Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Excella > 1981 - 1983 Excella
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-20-2021, 08:18 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1982 27' Excella
Harrisburg , Oregon
Question How to get the information center out of the interior end cap?

I have to replace several burnt-outlight bulbs in my information center. I've stared at the thing, trying to figure out the best way to remove it from the fiberglass interior end cap, and I see several oddly angled pop-rivets. What is the best way to remove this thing to change those light bulbs? Has anyone done it? I don't want to remove a bunch of rivets only to find that they were there for another purpose, and I didn't need to remove them at all.

Thanks,
Scott
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Eighties Airstream control panel wiring diagram.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	81.3 KB
ID:	395866  
skucera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 03:41 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1983 31' Excella
Choctaw , Oklahoma
Mine just pops out. It is in there good. Metal clips hold it on. Get something behind it and go easy. After have taken it off and on a few times it will come off easier.
Old 06-09-2021, 10:16 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1982 27' Excella
Harrisburg , Oregon
I don't know why I never just try that. I'll give it a try tonight after work.

Thanks,
Scott
Old 06-22-2021, 08:20 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1982 27' Excella
Harrisburg , Oregon
I never followed up, but it did just pull out. There are six spring clips, one at each end and two each on the top and bottom. It sounds like it is going to break the plastic end cap as it comes out, but the cap was undamaged.

For those who may read this thread later, the control center does not have an enclosure around it, and there are wires hanging down between the main wiring bundle and each of the switches and lights. The PCB looks like late-1960's tech, and the light bulbs are enclosed in small cardboard tubes. There is no multi-plug to quickly disconnect the whole unit to take it to a workbench to do maintenance. I'm not looking forward to disconnecting it, since I'll have to mark every wire and every connector so I can put them back on correctly.

I'll put some photos up when I take if off the wall to change the light bulbs. It's just been too hot this weekend to work on the trailer after work.

Scott
Old 08-05-2021, 10:14 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1983 31' Excella
Choctaw , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by skucera View Post
I never followed up, but it did just pull out. There are six spring clips, one at each end and two each on the top and bottom. It sounds like it is going to break the plastic end cap as it comes out, but the cap was undamaged.

For those who may read this thread later, the control center does not have an enclosure around it, and there are wires hanging down between the main wiring bundle and each of the switches and lights. The PCB looks like late-1960's tech, and the light bulbs are enclosed in small cardboard tubes. There is no multi-plug to quickly disconnect the whole unit to take it to a workbench to do maintenance. I'm not looking forward to disconnecting it, since I'll have to mark every wire and every connector so I can put them back on correctly.

I'll put some photos up when I take if off the wall to change the light bulbs. It's just been too hot this weekend to work on the trailer after work.

Scott
Scott I have the manuals on that for the wiring if you need to see it buddy.
Old 08-05-2021, 10:15 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1983 31' Excella
Choctaw , Oklahoma
I see you have them already. I do have both manuals for the trailer if you ever need anything let me know.
Old 08-06-2021, 10:21 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1982 27' Excella
Harrisburg , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okiegent View Post
I see you have them already. I do have both manuals for the trailer if you ever need anything let me know.
That’s a gracious offer! I’ll take anything I can get. I have only a schematic for that panel, but no manual for troubleshooting and repair. Please point me to them. 🤓

Thanks,
Scott
Old 08-28-2021, 08:09 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1982 27' Excella
Harrisburg , Oregon
It's been several weeks since I mentioned the control panel, or control center, or whatever it is called. When I got it out of the wall I was disappointed to see that the light bulbs don't work because the light sockets are rusted. There's no vapor barrier between the insulation blanket and the boards in this unit, and a few decades in Oregon's rainy winters and springs did their magic.

Here are some pictures of the back of my control center.

There is heavy rust on the light sockets. There is also light rust on the securing posts and nuts, as well as the brackets that hold some of the lights. The cardboard tubes still look good, though.

I'm waiting for a little extra time in the office to have one of my electrical engineers have a look at this vintage setup. He'll have some good advice for cleaning it up and perhaps replacing the bulb sockets with modern LED's. Trouble is that we've been pretty busy, and with this fourth wave of COVID our office isn't being opened up again for non-work activities just yet. Too bad, because we've got good soldering stations with desoldering machines and good lighting and ventilation, far better than what I could hope to replicate in my own garage.

Scott
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_8237.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	260.5 KB
ID:	402899   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8238.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	282.3 KB
ID:	402900  

Name:	IMG_8239.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	253.6 KB
ID:	402901   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8240.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	272.2 KB
ID:	402902  

Old 12-17-2021, 06:32 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
1981 28' Airstream 280
Lino Lakes , MN
Thanks for helping me decide.

I am completely gutting my 1981 Excella 280. I am trying to keep as much of the 80's look as I can. I will be replacing the three tanks. I was considering creating a new modern control panel near the door by the fridge. This would include analog tank sensors instead of the 4 lights. I really liked the look of the original control panel. But after seeing the back of your panel I'm going all new by the fridge.
Schreins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2021, 09:28 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

1982 27' Excella
Harrisburg , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schreins View Post
I am completely gutting my 1981 Excella 280. I am trying to keep as much of the 80's look as I can. I will be replacing the three tanks. I was considering creating a new modern control panel near the door by the fridge. This would include analog tank sensors instead of the 4 lights. I really liked the look of the original control panel. But after seeing the back of your panel I'm going all new by the fridge.
I totally understand! Actually, replacing the bulb holders will be one of my little projects over Christmas break. It should be a lot simpler than engineering an analog solution from a bunch of sensor kits and running new wiring to a new location by the door.

Good luck, and please put up a thread with pictures while you're doing it. I'm curious to see the renovation of any older Airstream.

Scott