Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Sovereign > 1970 - 1973 Sovereign
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-13-2005, 10:21 AM   #1

1972 Sovereign 31ft help!

I just bought my first airstream yesterday. my question is where is the switch to power the electric tongue jack? can i switch over to 12 volt. mine has a rear bath. seen pics on site of others, but not with my sofa style, mine goes across front and side.
cdbeez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2005, 12:16 PM   #2
Rivet Master

The switch for the tongue jack is on the bottom of the cylinder. I think that is where it is on the 1973.
I do not understand what you want to switch over to 12V. If you mean the trailer. your lights and water pump run from a 12V converter all of the time. When you are plugged in it charges your battery and runs the electrical. When you are unplugged you run off of the battery alone.
Your sofa configuration is not that uncommon. My parents' sofa is the L-gaucho like yours. We had a pretty big family and the L-Gaucho was nice to have because of the extra bed.
Anon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2005, 12:42 PM   #3
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
Switch Position

CDB, The switch on my '73 is where Lou indicated; underneath the cylinder. The tongue jack should be a 12v (unless there are other designs that someone else can comment on). As Lou indicated, it runs off the battery when not plugged into "shore" power (and by default the Univolt is providing 12v for the trailer). If your battery is shot, as mine was when I first bought the trailer, you have to provide an alternate source of 12v either thru the Univolt while plugged into shore power or thru the 12v feed coming from the tow vehicle.

Hope that helps. Jim
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2005, 01:09 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

How is it supposed to be wired in?

My jack wasn't wired to the trailer as I assume it should be. I made a plug to go from the jack to the wiring harness on my tow vehicle. Is it supposed to be wired into the trailer somehow? This would be great to know as the tow vehicle option I use isn't as convenient as the other option could be.

Any thoughts and pictures would be greatly appreciated.
74SovereignInt. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2005, 07:27 PM   #5
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
Tongue Jack issues

Hi guys, I know you'll find this hard to believe, but in the process of taking apart my '73 Overlander I actually found the original instruction manual for installation and operation of the jack. It was underneath the roadside bed, hidden from view. The problem is that it very much deteriorated after 30+ years. What I'll try to do over the next couple of days is to reconstruct this manual (it is only 4 or 5 pages), scan it & post it. In addition, I'll get some pictures and post them.

I can tell you this much now. The essense of the installation is that you have a simple 12v device. So, you have a hot lead and a ground. The hot lead is supposed to be wired to the inside of the trailer to the "always hot" 12v lug on the 7 wire connector underneath the front sofa/gaucho/table/whatever. This is the interior end of the 7 wire plug that comes from the tow vehicle. I'm not sure where the ground ties down.

I need to fix this particular connection in my camper, as well. So I'll try to do that over the next couple of days and post all of the results here.
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2005, 08:36 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Sounds like--

mine wasn't set up correctly to begin with. It didn't seem right that I had to get power from the tow vehicle to use the jack. It sounds like I should have a wire running from the lead on the jack along the tongue, into the unit to the power side. I'm thinking that ground is realized just by having it installed. Seems funny that there was no hint of a supply wire though.
74SovereignInt. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005, 03:00 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2020 30' Flying Cloud
1995 25' Excella
Clear Lake , Minnesota
We also have a 1972 with an "L" shaped couch. Love it!
"It was impossible to get a conversation going; everybody was talking too much."
"If you don't know where you are going, you will wind up somewhere else." - Yogi Berra

sovereignrwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005, 08:44 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
Mine has a switch on the jack, and is wired into the coaches 12 volt electrical system. I do not need to be hooked to the tow vehicle to operate the jack.
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005, 08:55 PM   #9
Rivet Master

My dad bought his 1973 brand new. It was always wired into the lug on the inside of the trailer. Not sure which lug or what it came from. It had to come from the trailer. It worked as long as there was shore power or a charged battery hooked to the unit.
Anon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2005, 07:53 AM   #10

thank you all so much. i think my battery is shot, no power to tongue jack at all. i didn't know how 12v system worked. never owned any kind of tt before. dealer said they put battery on tongue for power. does a/s need a speical type of battery?(car or marine)? thank you all again for your help.
cdbeez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2005, 05:41 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

My old '72 had A switch under the the power jack motor BUT A PIECE OF STEEL TUBE ABOUT 1/2" DIAMETER BY ABOUT 1 1/4" LONG was screwed on to the switch to protect it when not in use. This may help. You might still have this piece of tube, as a lot of people still use them. It was originally installed at the factory and I think it is a good idea. It is only put on 'hand tight'. Good luck, NYE
Old 02-15-2005, 08:14 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
Try the "Search" feature...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdbeez
thank you all so much. i think my battery is shot, no power to tongue jack at all. i didn't know how 12v system worked. never owned any kind of tt before. dealer said they put battery on tongue for power. does a/s need a speical type of battery?(car or marine)? thank you all again for your help.
CDBEEZ-

Sounds like you've begun a great adventure, without much of a formal intro by selling dealer, and if Owner's Manual (big fat binder..) is missing, you'll be back here many times... Welcome to the "Club" and congrats!

If you haven't already discovered "Search" feature for this website, it is awesome! Click on search, and type "battery" into little box, and watch long list of earlier messages and replies come up...

You'll get lots of opinions about batteries, but my advice for minimum is heavy duty group 27 (physical size..) Marine or "Deep Cycle" battery of greatest amp hour rating (electrical reserve) at reasonable price. Brands differ, DieHards and Sears are good, so are Walmart or Costco brands, but regular car batteries won't cut it, in general, due to infrequent charging and long slow discharging... High end option is gel cell batteries (2x price) but too much high end stuff defeats pride of Airstreaming for less with previously owned trailer...

John McG

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2005, 04:54 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2020 30' Flying Cloud
1995 25' Excella
Clear Lake , Minnesota
I would add that you may want to have the Univolt checked or replaced. Our batery was dead, replaced, trailer plugged into the house, and even cycled on a timer this winter and the battery is dead again.

The Univolt hums like a bird back there when plugged in. Spring will bring a Univolt check, probable replacement, and probably a new battery too.
"It was impossible to get a conversation going; everybody was talking too much."
"If you don't know where you are going, you will wind up somewhere else." - Yogi Berra

Old 02-25-2005, 08:07 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1969 31' Sovereign
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
The battery goes into the very rear compartment above the bumper. There is a warning light in case you hook it up backwards.

Garry
garry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2005, 10:37 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2020 30' Flying Cloud
1995 25' Excella
Clear Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by garry
The battery goes into the very rear compartment above the bumper. There is a warning light in case you hook it up backwards.

Garry
Our's has it's own compartment curbside. It is near the rear of the trailer, and the univolt is accessed through the curbside closet just before the bathroom. The battery actually sits under the tub from the inside.

Old 12-08-2005, 02:08 PM   #16
Vintage Airstream Owner

1972 31' Sovereign
Conway , South Carolina
Is There a Fuse panel somewhere?

Hi Everyone,
My name is Karl ( Kebamo is my ranches name) I just bought my first Airstream! a 1972 31 Sovereign. I have placed pictures of it on my web site.
www.thebettyboop1972airstream.com We have purchased new flooring to replace the carpet. I was wondering where is the fuse panel or breaker box in these trailers? Mine didn't come with a service manual nor owners, so I am trying to figure all this out.

Thanks,

Karl
Kebamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 06:58 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2020 30' Flying Cloud
1995 25' Excella
Clear Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kebamo
Hi Everyone,
My name is Karl ( Kebamo is my ranches name) I just bought my first Airstream! a 1972 31 Sovereign. I have placed pictures of it on my web site.
www.thebettyboop1972airstream.com We have purchased new flooring to replace the carpet. I was wondering where is the fuse panel or breaker box in these trailers? Mine didn't come with a service manual nor owners, so I am trying to figure all this out.

Thanks,

Karl
I'm going to assume you have mid-twin beds and a rear bath. This is the most common layout. There are two locations that you need to know about. There is a wardrobe closet between the mid-twin bed and the bathroom on the curb side (door side) of the trailer. In the closet there is a door on the bottom right of the floor. Behind that door, you will find a fuse panel. The breaker box is in the bathroom. Next to the toilet (to the left as you sit) is a cabinet on the floor. The breaker box is mounted in this cabinet on the backwall above the shelf over the water heater.

If you have another layout...let us know so that we can try again.

Old 12-08-2005, 07:06 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2020 30' Flying Cloud
1995 25' Excella
Clear Lake , Minnesota
Good News....I clicked the link you provided, and you'll be glad to know you are the proud owner of a mid-twin, rear-bath sovereign!

How's that for being perceptive? LMAO

Old 06-30-2006, 07:33 AM   #19

1972 31' Sovereign
austin , Minnesota
Hello...
I just got my 72 Sovereign 3 weeks ago. It has the 'L' couch...I've been out in it every weekend since buying it. I love it! Just wanted to say hello...
JR
marvande is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 10:23 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
on my 78 the motor for the jack had a plastic bottle over it to protect it, when I took off the bottle, the blue plastic cover on the motor came apart. What I would like to know is where to store this motor when it is not used, and how to rewire the switch that fell off when the covering broke. I have a manual wrench for the jack but the motor seems like a good thing to use.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote