RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 07-12-2015, 09:52 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
West Liberty , Kentucky
Keep the aluminum propane tanks. When they are cleaned and polished, they look great.
Air4563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 01:09 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
A perfect candidate for a gut and refit...

http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/g...ps48ed4ea8.jpg

http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/g...pso9eneuyv.jpg

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 09:31 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Go back and get the red Jeep pickup or the red Ford pickup to tow it with!
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 09:49 AM   #24
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
Smile 71 31ftAirstream

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCA View Post
I read on here that the Fantastic fans don't fit the curved roof. I prefer the vintage aluminum cover so I just got a new motor from Inland.

I also read that new Zip Dees for the Sovereign are 21 feet long and cost about $2500. On his trailer I see 2 windows that look like they had awnings. The curbside doesn't look like it's ever had an awning.

If you keep it original you'll spend the least amount of money. The more you change, the more money it will cost and take more time.

Mine was all original and very dirty inside from being parked in a field with a broken skylight and old weatherstripping. Just to get it cleaned and roadworthy will cost about $7-8000. I have solid floors and no rear end sag. If I were to gut it and replace everything I think I would be spending at least 2-3x that much.
When I had zip-dee install awnings in 04/04/2012, 21 ft. awning was $1293.00 curb side 839.00, 47 inch back window 356.00, hardware 621.00, center rafter for 21 ft. 112.00 lift handle kit 31.00, installation chge 380.00 = 3632.00 for all + tax installed at there fact.
featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 10:21 AM   #25
3 Rivet Member

1971 31' Sovereign
Christine , North Dakota
J. Morgan that is one nice looking refit!
The wood looks great, but I don't think it is the look I'm after.
Any pictures of the finished shower?
What did you cover the walls with?
What kind of door does it have?

featherbedder, since I've never had a camper of any kind before, I really am not familiar with the usage of the clear tank, but what you said makes sense. I'll still have to look into either cleaning or replacing the tank depending on condition or general consensus of using old tanks.

featherbedder, I called zipdee directly and the quote they gave me for the curbside full length awning was $2300 plus shipping, he said the one for the street side windows would be roughly $400. I'd love to find the guy you talked to for $1293, I could pull it to their location for that kind of discount.

To those that replied about the tanks, I am going to be looking into getting the tank valves replaced and recertified. On Friday I talked to a guy from Felton MN, the company name is Fevig, he said it would be no problem to get them recertified. But he did not talk about costs.

m.hony, Unfortunately neither of those trucks would make decent pull vehicles for me..
The Jeep is a J-20 with a 360/727 torqueflite (not certain of the year)
The Ford is a '78 F250, the truck was sold to my brother and the motor is supposed to be a 428cj, according to the block casting code, it is either a 428 CJ or a 331 industrial motor. That truck also has power steering, power brakes, AND factory AC.

In my crew there are 2 adults, 2 kids under 7yrs old, and 2 dogs; I need a back seat.

I am always on the lookout for a '67-79 Ford Crew Cab 4wd.
I've been collecting parts to build a MPFI/Turbo 300/ZF5speed with divorced transfer case... but that is not just a whole different thread, but also a whole different forum.. or two...
I go by phlegm on this one..
Old Ford Crew Cab Community | Old Ford Crew Cab Community, Pre 1980 Ford Crew Cab owners community and information source.
I go by CoupeBoy on this one
Ford Six Performance Home/Index

If I was feeling particularly adventurous, in the barn is a '57 4dr Fairlane (223/3 on the tree), and I own (3) '66 Malibu 4drs from back in my teen years (283/powerglide, 230/powerglide, and the last one has no drivetrain)

Dad has a couple Eagle 4wd cars too.. 258/auto
And a full sized 4dr Jeep Cherokee.

These would all be projects of their own, but that's ok, I am used to automotive projects.

I've been collecting old cars/trucks for decades while my wife and I finished college, post secondary school, bought a house, had kids, bought more land, started her business, and the kids are finally of age where the boy wants to help, and I won't be spending $1200 on daycare any longer so free time and money will finally start becoming available.

It isn't about needing a tow vehicle, I have one already, if I get a different one; it will be about getting one that I like, and that I like to work on.

I bit off a couple projects this spring before the AS became an option.
1963.5 Falcon Convertible 260/4speed (gift from Dad)
Picture from this spring when I bought it home.
I'm not totally Ford centric, but when you have as many of them and parts for them as I do... it is hard to stray..

And a
1978 Case 1830 that I am repowering with a Ford inline 200
The SkidSteer Forum > Forum

Well the Mustang is off the alignment rack, I replaced the strut rod bushings and idler arm, so the Caster and toe were really out of whack.

The picture upload failed over half of the images, I'll try again in a bit.
It almost looks as though there never was a packrat living in it..

And in regards to the 'Breaking Bad' comment, you have no close to how true that line is... I could tell stories, but I don't want y'all thinking I'm a redneck...
phlegm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 10:51 AM   #26
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
Smile 71 31ftAirstream

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlegm View Post
J. Morgan that is one nice looking refit!
The wood looks great, but I don't think it is the look I'm after.
Any pictures of the finished shower?
What did you cover the walls with?
What kind of door does it have?

featherbedder, since I've never had a camper of any kind before, I really am not familiar with the usage of the clear tank, but what you said makes sense. I'll still have to look into either cleaning or replacing the tank depending on condition or general consensus of using old tanks.

featherbedder, I called zipdee directly and the quote they gave me for the curbside full length awning was $2300 plus shipping, he said the one for the street side windows would be roughly $400. I'd love to find the guy you talked to for $1293, I could pull it to their location for that kind of discount.

To those that replied about the tanks, I am going to be looking into getting the tank valves replaced and recertified. On Friday I talked to a guy from Felton MN, the company name is Fevig, he said it would be no problem to get them recertified. But he did not talk about costs.

m.hony, Unfortunately neither of those trucks would make decent pull vehicles for me..
The Jeep is a J-20 with a 360/727 torqueflite (not certain of the year)
The Ford is a '78 F250, the truck was sold to my brother and the motor is supposed to be a 428cj, according to the block casting code, it is either a 428 CJ or a 331 industrial motor. That truck also has power steering, power brakes, AND factory AC.

In my crew there are 2 adults, 2 kids under 7yrs old, and 2 dogs; I need a back seat.

I am always on the lookout for a '67-79 Ford Crew Cab 4wd.
I've been collecting parts to build a MPFI/Turbo 300/ZF5speed with divorced transfer case... but that is not just a whole different thread, but also a whole different forum.. or two...
I go by phlegm on this one..
Old Ford Crew Cab Community | Old Ford Crew Cab Community, Pre 1980 Ford Crew Cab owners community and information source.
I go by CoupeBoy on this one
Ford Six Performance Home/Index

If I was feeling particularly adventurous, in the barn is a '57 4dr Fairlane (223/3 on the tree), and I own (3) '66 Malibu 4drs from back in my teen years (283/powerglide, 230/powerglide, and the last one has no drivetrain)

Dad has a couple Eagle 4wd cars too.. 258/auto
And a full sized 4dr Jeep Cherokee.

These would all be projects of their own, but that's ok, I am used to automotive projects.

I've been collecting old cars/trucks for decades while my wife and I finished college, post secondary school, bought a house, had kids, bought more land, started her business, and the kids are finally of age where the boy wants to help, and I won't be spending $1200 on daycare any longer so free time and money will finally start becoming available.

It isn't about needing a tow vehicle, I have one already, if I get a different one; it will be about getting one that I like, and that I like to work on.

I bit off a couple projects this spring before the AS became an option.
1963.5 Falcon Convertible 260/4speed (gift from Dad)
Picture from this spring when I bought it home.
I'm not totally Ford centric, but when you have as many of them and parts for them as I do... it is hard to stray..

And a
1978 Case 1830 that I am repowering with a Ford inline 200
The SkidSteer Forum > Forum

Well the Mustang is off the alignment rack, I replaced the strut rod bushings and idler arm, so the Caster and toe were really out of whack.

The picture upload failed over half of the images, I'll try again in a bit.
It almost looks as though there never was a packrat living in it..

And in regards to the 'Breaking Bad' comment, you have no close to how true that line is... I could tell stories, but I don't want y'all thinking I'm a redneck...
The $1293.00 did not include hardware, as it is priced separetly. the price of $839.00 was for street side. the $600.00 was for all hardware for awnings I pur. + there would be price increase since 2012. The prices that I stated was from my receipt that I pd. zip= dee. If you have fax I would fax this info to you. either pm me or send fax # to bill73r1@gmail.com Bill
Old 07-13-2015, 12:38 PM   #27
3 Rivet Member

1971 31' Sovereign
Christine , North Dakota
In case you guys didn't notice. I love pictures, my motto is the more the merrier. By the time I'm done, I almost guarantee that I will have shot an image of every inch of this AS.

In some of my pictures you see a haze in the background, that is from the wildfires that blew smoke down from Canada.

My wife said to move it closer to the shop, so Friday, I parked it along the fence line between my property and the neighbors yard.

I will eventually move the 1957 Farmall 400 from along side the shop, then clean up some small trees and a rock pile that are in that location and move the AS as close to the shop as is reasonable. And then I'll test out the leveling jacks -- this AS has 4 of them.

On the drive over there, this branch knocked off the cinder block that was holding the Tupperware cover on the rear most vent.

And that is as good a place as any to start.. the roof rear vent cover.. from the top side.

As CraigCA stated, there is currently no electricity or fan in this vent. There is a ton of sealer.. but it isn't sealed very well.

While I was up there, I took a few more pictures of the AC unit, and how it is sealed... more silicone.

I have been reading articles on how to remove silicone, I should be an expert by the time I get this AS done.
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f456...lk-131624.html

Great gobs of silicone, there must have been a sale...

The rest of the roof looks great IMHO.

Well maybe not everything on the roof looks great, there is quite a bit of moss growing on things, like this center mounted sunlight.

I made my way around the AS taking pictures of the issues I need to fix, more silicone around the tops of a few windows.

Street side above the twin bed.
Needs silicone removed and to be sealed with appropriate caulk
Needs weather stripping replaced
Needs U-channel window seal replaced
Needs window lock bracket re-attached to window frame
Many of the windows have all or most of these same issues, so I'll only show them once.

Broken off window lock plate (looks like rivet failure)

All of the windows have failed weather stripping like this.

When the weather stripping I ordered arrives, I'll start a window re-hab post in the appropriate area and drop a link in this thread to it.

All of the exterior doors have failed weather seals, this one had been duct taped shut by the PO to seal out drafts.

Same with the exterior compartment doors, I'll eventually order new seal material for them and get them back to ship shape.

If anybody reading this knows where I can get a replacement door, or at least the top piece of aluminum that acts as a pivot for the refrigerator access door, I'd appreciate the lead. One of the PO's took a cut off wheel to a good portion of this one, and I don't know why.

More gooey, dripped silicone to be removed..

One of the previous owners (PO) used silicone on everything.

We had been gone on Saturday to Jamestown ND to retrieve the pontoon, when we got home it was 10pm CST. So no work Saturday.

Sunday it was another sweltering day, upper 80's with a chance of thunderstorms/tornadoes all day, so no work Sunday.

My wife leaves for the gym every morning at 4:30am CST, I took care of some work-work (remotely) and some house work, and headed out to continue my cleaning before actually getting ready for work this morning.

This sucks, but it is what it is..
The two windows that flank the front center glass, have been replaced with plexiglass. The plexiglass is in place and does not leak, so it is staying at least for now.

I think that radio antenna has to go..

Staying on windows for a bit longer.
What looks like factory sealant has failed between the front curbside window and the window right below it. I am fairly certain that the lower window has a proper name, I just don't know it.... yet.

After thinking about CraigCA's comment that it didn't look like this AS had ever had an awning installed. I think it did by evidence of this rub spot.

These spots where brackets are missing from.

Top front, curb side above the vista window.

Bottom bolt holes through the trim

And while I was up there on a ladder, I took a look at the front vent cover.. almost wish I hadn't, but this was already on the list of things to replace. I'm not digging the plexi-glass patch panel..

I'm pretty certain that this antennae has served its purpose and at minimum the bulk of the mast will be removed. (more moss on the sky light cover)

Anybody know of a fun project that I might do if I keep the hand crank raise/lower lever on the inside?

Note to self..
There are 5 red clearance lights
There are 7 amber clearance lights.
my brother left 2 of each
Blazer C12544A
Blazer C12544R
Available from Wal-Mart according to Google for about $7.50/each.
I will likely buy more of these to match the ones he left as I replace the existing damaged lights.

That ends the exterior updates.
Old 07-13-2015, 01:24 PM   #28
3 Rivet Member

1971 31' Sovereign
Christine , North Dakota
Moving to the interior, this morning I spent most of my time unscrewing things, my brother had put up aftermarket curtains, he had used 90 degree metal straps to build a 'crib' out of the curb side twin bed, he had screwed what felt like a hundred 1/2" diameter hooks into the walls to hold up the blankets he used for curtains, and quite a few nails.

After CraigCA's comment about the fart fan, I had to go find mine..

There were a bunch of this type of curtain bracket that had to be removed.

This is an example of what he used the 1/2" diameter C-hooks for..

I took down these swanky wall coverings, I presume they were to keep sleeping occupants from getting cold if they laid against the walls on chilly nights.

FWIW, none of the lights in the sleeping area are functional, I haven't looked into them yet to find out why.

After I removed all the extra hardware and used a broom to sweep everything in the front seating area, I used a shop vac to get the big stuff, then I went back over it with the house vacuum to get all the remaining stuff.

And then I took a bunch more pictures
Standing as far forward as I can, looking toward the bathroom.

Street Side wall
Anybody know what that outlet is for that he has black taped shut?

Curb Side window
I finally took down his 'flat panel' mount.
The rods for the window are in the cabinet above the curb side twin bed.

Inside the walk door
Hey look, another white C-hook (that one is still there)

Kitchen area
Almost looks salvageable, as look as you don't look at the insides of the sink, and I found another mouse nest under the burners on the stove top.
The metal above the window looks to be Mickey Moused together.

Refrigerator opening
I'm storing a few 'saved' items in there for now.
I found a pillow stuffed up the reefer exhaust duct. Yet another 'ew' moment. There is some sort of nest up there that needs to be dealt with as well.

A quick snapshot of the upper tambour covers in their closed postions.
3 out of 4 are still in place and working.. not bad.

Street side bed
The front most tambour is heavily damaged, the rear one closes.
I just realized I didn't examine the lower tambour very well.
These pictures were taken around 7am CST after cleaning stuff for almost 2 hours, I was still half asleep..

Looking at the Street Side bed from the bathroom door and using the flash.

Curb Side twin bed

With no lights in this compartment, I tried a couple different angles. None were great..

Same bed from the opposite side of the AS and using a flash this time.

The bathroom cabinets seem to be in decent shape, but it is hard to get good pictures of big items while inside the bathroom, its snug..

And behind the lower door is the water heater.

The main breaker box and the fart fan motor

The upper bathroom cabinets look decent.

The bath tub shelving looks decent, but I am fairly certain that it is missing a door of some sort, my brother had this area covered by a shower curtain that he c-clipped in place.

Sorry, without a light fixture cover, the light is a bit harsh.
Transition from the shelving area to the sink and counter.

Other side of the bathroom including the toilet..

The other bathroom closet (curb side)

Under the piece-o-plywood is the univolt, and I *assume* where they batteries are supposed to be stored.

Looking through the bathroom door toward the front of the AS

Walking forward into the sleeping area, looking toward the front door.

And then I realize I forgot to vacuum the pantry... dang

And I notice what a hack job the PO did when they installed the 110v only fridge, the fridge is no longer in the trailer, because it had 2 year old food in it, and I got rid of it.

As a bonus, the PO did a bit of handy work cutting on the reefer vent, I assume this was to aid in the installation of the pillow that I mentioned earlier.

And finally, the front living room area with the vista windows open and the lights on.

For giggles, I turned off the lights and closed the vista window shades.

So I could compare it to the same room with the lights off and he vista windows open.

It really is quite a remarkable difference that those vista windows make.

And that ends my adventures in AS for today.
Tomorrow's plan is to get a big bucket of Pine Sol and some elbow length gloves so I can start wiping things down, oh the glory!

In case you are really bored, or looking for a specific picture of a thing, you may want to check out all of the pictures on photobucket. Yes, I posted a lot, yet I barely scratched the surface of what I took..

Friday's move and Monday's cleaning results.
MoreCleaning_07132015 by Ron Beyer | Photobucket
Old 07-13-2015, 02:05 PM   #29
4 Rivet Member

1971 31' Sovereign
1973 29' Ambassador
Palm Desert , California
Almost identical to mine.

I can't tell from the picture but I didn't see any awning mounting hardware on the curbside. All Airstreams had the upper awning rail installed curbside from the factory. Those marks were probably from trees. I have the same thing from palms brushing against mine.

If you change any parts, please offer them for sale on the forum. People (like me) are looking for original parts.

The plastic lenses for the ceiling lights are NLA.
CaCraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 02:15 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Phegm?
Isn't that the stuff you hack up when you have a sinus infection, cold, flu or allergies?
An old Ford crew cab would be a cool "period correct" tow vehicle.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 07-13-2015, 03:16 PM   #31
3 Rivet Member

1971 31' Sovereign
Christine , North Dakota
CraigCA.
These light covers?
This is the one off the bedroom area ceiling light, it has signs of being hot at one point and is melted slightly in the center.

What parts would you be interested in?

I know you guys say moving/remodeling is expensive, and Craig, I don't know if you have used those single beds, but I am a 'full figured' kind of guy, 5'10" 250lbs, I don't think me and my wife could share one of those tiny beds.

I've been looking at the new model airstream floor plans, and I really like the
2016 International Signature 30ft plan.

The Classic floor plan is nice too, but I don't want a rear opening toilet door.

About the only thing that I don't like about it, the shower location. My Sovereign has a window about there. I'll have to take real measurements to know exactly where.

m.hony..
you picking on my name?
Every time I read yours, I accidently mentally add an "r" right between the "o" and the "n"

And yes, phlegm is that nasty green mucus colored stuff that you hack up when you have a cold, it is also about the same color as my '67 Mustang (original color is Lime Gold) and these soft bed sides that I took out this morning.
Old 07-13-2015, 03:43 PM   #32
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
The place that is taped w/black tape on street side. On my 76 31ft it is tv jack and 12 volt cig. lighter socket. AS used old style flat lead wire from antenna, as for padding above bed AS installed in mine.
Old 07-13-2015, 04:18 PM   #33
4 Rivet Member

1971 31' Sovereign
1973 29' Ambassador
Palm Desert , California
The thing with tape on it should be a 12V socket with 2 screws for the old flat type tv antenna.

That light cover is not the right one for your lights. From your pictures, it looks like your ceiling fixtures have a gold anodized base. The correct lenses are deeper than the one on your shelf and the sides are vertical. I just found this out about 6 weeks ago.

Oh I don't think you could share those twin beds either. I'm 6'-1" 185 lbs. and I would have to sleep at an angle. It looks like your gaucho bed is missing from the front of your AS. That makes into a double bed. That credenza is supposed to be over by the refrigerator and a gaucho in it's place.

My AS is just about complete except I'm still looking for the curtain rails that mount to the underside of the upper cabinets above the twin beds.
Old 07-13-2015, 04:30 PM   #34
3 Rivet Member

1971 31' Sovereign
Christine , North Dakota
I'll check for the curtain holders, I swear I saw some sliding rails above the windows when I was cleaning this morning.

I'll get better pictures of the light fixtures and covers.

This hide-a-bed was in the living room area.

Hiding under a ton of garbage under the street side windows.
It was an excellent source of warmth for a small family of mice.
The couch is no more.

a gentle reminder of what this space looks like today.
Old 07-13-2015, 04:57 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by phlegm View Post
CraigCA.
These light covers?
This is the one off the bedroom area ceiling light, it has signs of being hot at one point and is melted slightly in the center.

What parts would you be interested in?

I know you guys say moving/remodeling is expensive, and Craig, I don't know if you have used those single beds, but I am a 'full figured' kind of guy, 5'10" 250lbs, I don't think me and my wife could share one of those tiny beds.

I've been looking at the new model airstream floor plans, and I really like the
2016 International Signature 30ft plan.

The Classic floor plan is nice too, but I don't want a rear opening toilet door.

About the only thing that I don't like about it, the shower location. My Sovereign has a window about there. I'll have to take real measurements to know exactly where.

m.hony..
you picking on my name?
Every time I read yours, I accidently mentally add an "r" right between the "o" and the "n"

And yes, phlegm is that nasty green mucus colored stuff that you hack up when you have a cold, it is also about the same color as my '67 Mustang (original color is Lime Gold) and these soft bed sides that I took out this morning.
Your Mustang is the color I affectionately call "sinus infection snot green".
TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 07-13-2015, 05:02 PM   #36
4 Rivet Member

1971 31' Sovereign
1973 29' Ambassador
Palm Desert , California
Check this site out. I looked on here a lot to see what was supposed to be where.

1971 Sovereign 31' - Vintage Airstream
Old 07-14-2015, 10:43 AM   #37
3 Rivet Member

1971 31' Sovereign
Christine , North Dakota
Quote:
Almost identical to mine.

I can't tell from the picture but I didn't see any awning mounting hardware on the curbside. All Airstreams had the upper awning rail installed curbside from the factory.
I think I know why you didn't think I had an awning (ever).

You posted a link to some other 1971 Sovereigns.
These next two pictures are from that link. (i.e. NOT my AS)

This is what most people think of when they talk about awning mounts.

I think mine had this type of awning. The awning arms attach much lower, right through the bottom trim.

In a previous post, I had this picture, it shows two bolt holes through that same trim. Also look how intense the color is still, that portion of the trim had been covered for a very long time.
Quote:
Those marks were probably from trees. I have the same thing from palms brushing against mine.
There is a mark above the walk door that I would easily attribute to a branch rubbing.

But not for this one, that line is far too long and straight for nature to have been the culprit.

Quote:
That light cover is not the right one for your lights. From your pictures, it looks like your ceiling fixtures have a gold anodized base. The correct lenses are deeper than the one on your shelf and the sides are vertical.
Ya, I guess they look 'goldish' still.

When the slightly melted one is pressed up into place, the center hole 'bottoms out' on the center stud/switch assembly, leaving an airgap around the top.

This is the light fixture that is in the kitchen area, I have not made any changes to it or bulb replacements since I bought the AS home.

I'd have guessed that they left an airgap as a means to let airflow past the bulb and prevent heat buildup and eventual plastic melting.. but I've been wrong in the past... just ask my wife.

Quote:
If you change any parts, please offer them for sale on the forum. People (like me) are looking for original parts.

The plastic lenses for the ceiling lights are NLA.
You've got a PM about the upper curtain hanger/slider.

And another topic that seemed to be of interest.

Propane Tank revalving and recertification.

I called a local Fargo company
Ferrellgas
701-235-4211

Talked to a nice sounding lady "Dana"
She said to expect to pay the following (plus tax)
$7/each recertification
$25-30 for each tank to be re-valved

The costs were an estimate, she was using an older catalog and said she "added a couple bucks" to each the standard valve and the valve with fuel level to get the above revalve price.

She said it was something they could do 'right there at the dock' any day of the week. So I'll plan on bringing them in and getting that taken care of by end of week.
Old 07-14-2015, 11:25 AM   #38
3 Rivet Member

1971 31' Sovereign
Christine , North Dakota
Well now that the Q&A portion of this update is complete, lets get back to the boring business of wiping down everything with Pine-Sol... such a thankless dirty task; I spent about 2 hours this morning making water dirty.

Last night I opened all the windows and let the mothball stench air out a bit over night.

Went out this morning, again around 5:30-5:45am, turned on all the lights, donned a pair of nitrile gloves. Took a picture, then got to work.

I had only cleaned the upper portions of the walls in the nose cone, everything above the lowest horizontal splice/rivet line.

And my water was already filthy.

Before I dumped it and got a new bucket of clean water, I decided to wipe off the counter top..

From this.

To this.. quite a difference if I do say so myself.

I knew it was early in the AM, I thought my eyes were playing tricks on me, I had wiped out the top of the pantry and the top exterior door, and a bunch of other things and was stepping out to get my third bucket of clean water when I noticed how much darker the top half of the pantry was compared to the lower section. I must say I was impressed with my cleaning prowess.

Later after cleaning the lower half, inside, outside, and shelving, I realized that the top half must have been open most of its life and the color was preserved because it wasn't sun faded.

Moving on, the bed area was fairly straight forward, not a lot to work around, I did vacuum out the upper cabinets, under the plywood that used to support the mattresses, and inside the lower cabinets.

And then on to the bathroom.

From fairly nasty.

To a much cleaner state.

I did not wipe down in the bathtub, but all the counter tops, and cabinets, anything left behind in these pictures is a stain.

And the final interior cleaning shot from this AS this morning.
Old 07-14-2015, 11:48 AM   #39
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
The pic. of awning that bolts into rub rail is probably care free of colorado that many dealers installed, also some say A&E made some tho I have never seen one in 52 yrs. of AS ownership. They pull off body at bottom mount. They are no longer availible for AS curved sides, no parts, only springs w/end caps and material, no other hard ware. If no awning I strongly suggest zip-dee, a little pricey but exc. awning plus parts and exc. serv. Not only me but many others say thing about them. zip- dee did not become popular until later yrs. Henry started making a few in 1966 or 67 I had 0ne of first on 1967 30 ft. AS
Old 07-14-2015, 12:38 PM   #40
3 Rivet Member

1971 31' Sovereign
Christine , North Dakota
featherbedder, thanks for the history of awnings, I know I should stick with the ZipDee, but my frugal nature says that I need to explore at least a couple other options. Yesterday I called a local Tarp company (TRS Industries), they would happily make me a new cover, but they don't sell any frame work, or recoil components. I called a local RV dealership, the guy that answered the phone said he had never heard of ZipDee... I found that odd, even I had heard of them before I bought the AS. Carlos from the Recreation Outlet store is off my list of local experts

And as I expect with any new project, the list will get longer before I start knocking things off it.

Starting at the front of the trailer.
The electric jack is long gone, and in its place is a manual jack, which I am ok with since I've never had an electric jack before, but there is a broken bolt, and loose wiring.

Avid AS users will also note that the electric emergency switch doesn't have a battery, so I'll have to get an updated/new switch and a battery.

The hitch does have Reese brand weight distribution hitch brackets bolted to it, but I did not receive any of the other parts of the hitch when I bought the AS, I'll research replacement parts vs buying a new one.

I've read plenty of posts about using a WD hitch vs none, and I've watched the videos for the Hensley, and then read some disturbing information about what it does when the TV uses engine/transmission for slowing and not brakes. I will not be going the route of a Hensley. I have a ton more reading to do about WD hitches before buying anything..

Some simple questions.. like
The difference between 750lb bars and 1000lb bars, is that related to the tongue weight when loaded? Or is that related to how much force is transferred from the trailer to the TV?

So game plan for up front.
Extract broken bolt, install new bolt.
Buy new switch
Buy battery and box for switch to hook up to
remove WD hitch brackets (store them potentially for later)
wire wheel, prime paint hitch frame. (drop spare tire and paint carrier while I'm at it)

Moving on to other hitch related stuff, I am going to have to find a crash course in propane and propane accessories...

I am certain that several of these parts have official names, but I am propane illiterate. I'll learn the terminology eventually, I just never needed to know before now.

How do I know if the tank switcher is still usable? Do they expire like tank certifications?
Should I replace that metal flexible hose?

Also with a new project, you find things that make you say
Wednesday
Thursday
Friday??

I am pretty certain that the bathroom door was supposed to slide into this pocket when opened, but somebody put a full length piano hinge on it.

Roller track and pocket, where I presume the door should be attached, and slide to.

While I was cleaning this morning, I vacuumed under the twin beds and saw the inner fenders for the first time, I was a bit surprised to see daylight through the seams.

Is this normal?
Even if it is normal, I am going to look for a process/procedure to seal this up, I don't want the wheels having the potential to throw water inside the AS.

Under the beds on the street side, there are metal bins that hold the plastic totes.

From the aisle, it is hard to see because it is brown painted steel.

They are easier to see from the backside where the colors clash.

All three storage bin areas on the Street side had these metal inserts, NONE of the curb side storage areas had one.

One thing I have come to appreciate is that most of the interior components are made out of very thin and lightweight material, which is why I suppose people warn so often about remodeling and adding extra weight to the AS. The "walls"/partitions do not support much, the heaviest thing I have seen is a fold down table (roughly 22"x18"), their main purpose isn't to add structure, it is to divide areas into compartments.

I wanted to start stripping the windows of their old seals and tint, but we are expecting thunderstorms again this afternoon, so I decided to leave them for another day.

And then the really crazy ideas start filtering in..
If I move the bedroom to the rear, I wonder if anybody has added extra vista windows?

Under the original beds, there was a lot of wasted space, I wonder if anybody has ever added an extra door as a pull out for an outside kitchen/burner?

Tags
sovereign