RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 02-22-2021, 07:32 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
. . .
BTW isn't the street side "starboard" and the curb side "port?"
. . .
Oops you had it right . . . I was bass akwards . . . sorry . . .

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 09:52 AM   #22
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Rochester , WASHINGTON
Quote:
Originally Posted by skucera View Post
The bathroom held some surprises, some of which aren't even described in the owner's manual. I love the Milton Glaser tub surround. It's like 1974... OK, it might have been a little passé in 1982, but I enjoy it just the same.

There's a nice mirror on the back of one of the sliding doors. The fan works. The mirrors in above the sink fell out, but they're unbroken and are safely waiting in drawers for me to find some good 3M double-sided tape.

Oh, in the cabinet behind the toilet, below shelves that appear to be designed to hold rolls of toilet paper, at the bottom is a cloth bag secured with snaps that may have been a dirty laundry bag. The cloth bag is unsuitable for garbage or feminine sanitary products.

There's even a little toilet paper holder in the cabinet, under the sink. Very convenient, and out of sight when the door slides closed.

Well, that's enough for tonight.

Scott
You'll have a lot of fun customizing your new trailer!
Here's some advice that may not be agreed with, by purists.
Nothing wrong with keeping some things origional,if old trailer is not a total gut job.Like the funky vintage overhead airliner type carry on storage bins, that make the vintage Airstreams unique.Living in these older vintage Airstreams is like living in a private plane fuselage.Thats what they were designed after.
But I would immediately start tossing out as much original fabric type things, like the cloth bathroom bag you described.Especially any old carpet/ bed cushions/ couches/etc.
Throw it out the door ASAP
.Also, like the old curtains,old brittle plastic stuff too.Lets face it, a lot of that stuff wasn't great, brand new.
Especially in the PNW, the above old stuff is just a mold+ mildew manufacturing machine.
Once you throw out the easy stuff, move to old electrical sockets, wiring, junk original plumbing fixtures, etc etc .All that mechanical old stuff isn't like a fine wine, that improves with age.
You will make your life much easier immediately, as you arnt fighting old junky mechanical stuff.
Its exactly like buying a old cabin cruiser.
You want to see how big of a pile of above junk, you can make OUTSIDE the boat.Before the boat leaves the dock again.
All those old hoses/ valves/ electrical connections/ engine parts/ etc are going to do is fail,down the line.
Old 02-22-2021, 01:51 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Well said.

Re: mold and mildew . . . a copy and paste from the earlier thread . . . for continuity on the subject:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
. . .
For mold issues in your climate . . . recommend putting some Dampp-Chasers in all the hidden spaces. These are low-wattage "wands" which folks in New England use to keep closets "fresh" . . . and pianos more stable [so the wood does not absorb water/dry out as radically from the seasonal changes].

https://www.amazon.com/Dampp-Chaser-...s%2C158&sr=8-3

They come in various lengths [2-4'], and our local hardware store has always carried them. Shore power required.

Mentions in other posts here. [hot link in blue]

Happy trails.
[click on orange arrow above to go to that earlier thread]

These things work great!

Peter
Old 02-22-2021, 09:57 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member

1982 27' Excella
Harrisburg , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

Indeed, that charger looks old enough that it should be on the "replace" list. It's not so old that you need to swap it before you get to the floor repair.

Since you have some time to poke around the forum and read *lots* of threads .... take a look at the various Lithium battery threads. They are worth reading before you start replacing any part of the battery system. That's not to say you positively should go Lithium, simply that you need to make the decision ahead of spending money.

Looks like you will have plenty to do, regardless of the battery decision

Bob

OK, how do you know it's old? The new ones still for sale have exactly the same labels and case color. I haven't looked at the label closely enough to see if it has a production date on it or not.

I have been reading up on Lithium batteries and the inverters they require. I would love to add solar panels too, but I've got to get the trailer's maintenance needs caught up a bit before beginning major changes.

Hmmm... I've got to double-check that charger, though. Thanks for the recommendation.

Scott
skucera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 08:36 AM   #25
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
OK, how do you know it's old? The new ones still for sale have exactly the same labels and case color. I haven't looked at the label closely enough to see if it has a production date on it or not.

I have been reading up on Lithium batteries and the inverters they require. I would love to add solar panels too, but I've got to get the trailer's maintenance needs caught up a bit before beginning major changes.

Hmmm... I've got to double-check that charger, though. Thanks for the recommendation.

Scott
Hi

Age of that converter s a guess based on looking at the condition of the case. Without a production date stamped somewhere, you get into "better safe than sorry" territory.

Lithium can be as simple as replacing the converter / charger and then dropping in a couple of batteries. It also can be much more involved. The point is to read up and make a decision before you start replacing stuff.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 05:48 PM   #26
1 Rivet Member

1981 31' Excella II
Tucson , Arizona
Wow, it's in pretty good shape outside and in!
I have a 1981 Excella 31'. I've lived in it for 2 years in the same RV park. A few comments on the interior.
First, fyi, I blow a circuit if I operate the microwave while running the AC or portable heater.
Look in all the cupboards/storage areas inside and out for that port-side flip-out leaf leg. The previous owners of my Airy put various items in various locations (I found dry-cleaned extra gaucho pillow covers…). BTW, I use the pop-up table as my computer/work area – plenty of room for my chair in front of the sofa.
I don’t have that “residential light switch” in my below-gaucho-pillow storage area.
Sliding curtains: The curtains are attached, top and bottom, by straps that attach to the clips in the rail. Those straps tear/are-torn. From your photo of the radio and tape deck, it looks like some straps are torn. I’ve sewn some back together, and ‘super glued’ the others. That same rail with clips is in the bathtub. I’ve zip-tied (cut off the excess) a new shower curtain to those clips, rather than put in a new shower curtain rod - because the wall is curvy on the backside.
Kitchen: They are identical except that with my extra 4’ overall I have room for my toaster next to the microwave. Where’s your fridge?!
Bedroom: Identical. I’ve removed the mattress on one side, put down parkay, and made it, haha!, an entertainment center. I have Ikea shelves which hold the TV/monitor & the PC; and other shelves for DVDs, books, paper, electronics. My son and I kickback on the other twin (with back support cushions). I sleep on the sofa with a twin mattress (a full would fit) on top. I have an easy chair for sitting. But, I am stationary; Travelling would require tie-downs or some such.
Bathroom: My tub/shower does not slant (some of the extra footage I have?). What is that above the sink? That cloth laundry bag: mine was snapped into a cupboard behind the toilet. I washed it and love it (so nautical &#128521.
You’ve got a beauty!
LynneC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 11:16 PM   #27
2 Rivet Member

1982 27' Excella
Harrisburg , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynneC View Post
Wow, it's in pretty good shape outside and in!
I have a 1981 Excella 31'. I've lived in it for 2 years in the same RV park. A few comments on the interior. First, fyi, I blow a circuit if I operate the microwave while running the AC or portable heater.
Yeah, I've heard about that. Thanks for the reminder. It's an unfortunate consequence of having only a 30 Amp service inside the trailer. When we plug into shore power I'll have to remind my wife and son not to try to run the Microwave while the AC is on.

Quote:
Look in all the cupboards/storage areas inside and out for that port-side flip-out leaf leg. The previous owners of my Airy put various items in various locations (I found dry-cleaned extra gaucho pillow covers…). BTW, I use the pop-up table as my computer/work area – plenty of room for my chair in front of the sofa.
I haven't checked out every cubbyhole yet, but I think I've looked in everywhere that is conceivably large enough to stash half of a table in it. There are definitely some surprises still in store for me.

Quote:
I don’t have that “residential light switch” in my below-gaucho-pillow storage area.
Thanks for confirming the odd light switch isn't original. I'll have to trace the wires and see where they lead. The answer will present itself.

Quote:
Sliding curtains: The curtains are attached, top and bottom, by straps that attach to the clips in the rail. Those straps tear/are-torn. From your photo of the radio and tape deck, it looks like some straps are torn. I’ve sewn some back together, and ‘super glued’ the others. That same rail with clips is in the bathtub. I’ve zip-tied (cut off the excess) a new shower curtain to those clips, rather than put in a new shower curtain rod - because the wall is curvy on the backside.
My extra loops are from where the little plastic clips have broken. Anyone know where I can find more?

The tambour door on the stereo set absolutely will not budge. I've got to figure out how to disassemble it and repair it, because it is the only tambour door that doesn't work. I saw part of a YouTube video on repairing a tambour door, so I'll have to find it again and watch it carefully.

Luckily, the original shower curtain and window curtains seem to be completely intact... or seem to be since I haven't actually extended the shower curtain yet.

Quote:
Kitchen: They are identical except that with my extra 4’ overall I have room for my toaster next to the microwave. Where’s your fridge?!
Ah, the fridge is just to the side of the microwave. It may not be obvious, because it has wood formica facings that are almost the same colors as the cabinets.

Quote:
Bedroom: Identical. I’ve removed the mattress on one side, put down parkay, and made it, haha!, an entertainment center. I have Ikea shelves which hold the TV/monitor & the PC; and other shelves for DVDs, books, paper, electronics. My son and I kickback on the other twin (with back support cushions). I sleep on the sofa with a twin mattress (a full would fit) on top. I have an easy chair for sitting. But, I am stationary; Travelling would require tie-downs or some such.
What a cool idea! We need both our beds if only because one bed isn't wide enough for both my wife and I. I'd love to see pictures of your entertainment center, if you have a thread with pictures somewhere.

Quote:
Bathroom: My tub/shower does not slant (some of the extra footage I have?). What is that above the sink? That cloth laundry bag: mine was snapped into a cupboard behind the toilet. I washed it and love it (so nautical &#128521.
You’ve got a beauty!
Thank you for the compliment. I hope to make it clean soon too, but next week I have the local Airstream dealer scheduled to test the propane systems for function and safety. I've also got to repack the bearings, and replace the breakaway brake module, and a long list of little fixes. And that starts this weekend.

Thank you also for the detailed reply.

Scott
Old 02-28-2021, 10:59 AM   #28
Lookin' to Boondock

1975 27' Overlander
Winnipeg , Manitoba
Send a message via MSN to 03enduro
I had a residential type switch added in my ‘75. It was installed to disconnect the univolt, probably because of the noise it made while connected.
03enduro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 11:05 AM   #29
Lookin' to Boondock

1975 27' Overlander
Winnipeg , Manitoba
Quote:
Originally Posted by B. Cole View Post
Good looking vintage aluminium!
You are a great example of towing with the correct tow vehicle, for fellow Airstreamers, some brand new to combination vehicles.
The Airstream can't drive the tow vehicle.
Ideally, everyone should be towing their bumper pull Airstream with a 1 Ton truck,or larger ( no special hitch needed) ,that heavy truck eliminates Airstream sway.
You've also properly chocked the tires.Safety first!
As for the Left Coast , wet climate mold, open the windows on a nice kinda dry/ breezy day, and spray problem areas with Tilex Mold+ Mildew cleaner.It works great for boats / RVs in damp conditions.
Work quickly from back to front, ( after you have identified problem areas in advance) ,then exit and leave it work, for a day.
Even brand new Airstreams have their plus+ minuses, (by design).
Yours probably leaks less than some of these brand new ones!
I pull my 27’ with my diesel Grand Cherokee just fine TYVM. I’d suggest that if you suffer from an inability to pull a trailer without issues like sway, you consider how it’s loaded. I’ve pulled through California, through the Donner Pass, and all through the central US, as well as our own poorly maintained and winding “Canadian Shield “ highways without having a bit of sway, nor a lack of power.
Old 02-28-2021, 02:37 PM   #30
Just RVing

2009 30' Classic
Redmond , Oregon
Now have possession of our new trailer

Recommend you take a look at the date on the tires. Even though they may look good and have a lot of tread, they may be old enough that they need to be replaced. I didn't think to look on our 1st AS, and ended up blowing a tire on I-5 in California. Resulted in substantial damage to trailer.
Just RVing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 03:23 PM   #31
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Rochester , WASHINGTON
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03enduro View Post
I pull my 27’ with my diesel Grand Cherokee just fine TYVM. I’d suggest that if you suffer from an inability to pull a trailer without issues like sway, you consider how it’s loaded. I’ve pulled through California, through the Donner Pass, and all through the central US, as well as our own poorly maintained and winding “Canadian Shield “ highways without having a bit of sway, nor a lack of power.
That was for the OP, but what year " Monster Jeep" do you have?
Old 02-28-2021, 06:10 PM   #32
Lookin' to Boondock

1975 27' Overlander
Winnipeg , Manitoba
2007 with the Mercedes diesel. I’m still well below the maximum trailer weight and GVW.
Old 02-28-2021, 09:35 PM   #33
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Looks like you found yourself a good one.

I used to have an 85 model with the aircraft style upper cabinets. They were really light weight and I miss that feature (compared to the heavy oak doors in our 95 34’).

If you need a new converter I highly recommend Progressive Dynamics.

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 09:47 PM   #34
2 Rivet Member

1982 27' Excella
Harrisburg , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03enduro View Post
I had a residential type switch added in my ‘75. It was installed to disconnect the univolt, probably because of the noise it made while connected.
I had another look at that residential light switch today, and found a label tape above it on the wall that says "UP OFF DOWN ON," which seems consistent with your univolt disconnect switch. Odd choice of orienting that switch, since most houses have "ON" in the up position, so we've perhaps got an odd mental association in the owner's mind with up being the desired result, so the owner thought that turning off a feature was the positive result to associate with the switch being flipped up. Makes me wonder if the original owner was a software engineer. (OK, bad joke, but I've had many discussions about strange negative controls in software I test at work over many years.)

Now, I wonder if my switch is still connected to the newer battery charger... I'll have to test that theory later. If it's not connected to anything, I'll pull it out.

Thanks,
Scott
Old 02-28-2021, 10:20 PM   #35
2 Rivet Member

1982 27' Excella
Harrisburg , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just RVing View Post
Recommend you take a look at the date on the tires. Even though they may look good and have a lot of tread, they may be old enough that they need to be replaced. I didn't think to look on our 1st AS, and ended up blowing a tire on I-5 in California. Resulted in substantial damage to trailer.
I looked for a production code, but I couldn't find any. The tires seem to be newer, with an odd name like "Trailer King" or something like that. The rubber looks fairly fresh, too.

Actually, I have to check the bearings too. I have a feeling this trailer sat for a very long time, perhaps unused for years.

Why, you ask? Well, I found a receipt for two new Group 24 deep cycle batteries last October from an owner before the guy who sold the trailer to me, so they may have been bought to "sex up" the trailer before selling it to the guy I bought it from. Also, the trailer is moldy, which can happen in a single winter without heat, but it seems worse than that. When I grew up we had lots of campers in friends' driveways, and we'd play in them as kids, or just hang out in them as teenagers, and they weren't this moldy and skanky as this trailer. I think this trailer perhaps sat unused for several years.

So, if the brakes and bearings have sat unused for years, I want to go through them for safety's sake.

Scott
Old 02-28-2021, 10:51 PM   #36
2 Rivet Member

1982 27' Excella
Harrisburg , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by TouringDan View Post
Looks like you found yourself a good one.

I used to have an 85 model with the aircraft style upper cabinets. They were really light weight and I miss that feature (compared to the heavy oak doors in our 95 34’).

If you need a new converter I highly recommend Progressive Dynamics.

Dan
Thanks, Dan, for the recommendation. I'll look into Progressive Dynamics.

I heard that the newer trailers are progressively heavier as time goes on, so your oak cabinets are that much heavier, eh? Good to know that.

I originally started looking at AS trailers from the Sixties and Seventies because they were light enough to be towed by our old Land Rover, but I realized that the trailers I was looking at would be right at the extreme limit of what the Discovery could tow, and more importantly right at the tongue weight limit, so I decided to buy a truck to tow instead. Buying an F-350 opened up a larger possibilities, and then I found this trailer.

Thanks again for the tip on the charger.

Scott
Old 02-28-2021, 11:46 PM   #37
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Now have possession of our new trailer

Quote:
Thanks, Dan, for the recommendation. I'll look into Progressive Dynamics.

I heard that the newer trailers are progressively heavier as time goes on, so your oak cabinets are that much heavier, eh? Good to know that.

I originally started looking at AS trailers from the Sixties and Seventies because they were light enough to be towed by our old Land Rover, but I realized that the trailers I was looking at would be right at the extreme limit of what the Discovery could tow, and more importantly right at the tongue weight limit, so I decided to buy a truck to tow instead. Buying an F-350 opened up a larger possibilities, and then I found this trailer.

Thanks again for the tip on the charger.

Scott

Scott

Here is the PD9245C 45 amp converter I installed 9 years ago. No problems at all.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2117.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	325.8 KB
ID:	389616
I replaced it recently when I installed lithium batteries since they have a different charging profile. Notice how compact and light weight it is. It is also 45 amp (PD9145AL). Made in Michigan, my home state.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6815.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	294.0 KB
ID:	389617

Now I do like the oak cabinets because they are a strong wood, but also heavy. Of course our 95 34’ also has lots of particle board in it for furniture construction. Of course, it is also heavy but certainly not strong. No problem with the weight cuz I have 6 tires. Now the one ton TV you have would be nice for towing that 34’.

Dan
Old 03-01-2021, 02:56 AM   #38
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Quote:
I looked for a production code, but I couldn't find any. The tires seem to be newer, with an odd name like "Trailer King" or something like that. The rubber looks fairly fresh, too.
. . .
. . . Also, the trailer is moldy, which can happen in a single winter without heat, but it seems worse than that.
. . .
Maybe the DOT-required-after-2000 production codes are hidden on the backs of the tires [as installed]?

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiret....jsp?techid=11

Are the Trailer King tires considered to be "[C-country] Bombs?" . . . . . . [hot link in blue]

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=rv+tires+t...&t=ffab&ia=web
http://www.trailerkingtires.com/

What model tire is it, and what is the country of mfg.?

About that mold . . . have you plugged in your new Dampp-Chasers yet? These things work wonders IMO.

Happy Trails.

Peter
Old 03-01-2021, 08:29 AM   #39
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Hilltop Lakes , Texas
Do your homework on that furnace. There are some recalls on the older ones for carbon monoxide issues. A local repair guy might not be aware of those.
mimiandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 12:56 PM   #40
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimiandrews View Post
Do your homework on that furnace. There are some recalls on the older ones for carbon monoxide issues. A local repair guy might not be aware of those.

I was a home inspector for years. The guy that taught me was extremely knowledgeable. He said he could always find a pin hole leak in the heat exchanger in a 20 year old furnace. It would be best to install a new furnace with hopefully a more efficient fan for boondocking. I installed a new furnace in our 66 Tradewind. We went from a furnace that required 6.5 amps to one that requires only 1.8 amps.

Dan