RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 11-23-2010, 11:55 PM   #21
Rivet Master
 
Trex's Avatar

 
1981 20' International
Shasta Lake City , California
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,113
Blog Entries: 7
RE: Vista Window removal

Quote:
Originally Posted by driftless View Post
Rex, thanks for putting all these threads together. I have a '73 Excella that I'm just starting on so I'm sure I'll refer back here often.

When you removed the acrylic and metal insert from your vista views, did you fill the void between the frame and the glass with anything? Did the removal seem to have any affect on the seal of the glass? I have to do all of my windows, not just the vista views.

As wasagachris says, the fun begins....
I didn't fill the void, and there is no need to fill in that area. Each pane was mounted in the sash separated by a alum. center ridge. Its in a "W" shaped design so each pane is mounted separately in the valley of the
"W"... Do you know what I am saying?

I didn't remove any sections of the metal sash/framework. I only removed the plastic window pane and the rubber gasket. Your 73 may have different windows, I've looked at other threads concerning windows and it seems like Airstream used many different styles and/or makes of window sashes. Some years, both sections on a double pane window were "corning glass" with a "U" shaped sash, with only window putty between the two panes of glass. Like my wing windows....My front middle window had single Corning glass pane on the outside and a plastic inter pane that I removed by un-screwing 6 or 8 screws.

I would suggest that you go and look at your windows and see if they are mounted in a single "U" shaped sash or a "W" shaped sash. I would be willing to bet that if your inter-window pane is plastic, then you have a "W" shaped sash. If that is true, then you can perform the same operation on your vista window as I did....

I would also suggest that you buy the service mannual off of ebay, like I did last nite. Trex "May Wally be with you"


Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0558.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	332.3 KB
ID:	115882
PS, Can you see how the plastic pane is mounted in its own separate channel in the "W" shaped sash. And that I am pulling out the rubber gasket which holds, and seals the plastic pane in place.
Trex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 07:42 AM   #22
4 Rivet Member
 
1973 31' Excella 500
Spring Green , Wisconsin
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 265
Thanks Rex. I see what you mean by the "W" sash. I'll have to double check to see if my windows are like yours.

One of the first things I did was buy the service manual from the guy (vox231) on ebay. He really does a nice job and is very responsive and fast.
__________________
Lew TAC #WI-6
Nobody can help everybody, but everybody can help somebody.
driftless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 12:25 PM   #23
Rivet Master
 
Trex's Avatar

 
1981 20' International
Shasta Lake City , California
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,113
Blog Entries: 7
RE: Vista Window removal

Quote:
Originally Posted by driftless View Post
Thanks Rex. I see what you mean by the "W" sash. I'll have to double check to see if my windows are like yours.

One of the first things I did was buy the service manual from the guy (vox231) on ebay. He really does a nice job and is very responsive and fast.
Hey Driftless...what did you discover? Do you have any photo's of your windows? If you operate on your vista window, make sure you send photos! Do you have any problems with your wing windows? My wing windows have water stains between the panes!

I had to buy a electric heater yesterday, so I can continue painting primer (directions say apply between 50 and 90 degrees). Last nite was the coldest nite of the year in northern Calif. 27 degrees, killed my peppers and the rest of my garden.

Good Luck MR Drift, Trex "May Wally be with you".
Trex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 12:47 PM   #24
Rivet Master
 
Trex's Avatar

 
1981 20' International
Shasta Lake City , California
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,113
Blog Entries: 7
Shack down trip?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwells4654 View Post
At times I feel the same way about my refurb. but when I look back to last fall and then to this fall I look at how much better the inside looks I think to myself. "It has been worth it, can't wait until next year for the shack down trip to South Texas.

Good luck and it does look better.

What is a shack down trip?
Trex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 12:44 PM   #25
Rivet Master
 
Trex's Avatar

 
1981 20' International
Shasta Lake City , California
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,113
Blog Entries: 7
Mat the cabinet maker

Last nite Mat, son of Wino-Wayne, came by my place to take measurements for the new cabinets for our Airstream. Mat works for a local cabinet shop here is the greater Redding area. The Bunny wants a 2009 Airstream cabinet look, I want more of a 1960’s Airstream look, but we both like the light real Mable wood color for cabinets.

So, the street side will have a 10’ count-top with a sink and stove top-oven positioned below each window on that side. Curb-side will have a new replacement Refrigerator, pantry, and diner seating, with table. Diner will fold-out into a 4’ wide bed.


Photo below shows color and wood type we want for our 72, (Photo taken from AS internet site of a 2009 AS/toy hauler)

Click image for larger version

Name:	airstreamgarageunit1.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	39.1 KB
ID:	115926
Trex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 04:19 PM   #26
4 Rivet Member
 
1973 31' Excella 500
Spring Green , Wisconsin
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Crabtree View Post
Hey Driftless...what did you discover? Do you have any photo's of your windows? If you operate on your vista window, make sure you send photos! Do you have any problems with your wing windows? My wing windows have water stains between the panes!

I had to buy a electric heater yesterday, so I can continue painting primer (directions say apply between 50 and 90 degrees). Last nite was the coldest nite of the year in northern Calif. 27 degrees, killed my peppers and the rest of my garden.

Good Luck MR Drift, Trex "May Wally be with you".
Hey, Rex. I finally got a little time while it was still light to take some pictures. Below are three shots of my windows. The first shows the crud that is present between the glass and acrylic on just about all of my windows. Little black specs. It also shows why I have few leaks as a PO applied a liberal coating of silicone.

The second picture is of one of my vista view windows with the acrylic removed by the PO. As you can see there is not a "W" channel.

The third pic shows the removed acrylic and aluminum snap in strip that I found under a rear bed. I figure if the PO got one out, I can figure out the removal.

The picture that shows the vista view without the acrylic also shows the reason for my question about filling the void. When the acrylic and aluminum rim are removed, there is a void between the outer glass and the window frame. It appears that there wasn't anything other than some form of sealant between the acrylic and outer glass.

I am also missing all of the plastic trim around the vista view openings and most of the handles on the vista view shades. I'm thinking that's going to be the easy part.

I'm hoping someone has some suggestions...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	window crud.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	181.5 KB
ID:	115955   Click image for larger version

Name:	vista veiw plastic.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	110.6 KB
ID:	115956  

Click image for larger version

Name:	vista view no frame.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	132.9 KB
ID:	115957  
__________________
Lew TAC #WI-6
Nobody can help everybody, but everybody can help somebody.
driftless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 05:12 PM   #27
Rivet Master
 
Trex's Avatar

 
1981 20' International
Shasta Lake City , California
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,113
Blog Entries: 7
Window fix

Quote:
Originally Posted by driftless View Post
Hey, Rex. I finally got a little time while it was still light to take some pictures. Below are three shots of my windows. The first shows the crud that is present between the glass and acrylic on just about all of my windows. Little black specs. It also shows why I have few leaks as a PO applied a liberal coating of silicone.

The second picture is of one of my vista view windows with the acrylic removed by the PO. As you can see there is not a "W" channel.

The third pic shows the removed acrylic and aluminum snap in strip that I found under a rear bed. I figure if the PO got one out, I can figure out the removal.

The picture that shows the vista view without the acrylic also shows the reason for my question about filling the void. When the acrylic and aluminum rim are removed, there is a void between the outer glass and the window frame. It appears that there wasn't anything other than some form of sealant between the acrylic and outer glass.

I am also missing all of the plastic trim around the vista view openings and most of the handles on the vista view shades. I'm thinking that's going to be the easy part.

I'm hoping someone has some suggestions...
Hey Driftless, Happy Holidays... I know there is a thread out there on this forum, concerning this issue.

I can't find it, but I think he purchased some plastic striping that was just the right width to place in the back side of the "U" shaped channel to give the corning glass the support it needs to prevent leakage or blow out. I would think that the striping should be hard enough not to compress under presure, but soft enough to bend into the corners of the window sash channel.

Hopefully you can find that thread I am talking about, or someone see's our comments and has a solution.

Trex "May Wally be with you in your search for the "right fix".

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0626.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	342.0 KB
ID:	115960

Speedy checking out the tree, thinking that he can pee on it when I am out side put'en up the xmas lights...
Trex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 05:55 PM   #28
4 Rivet Member
 
1973 31' Excella 500
Spring Green , Wisconsin
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 265
And Happy Holidays to you as well, Rex. I've seen that thread and need to revisit it. I'm sure I know the one you mean and after closely looking at my windows, I beleive it does apply. Thanks.
__________________
Lew TAC #WI-6
Nobody can help everybody, but everybody can help somebody.
driftless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 06:05 PM   #29
x
 
XXXX , XXXX
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,601
Lew check out this post for what I did for the vista views and the stack windows.
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f454...tml#post864410
Rex I don't mean to hijack your thread. Just wanted to let lew know because we have same trailer and windows.
wasagachris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 06:43 PM   #30
Rivet Master
 
Trex's Avatar

 
1981 20' International
Shasta Lake City , California
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,113
Blog Entries: 7
Nice job on the windows!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasagachris View Post
Lew check out this post for what I did for the vista views and the stack windows.
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f454...tml#post864410
Rex I don't mean to hijack your thread. Just wanted to let lew know because we have same trailer and windows.
Hey Wasagachris.... no problem, I knew someone had fixed the same type of windows as Mr. Drft. And that is one of thee objectives when I started this Thread. Also, Happy Thanksgiving to you my friend, or do you guys do Thanksgiving a little earlier in the year? Up there in the Great White North....if so, Happy Holidays, Trex
Trex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 07:05 PM   #31
4 Rivet Member
 
1973 31' Excella 500
Spring Green , Wisconsin
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 265
Thanks Rex and Chris. At least I now have a plan of attack for one of the items on my list....
__________________
Lew TAC #WI-6
Nobody can help everybody, but everybody can help somebody.
driftless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 07:26 PM   #32
Rivet Master
 
Trex's Avatar

 
1981 20' International
Shasta Lake City , California
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,113
Blog Entries: 7
Good luck

Quote:
Originally Posted by driftless View Post
Thanks Rex and Chris. At least I now have a plan of attack for one of the items on my list....

Make sure you post your photos of your window fix.... Trex
Trex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 12:58 PM   #33
Rivet Master
 
Trex's Avatar

 
1981 20' International
Shasta Lake City , California
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,113
Blog Entries: 7
This post is from my Leaks thread....11-30-2010

It has rained really hard here at the old duck farm since I sealed my last leak in the Old Girl.... O'HAPPY DAZE! No sign of water in the Old Girl!

My last coat of Smart Primer will go on the inside skin today. The Bunny and I will pick out colors tonite at Home Depot. I may keep the ele. heater on all nite after the first coat of paint. I like the Smart Primer so far. Hopefully it will do it's job and stop the sticky stuff.
Trex
Trex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 01:15 PM   #34
Rivet Master
 
Trex's Avatar

 
1981 20' International
Shasta Lake City , California
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,113
Blog Entries: 7
I met with Matt the cabinet maker three nites ago. He called last nite with a estimate of costs for building new cabinets... sicker shock! $2,600 to build, stain, and install. I think that I may build some of the sections myself and have Matt build the lower cabinets on the street side. I would like to cut the cost by 1/2. Is $2,600 to much for upper/lower cabinets on both sides? I was looking at mabel 3/4" plywood..... Trex
Trex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 01:20 PM   #35
Rivet Master
 
SilverHoot's Avatar
 
1967 24' Tradewind
Greenville , South Carolina
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,106
Blog Entries: 3
Hey Rex,

I'm thinking 3/4" will be too heavy. Many use 1/4" over framing.
SilverHoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 01:44 PM   #36
Rivet Master
 
Trex's Avatar

 
1981 20' International
Shasta Lake City , California
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,113
Blog Entries: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverHoot View Post
Hey Rex,

I'm thinking 3/4" will be too heavy. Many use 1/4" over framing.

Hey Mike, Hope you had a good turkey day... I think you'er right. I may use the old pannels and prime them and paint them to save money or use them as a template to cut out 1/4" plywood. I have some time, but I don't think that I will have the "Old Girl" back together for the super- bowl. The Bunny and I have reservations for the KOA @ Feather Falls Casino. I think she got us, three nites for the price of two that weekend.

This remodel is going much slower then I thought it would... I guess I should be following my old quote I used when I was working fulltime. "Slow down, and work smarter" Trex "May Wally be with you."

P.S. Did you get your leaks fixed in the Silverhoot?
Trex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 01:58 PM   #37
Rivet Master
 
SilverHoot's Avatar
 
1967 24' Tradewind
Greenville , South Carolina
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,106
Blog Entries: 3
Rex,

Yes, I did get them fixed! Soon as I finish lunch here I'm heading out to try and figure out how the various compartment/cargo/access doors are supposed to be weatherstripped. There is not even a trace of old weather stripping or glue left. I'm not even sure they were ever weatherstripped. Inland sold me some stripping , now trying to find wether it goes on the removable doors or on the door frames. This guy has some really good photos of cabs that he built and looks like he did an outstanding job...and some GREAT ideas.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f71/...lly-49151.html
SilverHoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 02:37 PM   #38
Rivet Master
 
Trex's Avatar

 
1981 20' International
Shasta Lake City , California
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,113
Blog Entries: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverHoot View Post
Rex,

Yes, I did get them fixed! Soon as I finish lunch here I'm heading out to try and figure out how the various compartment/cargo/access doors are supposed to be weatherstripped. There is not even a trace of old weather stripping or glue left. I'm not even sure they were ever weatherstripped. Inland sold me some stripping , now trying to find wether it goes on the removable doors or on the door frames. This guy has some really good photos of cabs that he built and looks like he did an outstanding job...and some GREAT ideas.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f71/...lly-49151.html
Have you looked on ebay to see if they have the Service Mannual for the SilverHoot? Not sure if Airstream produced a Mannual for that year or not? Trex

P.S. thanks for the Flying Cloud thread...he does have some good ideas...I like the baskets, but I don't think the Bunny will like that look.
Trex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 10:02 AM   #39
Rivet Master
 
SilverHoot's Avatar
 
1967 24' Tradewind
Greenville , South Carolina
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,106
Blog Entries: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Crabtree View Post
Have you looked on ebay to see if they have the Service Mannual for the SilverHoot? Not sure if Airstream produced a Mannual for that year or not? Trex

P.S. thanks for the Flying Cloud thread...he does have some good ideas...I like the baskets, but I don't think the Bunny will like that look.
Rex, I don't think manual were available in 1967.
SilverHoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 01:30 PM   #40
Rivet Master
 
Trex's Avatar

 
1981 20' International
Shasta Lake City , California
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,113
Blog Entries: 7
Yup, your right Mike... looks like the 1969 service mannual on ebay is the closest year. "Bummer-man", as we use to say in the 70's, "Bum-murrrr'".

The Bunny and I picked out interior paint last nite from Home Depot. We got Coco brown, sea sand, and some other light color. I am to paint the two light colors to see which one looks the best with the Coco.

The Bunny matched the colors with a sample of the curtain fabric. A print with california surf boards, woody station wagons and palm trees on it. And yes.... I know I live three hours inland from the california coast. The Bunny lived next to Richard Nixon as a Kid.... you know, where the sparrrow's go each year. So, she wanted the interior to remind her of her life as a kid on the beaches of Southern California. News at 11:00. Trex
Trex is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
1972 sovereign, 31', floor, patch, leaks, vista view windows


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Biker Girl is Back she ran off Match.com Girl Jim Clark Off Topic Forum 8 09-13-2012 04:43 PM


Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by the Airstream, Inc. or any of its affiliates. Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:08 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.