Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Sovereign > 1970 - 1973 Sovereign
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-08-2013, 09:19 PM   #21
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
dekalb , Illinois
Yeah I just thought something simple like tire size might be listed somewhere in one of them but it is not in the service manual and I didn't know about the owners manual.
paulitee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 09:31 PM   #22
3 Rivet Member

1972 31' Excella 500
Mount Vernon , Is For Lovers
Thumbs up Battery

Congratulations on your "new" AS! If it hasn't been mentioned you may want to bring a fully charged battery to operate the jack etc.
Sylver Slypr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 10:10 PM   #23
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Secure the door, lock every window, secure access doors. Take good care of those awnings. Take them down and store them in the trailer if you have to.
Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 06:48 AM   #24
4 Rivet Member

1977 25' Tradewind
Waskesiu Lake , Saskatchewan
I don't know if your deal includes all of the hitch components, but the trailer does have the brackets mounted on the frame for a weight distribution hitch. If nothing else is included, make sure you have the other components. Most ball-only assemblies or bumper mounted balls have tongue weight restrictions in the neighbourhood of 500 lbs., and your trailers tongue weight exceeds that.

If you aren't mechanically inclined, it would be good if you could hire a RV mechanic for several hours to repack wheel bearings, check and repair brakes and correct any wiring deficiencies. It's way easier and cheaper to deal with these things in a driveway than on the shoulder of the highway!

Good luck and safe travels!

1977 25' Tradewind (with two ... three... FOUR dogs)
2011 Ram 1500 Quad cab, 5.7 Hemi, tow pkg.
kevin242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 07:33 AM   #25
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
dekalb , Illinois
Okay so here's where were at so far. Were going to bring lights that we can temporarily attach to the back. I think were going to buy 2 brand new tires and rims and just replace whatever the two worst wheels are. Just a few months ago the trailer successfully traveled from new York to Kentucky and one wheel was replaced during that trip.

We are going to bring with the wiring diagrams to hopefully change the setup to something more modern. I was thinking having some spare fuses and 12 gauge wiring might not be a bad idea too.

We know the awning needs to be secured or taken off sbut we have no idea how to do either so that could take some time to solve.

We will be packing the wheel bearings and I think maybe just praying for a miracle on the brakes. I would really prefer to keep costs down and do as much work ourselves without hiring a mechanic.

Were hoping our mechanic friend may accompany us on the trip and provide a chase vehicle to make it a little easier. We will have a wife array of tools, gorilla tape, etc. In case of anyminor problems and were just going to take her home slow and steady on a nice flat route.

You guys have all been so great and I feel a lot more prepared now if anybody thinks of anything else were more than happy to take more suggestions! I just can't wait to really get a great look at her!
Old 02-09-2013, 07:34 AM   #26
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
dekalb , Illinois
Wide array of tools lol. Not wife array.
Old 02-09-2013, 09:09 AM   #27
3 Rivet Member

1977 31' Excella 500
Los angeles , California
Send a message via AIM to Protohyp
I'd like an array of wives
Protohyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 09:13 AM   #28
3 Rivet Member

1977 31' Excella 500
Los angeles , California
I would still suggest against any kind of duct tape or gorilla tape. Its just really hard to clean off especially if its been baking in the sun. If you're ingenious enough cinch straps from home depot or harbor freight work the best but be careful with them too as you strap too hard you'll bend panels. but it its great for securing rear end separation through the rear window.
Old 02-09-2013, 09:13 AM   #29
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulitee View Post

We know the awning needs to be secured or taken off sbut we have no idea how to do either so that could take some time to solve.
The awning should be a no brainer. From the pics it looks like the spring has broken. If that is the problem extend the awning fully and roll up the awning by hand.

The main awning is a bit diifferent. Slide the awning arms into their sleeves. Also the main awning arm head castings engage a little wheely thingy on upper main awning rafter arm hinges on the coach at each side of the awning. Screw down the wheely thing which will also secure the awning.

There is a travel latch on each awning to secure it to the coach. Latch it if you can. But since you do not have the spring holding the awning in position bring some binding wire to secure the awning ends. You might have to be a little creative.
Old 02-09-2013, 09:27 AM   #30
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
dekalb , Illinois
Thanks for the tips on the awning. I'm hoping they aren't too damaged and just need to be put away properly. This things last journey was from New York to Kentucky in July and So I'm thinking they made that trip with the awnings as you see them in the photo.

As far as the hitch goes, he said that he would just give us the hitch that went with it, but I have no idea what kind of hitch it is or what I need. My father has probably 10 hitches in his garage and I was going to grab a few of those in case there is a problem. Does anyone know what size it would be? 2 5/16" maybe? The only thing the guy told me on the phone is he's pretty sure its "the big one."

As for height adjustments, I dont know much of anything about the topic so I'm hoping it won't be too problematic. I do have sway bars to bring as well.
Old 02-09-2013, 09:45 AM   #31
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
2 5/16" ball.

Wives are like old Airstreams. It's hard to stop with just one.
Old 02-09-2013, 09:49 AM   #32
3 Rivet Member

1977 31' Excella 500
Los angeles , California
The ball is 2 5/16" If your father has a COMPLETE WD hitch set then bring that. you can just remove everything from the tongue that is currently there and install the necessary parts from your fathers hitch. Make sure you know how to balance the trailer with the WD hitch and the bars are the proper load for the trailer. There are a few youtube videos out there that help with balancing.

Again if you're worried about too much it still is advisable to find a inspector in that area to either meet you out there the day of or get there prior so you know EXACTLY what to expect.

As far as the awnings they can be removed by taking out the screws at one end of the awning rail that is attached to the trailer itself and you can slide it right off. its hard to judge by the disarray of the fabric but most likely you will have to manually unwind the spring before you remove. I think it is 22 winds if properly loaded but don't quote me on that...

Bring a ladder for that operation and it would be a good idea to have one to check proper seating of the vent covers and the AC shroud. you want to make sure those dont blow off on the road.
Old 02-09-2013, 10:11 AM   #33
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
The awning springs are like a torsion garage door double spring, only inside the tube. The springs are less loaded in the up position, but they are still loaded. They are most loaded in the down position. If you take the awnings down, read up on the springs first. The springs are no problem, just understand them and treat them like loaded springs.

If the awning fabric is bad, the roller and arms can be removed for safe transportation by cutting the fabric at the top channel. Cutting the fabric will also unload the springs all at once, so be careful. The cost to replace the big awning fabric with Alumaguard, is only a bit over $600. To replace the whole curbside awning is about $1,800.
Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 11:25 AM   #34
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
If the anchoring spots at top and bottom are secure, a few zip ties on each awning arm can keep them from opening up on the road.
Old 02-14-2013, 09:37 AM   #35
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Missouri City , Texas
Any progress

Any progress in bringing the Airstream home?
Old 02-16-2013, 07:55 AM   #36
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
dekalb , Illinois
TODAY IS THE BIG DAY!!! I will post pictures and problems as soon as possible. I can't wait to bring her home! Wish us luck!