RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 03-22-2009, 09:50 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
Monte Vista , Colorado
1972 Airstream Sovereign Land Yacht

Hello
I just purchased a 1972 31' Sovereign Land Yacht. The number on it is 5945. It has a Wally Byam Club sticker on it. I have been looking on and off for 7 years and found several that I could afford but they were in other states and the expense to go get it would not have been worth the gas. Also I could not tell exactly what I was getting.
When I first looked at it I was really excited. I had hopes of spending time restoring it. It has been gutted for the most part. The frig, stove, tub,sink and toilet are all in tact. Not sure what works yet.
Upon closer examination I found that the walls including the sink, tub and the toilet had been painted a sort of dull yellow. Carpet has been removed and the wood floor is exposed.
It has hail damage but no leaks. All the windows are intact.

I would like information on what I should do as far as remodeling/restoring.
I have read some blogs that indicate too much modern improvement can lower the value of the AS. I don't think I can find all the originate parts that it might require. Would it be better to just upgrade to make it comfortable to travel/camp in? I wish I would have known about the volunteer inspectors before hand.
This is all new to me and suggestions/info would be greatly appreciated.
cpastore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 09:58 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpastore View Post
Hello
I just purchased a 1972 31' Sovereign Land Yacht. The number on it is 5945. It has a Wally Byam Club sticker on it. I have been looking on and off for 7 years and found several that I could afford but they were in other states and the expense to go get it would not have been worth the gas. Also I could not tell exactly what I was getting.
When I first looked at it I was really excited. I had hopes of spending time restoring it. It has been gutted for the most part. The frig, stove, tub,sink and toilet are all in tact. Not sure what works yet.
Upon closer examination I found that the walls including the sink, tub and the toilet had been painted a sort of dull yellow. Carpet has been removed and the wood floor is exposed.
It has hail damage but no leaks. All the windows are intact.

I would like information on what I should do as far as remodeling/restoring.
I have read some blogs that indicate too much modern improvement can lower the value of the AS. I don't think I can find all the originate parts that it might require. Would it be better to just upgrade to make it comfortable to travel/camp in? I wish I would have known about the volunteer inspectors before hand.
This is all new to me and suggestions/info would be greatly appreciated.
You should make a list of whast you wish to do, and, "the costs."

The following will help you determine if you need to add those to the list.

Keep in mind torsion axles are weight sensitive, therefore since your trailer has been gutted, it will ride a little higher than when loaded. Another test is jack up one side, The tires should drop at least 3 inches. If not, then the rubber rods have solidified, which means the trailer will have a rough ride, which in turn causes more damage.

Gaskets etc, especially sewer vent pipe cover gaskets, may need replacing as well.

Check the condition of the fresh water and black water tanks. Fill them to capacity and look for leaks.

If your going to rehab the coach, the first thing you must do, is water proof it from rain.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 11:32 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
Monte Vista , Colorado
The info you sent is just what I wanted. A starting point. Thanks so much Andy.
cpastore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 04:54 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
We aren't worried about value of our AS at this point: our insurance agent won't even insure it until we get a new floor in! We're planning to keep her for a loooong time so we're going to make her comfortable for US and not worry about resale value. However, everyone has their own agenda, and if you want to resell in a few years and move up, then resale value is a definite consideration.
We're working on waterproofing right now, before we start anything else. Check the floor for soft spots: you may need to fix/replace parts. Check the window gaskets: ours were terrible, and leaked like a sieve. Have fun!
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 08:01 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
Hattiesburg , Ms
Send a message via AIM to gutsgolf Send a message via Skype™ to gutsgolf
We are going to start our remodel, got excited about building a fancy couch, then wife wanted a shower stall, which end first. Guess shower seems more technical. I resealed the stove exhaust cover and two vent covers, they had rusty screws in them. Is it just me, when I am up on a ladder looking down at her she is a round beauty. Keep in touch we can help each other.
Richard
gutsgolf is offline   Reply With Quote