Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-01-2009, 04:51 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2000 31' Excella
Currently Looking...
Maryville , Tennessee
Good deals on 34s vs 30s, pros and cons.

Been looking for three months for a 96 and up 30 ft. excella with dinette.

I am seeing lots of real nice 34s for decent prices and they seem very nice inside and out.

Are these 34s hard to pull and get in most nartional park campgrounds because these are lookin better to me every day.

Heck, I could get a 34 for just about what I am hoping to pay for a 30 but would I be stuck with a gas hog with no where to park it ?

I want to stick mostly to parks.

Finally found the one of my dreams a few days ago and it was priced 2 to 3 thousand too high and I found out it had been smoked in...........

I am VERY close to giving up on this AS hunt..........they just seem to be way too high and way too scarce.

Robbie R.
Robbie R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 05:11 PM   #2

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Greetings from the Florida Panhandle

Good question. I guess the bottom line is what you want.

A 34 does take a serious tow vehicle to carry it along the highway. You also have some higher maintenance costs in the areas of tires, brakes, and hubs. Also, some campsites might be either tricky or impossible. On the plus side, you have more room and greater comfort.

The 30 is probably more manageable, but not that much better. A 30 is still pretty heavy, and will need an appropriate tow vehicle.

Good luck in your decision.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 05:25 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
I don't think there is a clearly defined cutoff point, it is a continuum!

The longer you go the more you enjoy the space but the more restriction is imposed on sites you can get into!

When we sold our last trailer - non AS - I wanted to stay at the same length, 27' as I found it to be a great compromise, big enough for comfort during longer stays but short enough to get into most State / provincial parks with little problem.

When we moved to the AS, unfortunately, we could not find anything less than the Classic 30 (actually 31', bumper to ball) that had the right layout for us.

We don't have much experience with it yet, and I do think our Hnesley will allow us to back up at sharper angles, but even so, I thimk we will now be that much more restricted.

Would be moreso with a 34 footer.

On the other hand, it seems these days that we stay more at commercial parks than State parks, and the extra 4' is very nice to have! no doubt I would like another four feet even more!

On balance, I feel that for us, the extra space is worth the reduction in flexibility vis-a-vis campsites.

We presently have a TV that I think would handle a 34.

Good luck with your decision! I'm sure you'll adapt and enjoy it which ever way you go!

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 05:54 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

1994 25' Excella
union , Mississippi
34 vs 30

I have had them all. I started with a 28, then 34, then 25, and then a 22 ft safari. I now have a 19 bambi ccd and I like it the best. We stay in national parks and it is perfect. However the best mileage I ever got was pulling a 34 ft limited back from Ca. 15 to 16 but it was a diesel. they pull great because of the triple axle. Some old 30ft weight distubution was off and you had a lot of sway problems. I cannot remember which but call P&s trailer service in Helena Ohio and steve and Kevin can tell you.
whoopti3 is offline   Reply With Quote