Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-18-2013, 08:43 PM   #1

palm coasy , Florida
Need help ASAP: is this worth $1,500? 1972 Sovereign

im not sure it seems like a great deal for 1500$ let me know i dont want to make a bad buy
let me know what its worth about?
i don't know a thing about these
all i know is this thing is cool as hell
please need an expert
thanks john
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	65.3 KB
ID:	188604   Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	137.6 KB
ID:	188605  

Click image for larger version

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	91.2 KB
ID:	188606   Click image for larger version

Name:	sovergin.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	180.9 KB
ID:	188607  

scrapcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 09:20 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Perry , Florida
Don't even think about buying it. Definitely a bottomless money pit that is not worth anything near the asking price. Delete this thread and then PM me with the contact info for the seller as I want to get in touch with him and give him a good tongue-lashing for having the nerve to attempt to rip people off in this outrageous fashion.
Old 06-18-2013, 09:29 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Newport , North Carolina
Alot of questions any body damage fridge and ac work? does it have a title are all of the windows good (glass not broken) Are there soft spots on the floor anywhere? electric work ie; (lights fridge ac)? what year Parts value is up there scrap value is okay but if you want to use it how much will it cost to get it ready? Gas work? If it were me yes but you are not me and you may not want to do a lot of work. For someone else to do it cost. Many experts or Pros on here that can steer you in the right direction and there is an inspection checklist on the forums. I am barely a biginner and I am renovating a caravel that I will put 6k in before I am finished. More questions. Are the awening in good shape? did you look under it and can you take more pictures of it. Like I said you can get 1500. in parts and scrap out of it but you want an Airstream not a disposal project. So a few to ask would be 62 overlander 63 overlander do a search and send them a pm ask the pros there are many more but I cant at the moment for the life of me remember more than there first name like Chris or Perry those people know! thanks for listening.
Cliff
Old 06-18-2013, 09:33 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Newport , North Carolina
Yes Snedwid We know that you want it but they may not like your icon! now be nice lol
Old 06-18-2013, 09:33 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
It may be a bargain and/or it could be a money pit. You could get a local inspector to help you get an evaluation based on a visual inspection. You will need to reimburse them, at least for their expenses.

This is a link to volunteer inspectors in FL.

Edit: I removed the link since it was incorrect. You can search on this forum to find volunteer inspectors.
Old 06-18-2013, 09:35 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Tampa , Florida
Snedwid, I'm with you, my man, I think it's ridiculous that this person is trying to unload a hunk of junk on an unknowing soul. Because I believe in your cause, and I'm sure you're swamped anyway, I'm willing to relieve you of said burden and I'LLLLLL contact the seller directly. So just go ahead and send me the details and I'll set him straight.
Taylormade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 09:38 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Newport , North Carolina
go to the Classifieds and look at the 72 for 6500. I think that 1500. is not so bad!
Old 06-18-2013, 09:46 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Perry , Florida
OK, I'm busted. Truth be told: I'd buy it in a heartbeat for 1500$ with the idea in mind that it has got to be worth that if only for salvage. For the record, I got first dibs on it. Scrapcode: If you don't take it, let me know and I'll be happy to get it. I assume its in Palm Coast and I'm practilaly next door.
Old 06-18-2013, 10:41 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2004 31' Classic
lubbock , Texas
Looks like a residential fridge ... Original a/c ... Riding kinda low - may need axles ... Tambour doors ... Try not to get into a bidding war with snedwid ... He just wants to grab it himself

Have fun with it & good luck
jump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 02:51 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Looks like the body is in good shape the side I can see. Looks like someone has tried to seal the roof with cool seal or something similar. The axels are shot ($1200). There is probably some rotten floor but that is a given for one this age. I have seen these go for alot more but all need restoration so $1500 is not bad but don't expect to much. Rear end separation is probably a given but at this price that is ok. Expect a project on anything this old reguardless of what you pay.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 03:31 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
Yeah, it is with $1500 if you want one. Probably another $6000 grand or more to make it roadworthy. How are you going to use it? Fixed location or traveling?
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 03:33 PM   #12
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
I see these threads all the time. It is often hard to assess what is actually being asked...

I might be reading into this but scrapcode? Are you in the scrap business and this came to you as scrap? If so, not telling your business, but the total metal is about $1800 once separated and it would take a lot of labor to separate it all. Run through a shredder it would be an easy task...
As Perry said, rear end issues of this era and length are a given. The pan holding the black tank is most likely on it's last legs too. There are most likely some frame issues that will need to be addressed. The windows on this trailer are awesome. They work very well.
If you are looking for a project, you will have it with this rig. In the end, it will be a great trailer. $1500 is an excellent price in my opinion even if it has the issues mentioned.
If you are the seller, you are going to make someone very happy with the selling price. I suggest you stick firm if this is the case.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sovereign