overhead cabinets, oven, and fridge. Plus lots of alum. trim, and some of the orginal photo wood panels. Not much fun, lots of work, but needed to be done.

I moved it behind the pool fence on the westside of the yard in my "Boneyard". Photos are of new location.....

Name:	DSC01192.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	258.9 KB
ID:	126460Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01193.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	267.6 KB
ID:	126461

Name:	DSC01194.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	368.0 KB
ID:	126462Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01191.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	463.1 KB
ID:	126463

Trex "Airstream Nomad"
Old 04-10-2011, 06:16 PM   #399
Rivet Master

1981 20' International
Today was another day of spring cleaning.... start on the cabinets tomorrow.

Trex "Airstream Nomad"
Old 04-11-2011, 08:55 PM   #400
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Cabinets? What about the cabinets?

Tags
1972 sovereign, 31', floor, patch, leaks, vista view windows