Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Sovereign > 1970 - 1973 Sovereign
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-31-2017, 07:34 PM   #21
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Aurora , Colorado
Phlegm, by going to a mid bath, is there a lot of rerouting of pipes? Is that a difficult undertaking? I like the idea of a rear bedroom,
i like the idea of winging it.
Tridaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 08:11 PM   #22
3 Rivet Member

1971 31' Sovereign
Christine , North Dakota
If you haven't read this yet, you should it will answer a lot of questions.
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f186...2-a-50967.html

Chris and Kay did excellent work.
And while we may not all have their skills, we can derive inspiration to think outside the box.

I can't answer your questions about how hard it will be because I haven't done it yet. I'm going to do it so the amount of work involved is irrelevant. It takes what it takes, and I'm going to screw it up at least once. And I'm ok with that.

-ron
phlegm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 08:24 PM   #23
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Aurora , Colorado
Thanks Ron, I like the way you think.
The link is great, I have just been swimming through it, but some interesting information.
Old 06-01-2017, 06:26 AM   #24
Rivet Master

1972 29' Ambassador
Boynton Beach , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tridaddy View Post
Phlegm, by going to a mid bath, is there a lot of rerouting of pipes? Is that a difficult undertaking? I like the idea of a rear bedroom,
i like the idea of winging it.
I moved the bath on mine, from rear to mid. If you go with a composting toilet, it's fairly easy. I'm using flexible 3/4" tubing for the sink drain, PEX, and a floor drain for the wet head. There was the perfect amount of room for the bedroom and the head, without having to move the fridge. You should be golden with a Sovereign.

Start collecting as many large pieces of cardboard you can! I'm lucky, in that I can snake 4X8 pieces whenever I buy the Eurolite ply I've been using.

Uh oh, I think that I might be hijacking this thread!
SuzyHomemakr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 03:59 PM   #25
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Aurora , Colorado
Why the cardboard? I understand that with a regular toilet, the waste goes to the black tank, with a composting toilet, where does the waste go?

Do you have or know where there is a sketch of how you did your layout?
Old 06-01-2017, 04:31 PM   #26
3 Rivet Member

1971 31' Sovereign
Christine , North Dakota
The waste goes into a "cassette" under the toilet that you have to change out when it gets "full"

My wife already shot down that idea.
phlegm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 07:37 AM   #27
Rivet Master

1972 29' Ambassador
Boynton Beach , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tridaddy View Post
Why the cardboard? I understand that with a regular toilet, the waste goes to the black tank, with a composting toilet, where does the waste go?

Do you have or know where there is a sketch of how you did your layout?
The cardboard is for making full size patterns. Sorry, I should have been more specific.

Liquid waste goes into a small tank that needs emptying every few days, especially if much beer is being consumed. Solid stuff goes into a larger tank, which is half full of peat moss. You're supposed to change that once a year. Yeah, it grosses my wife out, too.

Attached is my prelim plan, which I've managed to complexify greatly. I've just done a bunch of work in the bedroom, installing an overhead console, and am varnishing everything this week.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	planModel011.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	126.4 KB
ID:	286721  
SuzyHomemakr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 12:41 PM   #28
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Aurora , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzyHomemakr View Post
The cardboard is for making full size patterns. Sorry, I should have been more specific.

Liquid waste goes into a small tank that needs emptying every few days, especially if much beer is being consumed. Solid stuff goes into a larger tank, which is half full of peat moss. You're supposed to change that once a year. Yeah, it grosses my wife out, too.

Attached is my prelim plan, which I've managed to complexify greatly. I've just done a bunch of work in the bedroom, installing an overhead console, and am varnishing everything this week.
That makes sense for the cardboard. Once you move aft or forward of the front and rear end caps respectively, does the curvature remain relatively the same?

As for removing waste, I do not know if I would prefer burning it with diesel fuel (been there done that) or swapping out peat moss, maybe a cat hole would be ok. LOL

I like your prelim plan that loos good. I like the mid bath idea, maybe a little more compact than having it in the rear but a rear sleeping quarters area is really appealing.

Tags
sovereign