Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Excella > 1981 - 1983 Excella
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-24-2021, 08:01 AM   #81
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

At least when I looked into the gate valve assembly on our Classic:

The valve it's self is pretty standard and available from various sources. The little handle that screws on to the push rod is reasonably cheap ( and it falls off if the backer nut isn't snug ....). The push rods to go from the valve to the outside are crazy. They seem to be an
AS specific part and ... yikes ...

Why mention this? If it's just the handle on the push rod, you want to spend some quality time tracking down that generic handle. You do not want to buy the "combo" push rod and handle.

One of the big advantages of buying this stuff over the counter from somebody who *knows* what's what ..... you can work out that sort of stuff on the spot and save a bit of money. There's more to making a good dealer than just a salesman with a big smile.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 12:20 PM   #82
3 Rivet Member

1982 27' Excella
Harrisburg , Oregon
Bob,

Thanks for that nugget. I'll look for the handle. I remember the top of that gate valve shaft having a knob on it rather than being threaded. Hmmm... I wonder if that shaft threads into the blade gate thingy. Time to experiment.

Thanks,
Scott
skucera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2021, 10:27 PM   #83
3 Rivet Member

1982 27' Excella
Harrisburg , Oregon
I've been a little quiet in this thread, so I figured I would catch up with what I've been fixing in the last few months. I installed the replacement door latch, so now we can open the door from the inside. That's an important safety feature, clearly.

I also replaced the Everpure water filter housing, which required buying a lot of new adapters. The one that was leaking in the trailer had been put in by someone who preferred solid copper pipes instead of stainless steel water supply lines. The copper pipes were cracking here and there from vibration work hardening. Also, hard water deposits made getting the components apart very difficult, and there were lots of hard water deposits in the old filter housing itself. Well, with some help from the very helpful lady in the plumbing section of my local hardware store, I installed proper stainless steel hoses and the new filter housing is once again mounted to the wall under the sink.

The one drawback is that I had to disconnect the drains for the two kitchen sinks to get better access to do the work at the back of the under-sink cabinet, and I twisted one of the drains free from the sink, so I have to reseal that before I can fill the left basin with water to wash dishes. It's been a minor drip, soaked up with a towel under the sink, but I should really fix that soon.

I also still have to replace the break-away controller. I have no idea why I haven't replaced that yet, since I've towed the trailer several times without replacing that break-away gadget. Pure stupidity. I've got to do that tomorrow too, especially since it is only three wires and one screw.

Hmmm, what else did I do in four months since my last post? I bought new mattresses. I cleaned the thing from stem to stern inside, and it needs it all over again after a few trips. I also need to wash the outside again. I still haven't replaced the light bulbs in the control panel... I should do that too, once I figure out how to get those cardboard tubes off the bulbs out.

Scott
skucera is offline   Reply With Quote