RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 10-11-2012, 05:55 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1971 31' Sovereign
Boise , Idaho
rear bath shower cabinets interior end cap. 1971

Good day,
Hours of searching have failed to find fruit, which either means this is an odd question or I need better searching techniques.

I need to access the drain line/vent that is behind the tub/shower/worthless shower cabinets/sink/interior end cap behemoth. From flashlight investigation, it appears, each section of the unit is riveted (hopefully not also glued) to the surrounding sections.

The only plan I have been able to devise, is to drill out all the rivets where the top lip of the tub attaches to the rest of the sink/cabinet/side wall structure, remove drain, sawzall (carefully) whatever seems to be holding the tub in place at the corners (the shell side corners will be tricky) and remove the tub.

Complete necessary work with tub removed and replace all aforementioned. I have a rivet gun but may use screws depending on how it seems to hold. I will also caulk all joints.

Notes: I need the shower/tub operational before the end of the weekend.
The tub will most likely not need to be re secured to the tub pedestal as it will be replaced by a shower pan in the future, before the trailer is moved.

Final thought, in the biting off more than I can chew category, I consider drawing a line around the top inside of the interior shell around the tub and cutting out the entire side shower cabinet monstrosity, replace with FRP panel curving them to meet the tub and overlap the top interior shell, thus creating a few more inches of precious elbow room. (I have the extender shower curtain rod, but it has been over a year of cramped showers)

Thoughts?
Old 10-11-2012, 11:59 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1971 31' Sovereign
Boise , Idaho
dark shooting

Maybe the original launch of this thread was too expansive. A quick question: When removing the tub from a rear bath 71 Sovereign, aside from the drain connection and the rivets holding the tub to the shower cabinet/wraparound sink thing, what holds the tub to the wood pedestal on the floor?

Thank you

Post script: Has anyone successfully removed the wood tub support pedestal and placed tub directly on the floor; replacing the tub P trap with one of the Hepvo low profile valves? (every inch of headroom counts)
Old 10-12-2012, 03:52 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2014 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
In post #1 of this thread, you can see the arrangement of the vent line behind the tub surround. In post #21 you can see how the new FRP partition fits up against the remaining half of the tub, and if you look closely you can just barely see the new white PVC vent line protruding through the horizontal part of the surround. You're not interested in making the shower area smaller, but maybe this will give you some ideas. I wanted more counter space in the kitchen and was willing to sacrifice the shower elbow room. This winter I am going to remove the entire plastic "sink thingy" and redo the shower.

You can see in the photo that one leg of the black vent line goes into the floor to vent the black holding tank. The other leg circles back along the wall to vent the sink drain line. This sink vent is overkill (in my opinion) and the sink could easily work without a vent at all (oh, heresy), if you don't have a gray tank--there is another vent for the kitchen sink and it will prevent any flow from the kitchen or shower from sucking the water out of the bathroom sink P-trap.

You can replace the shower P-trap with a Hepvo (that's on my list, too), but you still need a couple inches of elevation between the bottom of the shower pan and the top of the gray tank (if you're installing a gray tank). Otherwise, you can remove the shower pan/tub platform and put the shower pan on the floor.

Zep
Old 10-12-2012, 04:31 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1971 31' Sovereign
Boise , Idaho
thank you

Thank you for your response Zep. I have read your threads and am thankful you documented your work.

I went ahead and removed the tub last night and made the same observation as you on still needing a little room for the Hepvo.The plumbing had to have been redone by a PO, but currently, I am short on time for a full plumbing revamp.

Thankfully the tub came out as expected without any surprises. Today I going to run the new furnace vent lines and replace the tub. Since I plan to yank that tub for good in the not to distant future, I see much caulk on the horizon.

Thanks again