Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-21-2016, 10:01 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
Racine , Wisconsin
Grey tank ideas? ( 1972 Rear Bath)

Can anyone give me some ideas on adding a grey tank? I've searched the threads and can't seem to come up with a clear idea. Some have said to use the fresh water tank as a grey and buy an above the floor tank for the new fresh water.
I'm no rookie to rehabbing trailers but this seems to have me some what puzzled.
I understand needing ventilation and proper pitch for draining water.
My trailer will be far from original when complete and I have her naked now. 
Name:   ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1456117225.051389.jpg
Views: 1229
Size:  124.8 KB

Name:   ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1456117274.181697.jpg
Views: 1259
Size:  113.2 KB

1972 Airstream International Land Yacht Sovereign
mrrealtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 04:24 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1971 31' Sovereign
1973 29' Ambassador
1978 31' Sovereign
Palm Desert , California
I'm going to add a grey water tank between the frame rails just aft of the axles. Then route the shower, bath sink and galley sink to the new grey tank. The vent will tie into the black vent, The drain will go on the street side if the galvanized box that holds the black tank, make a 90 degree turn and exit through a 1.5" valve that's part of the same housing as the 3" black tank valve. That way it can be emptied after the black tank and clean out the slinky.
CaCraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 08:07 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Mrrealtor, have you checked out our Little Girl Refurb thread? She's also a '72 Sovereign with a rear bath.

To summarize the tanks, we bought a new direct replacement fresh water tank, and I built two gray tanks and a new black tank out of 1/4" ABS. The black tank is in the same location, but I flipped it around so it dumps toward the front of the trailer instead of out the rear bumper area. The front gray tank is located directly above the rear axle, and the second gray tank is located in the frame bay directly behind the rear axle. VTS sells gray tanks that will fit up into the belly pan (they didn't exist when I made mine), and they will spin weld fittings onto them for you.

The gray tanks are ganged together with the drains out the bottom that also go to the dump valve. With the black tank draining forward, and the grey tanks draining rearward, we ended up with a single dump station location for both the black and gray dump valves.

All three tanks are vented to the roof with a single vent. If you do that, be sure to tie the vents together high enough so you don't end up with black tank water sloshing into the gray tanks. There are lots of details in our thread.

Feel free to PM me with any questions.

Chris
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 09:52 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
Racine , Wisconsin
Thanks for the advice. I plan to start removing the belly skins in the next week to get a better idea of the placement. I'm excited because after I get the tank situation figured out and do some welding on the very rear of the frame I can actually start the construction part of the build vs the never ending destruction.

mrrealtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 11:47 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1969 25' Tradewind
1971 18' Caravel
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
My 69 had a black water tank below the floor. My 71 had the black water tank above the floor. So the best of both worlds convert the black water tank below the floor for just grey water and add a black water tank above the floor for black water and build a platform over it for the toilet to sit on.

Res nolunt diu male administrari.

WDCU Unit #170
Air #7085

TAC VA-4
WBCCI #2641
VAC
71 Caravel
69 Tradewind

My YouTube Channel
TWaugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 05:49 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1970 25' Tradewind
anderson , South carolina
Smile Adding a gray water tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrrealtor View Post
Thanks for the advice. I plan to start removing the belly skins in the next week to get a better idea of the placement. I'm excited because after I get the tank situation figured out and do some welding on the very rear of the frame I can actually start the construction part of the build vs the never ending destruction.

I added a 35 gal Gray water tank to my 1970 25 ft Land Y since it did npt
Originally have one. The tank was from a salvage unit and cheap. Dia about
30x32x9 with drain bung in center low spot. Mounted it butted up to the
Cross member closest to the rear axle.added an angle iron cross member
On the rear side. Hung the tank with 1 in steel straps. Piped the drain to just
Under the factory black-Gray drain. Use a cap with garden hose nipple on the
Factory drain and connect to same kind of cap on t by e New drain. Gravity
Flow from shower-sink water will flow well. When employing tanks you just
Move drain coupling frm one to the other. Of course ground clearance is
Less with added tank but no problem for me.with this adds tank method
You do not change the origional valve systems etc. BOB c.
Bob Cooke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 08:03 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Since you are doing a complete refurb on your trailer, you can design your "DWV" (drain, waste, vent) plumbing most convenient for you. I'm sure you have a design plan on exactly where the toilet will sit, the shower pan will sit, and same with the bath sink and galley sink. You may have to plumb another roof penetration to accommodate the drain lines.

I used and recommend Inca Plastics out of California as a possilbe source for your waste water tanks. They have been rotomolding tanks for the RV industry for 50 years, and have numerous configurations available. Find their web page and down load their catalogue. I did, and I thumbed through it until I found the dimensions and configuration I wanted. They also sell sealing grommets that fit "hole sawed" holes in the tank, even for the toilet floor flange. You can see them sticking out the top of my tanks in the photo below. I also splurged and installed Garnet See Level liquid level indicators on both tanks. Inca Plastics served me well. Low volume onesie twosie waste water tanks are not cheap, and neither is the shipping costs for such a bulky item. Figure $300 each.

I hung my tanks with angle irons resting on the molded shoulders of the tanks from the frame rails. I drain them on the street side below the frame rails kinda like newer Airstreams. It was easier, and I don't mind the protrusion below the belly pan. I have insulated the tank compartment and heat it with a furnace duct. You can see it behind the rear wheels in the photo below.

Good luck with your project. Remember, rebuilding takes five times longer than the tear down did. Rome wasn't built in a day.

David
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1404 Waste Tanks See Level Senders.jpg
Views:	428
Size:	331.5 KB
ID:	257855   Click image for larger version

Name:	1505 Home Street Rear.jpg
Views:	363
Size:	303.5 KB
ID:	257856  

dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote