Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Excella > 1981 - 1983 Excella
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-21-2020, 08:14 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1981 31' Excella Limited
Ojai , California
Question Power converter location?

Greetings to you all!

I have a 1981 Excella Limited 31' trailer which I have permanently installed in our orchard as a guest house. (side bath, rear twin beds). We've owned it for 5 yrs, and the power converter always made a buzzing sound from under the front gaucho. The keys to the battery boxes have never worked, and I would assume the batteries are very old and dead. The trailer remains on constant shore power 24/7. When the transformer/converter stopped buzzing all of the 12V circuits stopped working as well. Does anyone out there know best way to find the converter, and any other thoughts on troubleshooting this problem ?
Lee Prather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2020, 08:36 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
The converter is likely failed. I don't know how to access it, but generally not too difficult. I would definitely drill out the lock and remove the dead batteries. Either replace them or tape off the leads and go without. Once you find the converter you can do some diagnostics or just replace it. Lot's of online reviews of converters. Quiet, high quality ones are more expensive. If you replace the batteries, get a converter with a smart charge controller matched to the battery type. If you don't get batteries, get a converter that is tailored more as a power supply for use without batteries.
BayouBiker is offline   Reply With Quote