Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Sovereign > 1970 - 1973 Sovereign
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-13-2006, 08:01 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1970 31' Sovereign
palm springs , California
1970 Sovereign on Ebay

Hi All
I just joined you all and got myself a Land Yacht (70 Sovereign 31ft)...its been fixed up alot and will be delivered to me soon...I got it on Ebay...My question is...How do i go about putting an awning on it? Also do you guys install sway bars or the equalizer thingys on these?
...My husband is concerned about maneuvering it into the campsite at the beach...Any suggestions? Something else we could install to make it easier to maneuver? Also...is there something I should look for that goes wrong in this model? I had heard something about the trailer possibly drooping from the rear bath?? Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated...Thanks
happydaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 08:20 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
The drooping is called "separation." Look at the lower belt line just above the bumper. There are threads here that discuss fixing this problem

Yes, you'll need an equalizer hitch. And possibly an anti-sway friction arm--depends on your tow vehicle. Many threads discuss hitches.

There are a number of vendors who claim to fit Airstreams, but go with ZipDee.

For easier maneuvering, the partner who's not driving (the person who's obstensibly directing) needs to give timely hand signals, remembering that the driver is looking in the mirror. Looking perplexed is not a satisfactory signal.

Backing a long trailer is easy--it's the short ones that can turn on you in a second. Just don't get headed down a narrow dead end road that requires backing into the busy street you just turned off of...
Old 04-13-2006, 08:28 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1975 31' Sovereign
Oxford , Mississippi
Welcome

Welcome to the board and congrads on your new trailer, I know it is an exciting time for you. Do read up on all the hitches and get everything, sway is a biggie. And dont forget the brake box another big one. after you have gotten all that done (enjoy) and know you are safe. Also get you a set of walkie-talkies they come in real handy when getting in a camping spot.

Becky
rebel beck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 11:44 PM   #4
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
The awning is not that difficult a job to install. You will need a helper or two to finnish the job. I suggest you contact http://www.zipdeeinc.com for more information. They are not cheap, but the are well built and the company stands behind them. Good luck and welcome to the forum.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 11:53 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1992 34' Limited
Falls Church , Virginia
Just ordered from ZipDee!

Hello all -

Just ordered some new awning straps. This is from a '92 trailer!

The young guy on the phone, when I described the awning fabric said "please hold a sec...." , there was a lady in the background, who he said knows EVERY ZipDee fabric EVER gave him the fabric #. The straps are in stock!!! Got 4 new straps - $81 or so shipping included.

Came with EXCELLENT instruction, with rivets included. Mounted in no time. Good to GO!

Can't say enough GOOD things about ZipDee, and given all the other great comments.... YOU CANNOT GO WRONG with a ZipDee awning or product. Entry price notwithstanding.

I have NO affiliation with ZipDee in ANY way.

My .02 cents

Axel
SilverToy is offline   Reply With Quote