Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Sovereign > 1970 - 1973 Sovereign
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-10-2003, 09:05 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Question Is anyone out there?

Where are all the '73 Sovereign people? I know I'm not the ONLY one. Let's go!
delbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2003, 05:31 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

, Connecticut
They must be hiding with the 73 Globe Trotter people.......
aviontt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2003, 09:13 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

At least we're getting the year right!
Old 09-11-2003, 12:48 PM   #4
pezz

1982 34' Limited
mire poix , midi pyrenees
sovereign?

I in my 72 sovereign,you must be getting warmer?
whats in a year!
Old 09-11-2003, 01:42 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1969 31' Sovereign
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
Should have bought a 71 they have more fun

Garry
garry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2003, 02:52 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

, Connecticut
73's Just FINE for me.....
Old 09-12-2003, 07:12 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member

Tow vehicles

OK guys, now that I have your attention let's start with the questions.

When I bought this AS the jacks were bent. Looked like someone took off without putting them up. I've heard this is from too much weight.

Whatever the reason I need new(er) or repaired jacks. I thought about taking them to a machine shop. See if they could straighten them and maybe do a little angle iron reinforcing.

Have you tried taking them off of yours? Mine have been there since the dawn of time and are frozen. No amount of manpower or chemicals has moved them.

Do I risk drilling them out, or should I cut them off and buy a different type? What are your suggestions?
Old 09-12-2003, 02:22 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

, Connecticut
Have any PICS of the mishap....could give us a better idea....Jeff
Old 09-12-2003, 02:41 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

I have a 71 and a 74 ,but no 72 or 73 . One of my levelers were damaged ,fortunately I was able to unbolt mine.I would try using a penatrating oil called PB Blaster http://www.mfgsupply.com/m/c/32-8824.html this stuff works really good .If it doesnt work i would try to break the screws off then drill them out . Mine used self tapping lag bolt I believe they were 1/4 or #12 .
71tradewind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2003, 10:30 AM   #10
1 Rivet Member

IF AT FIRST YOU DON'T SUCEED

Had two 300 lb buddies (we grow them large in S.C.) try to "gently" assist the removal. Used most of the known lubricants. Including that Southern "good for whatever ails you" Coca Cola. Guess I will take you all's suggestions and cut them off. Just was worried what was underneath if I drilled.

Question #2: tow vehicles. I have a '99 6 cyl F-150. Obviously NOT a tow vehicle.

Was thinking about an Expedition to replace our 8 cyl Explorer. But with all the mountains and backroads (we live at the end of the earth) I'm not sure it's heavy enough.

Keep seeing pics of everyone elses tow vehicles. They all seem to be utility trucks or duallys. Guess that's to tow all the extra parts needed.

Problem with those is it's my wife's Explorer and I can't seem to convince her a utility truck is just the thing to haul groceries in.

Anyway, enough of my problems, what about yours?
Old 02-04-2004, 06:50 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

I have a 31' 1973 Soverign International. Bent stabilizer too, but have not addressed that yet for all the other glitches. Doing a complete rebuild (Floor is good) but everything is trash.
Dick
Navigator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2004, 01:25 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

1973 25' Tradewind
Leavenworth , Kansas
Send a message via Yahoo to RVNUTTY
Can someone tell me what I have?

All I know is that it is a 1973 Landyacht...is that a sovereign or a tradewind or what?
Thanks
rvnutty
RVNUTTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2004, 04:42 PM   #13
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
Hi RVNutty -
If your trailer is truly 25' from bumper to ball then it is a Trade Wind. I think most Airstreams of this time period were referred to as a Land Yacht.

FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2004, 12:39 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
Portland , Oregon
New owner of 31' 1973 Sovereign...

I am new owner of a 31' 1973 Sovereign International that was partially gutted in the interior by the previous owner (the attached interior shot says it pretty well). I would be interested in comparing notes with those of you that are going through the same process as I am.

My first challenge is to figure out what is usable and what needs to be replaced. I have ordered a copy of the service manual and the owners manual from Secretarial Services which should arrive any day now. That should help me figure out what was supposed to be connected to what.

Yesterday I found out that there is a little bit of floor rot on the curb side and that the body appears to have bowed out away from the frame perhaps about 3/4". I am guessing that I will have to at least replace a part of the floor and re-bolt the body on that side. I am pretty sure that I am going to want to remove the belly pan both relative to that problem and to figure out what works and doesn't work underneath.

Here are some questions that I have at this point that I would appreciate feedback regarding:

1.) I have to jack the trailer up to be able to work under it (removing the belly pan in particular. Are there suggested points for lifting that will not conflict with removing the belly pan? I assume the the owners manual will list something about jack points but I don't have that yet. Also I heard that the stabalizer jack locations are not good points for lifting the trailer - is that true?

2.) To remove or replace the bolts that hold the body to the frame will they have to be accessed from below the floor as well as above? I am trying to envision the original assemby steps and I am thinking that the plywood and the belly pan were in place before the body was bolted on. Does that sound right? If so does that imply that the body bolts had some from of captive nut on the frame side?

3.) I think I read on one of the forum postings that I could access the body bolts from the top by partially unriviting the interior panels along the bottom so they could be rolled out a bit. Is this going to be possible?

4.) The fender well material on the curb side appears to be a bit torn where the body had pulled away from it. Is this going to be hard to replace/repair?

Enough questions for now...

Thanks in advance for any help,

Malcolm

P.S. I don't see a spell checker in the reply area. Am I missing something? Also the image that I sent is pretty high resolution - are there guidlines or suggestions for what res should be used for attached pictures?

[img]file:///C:/My%20Documents/Airstream/Before_shots_052304%20011.jpg[/img]
malconium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2004, 04:05 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
Joshua Tree , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by malconium
4 questions plus:

P.S. I don't see a spell checker in the reply area. Am I missing something? Also the image that I sent is pretty high resolution - are there guidlines or suggestions for what res should be used for attached pictures?

[img]file:///C:/My%20Documents/Airstream/Before_shots_052304%20011.jpg[/img]
Welcome Malconium.

Most of your questions have been covered, so I will post some links to get you started, beginning with pictures, 'cause we all like visual aids if possible before we give advice:

How to up load photos: http://www.airforums.com/forum...ead.php?t=7664

SpellChecker: http://www.airforums.com/forum...ht=spell+check I wouldn't worry too much about spelling, no one here gets uptight about "i before e...."

Jacks? Try: http://www.airforums.com/forum...ighlight=jacks (this topic is a bone of contention amongst members - mainly because your life and the life of your trailer depend on doing this properly)

For your bolts question: Hunt or post here: http://www.airforums.com/forum...isplay.php?f=4

Q4 "The fender well material on the curb side appears to be a bit torn where the body had pulled away from it. Is this going to be hard to replace/repair?" Lots of posts on this issue too, here's one:
http://www.airforums.com/forum...ighlight=jacks
mtpalms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2004, 05:09 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
Portland , Oregon
MtPalms,

Thanks for the information. I will following the paths you indicated. The first one I checked was about uploading photos. I made it through the process but the steps documented at the link you gave me is a bit out of date with some of the steps I think.

I am going to try attaching the photo again since it did not seem to make it. At least I don't see it when I look at the posting. I have reduced the resolution.

Malcolm

Old 05-24-2004, 05:13 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
Portland , Oregon
Opps - still no photo...

I am going to try again about the photo...

Malcolm
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Before_11.JPG
Views:	233
Size:	31.0 KB
ID:	6759  
Old 05-24-2004, 06:01 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
Joshua Tree , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by malconium
I am going to try again about the photo...

Malcolm
Oh no....

...I mean..., boy, you're gonna fit right in!
mtpalms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2004, 06:08 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
Tampa Bay , ^
Now that interior appeals to me!

Consider yourself lucky to be able to start from scratch. I have always found it easier to start designing and building from a raw empty space, rather than having to retrofit, modify, and work with old stuff. Just my opinion.

Good luck!

Sneakinup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2004, 01:03 PM   #20
1 Rivet Member

My 1973, 31ft. Land Yacht is a Soverign. I think that the length determines what it is named.
Ineedparts is offline   Reply With Quote