Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-20-2021, 08:18 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1982 27' Excella
Harrisburg , Oregon
Question How to get the information center out of the interior end cap?

I have to replace several burnt-outlight bulbs in my information center. I've stared at the thing, trying to figure out the best way to remove it from the fiberglass interior end cap, and I see several oddly angled pop-rivets. What is the best way to remove this thing to change those light bulbs? Has anyone done it? I don't want to remove a bunch of rivets only to find that they were there for another purpose, and I didn't need to remove them at all.

Thanks,
Scott
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Eighties Airstream control panel wiring diagram.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	81.3 KB
ID:	395866  
skucera is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 03:41 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1983 31' Excella
Choctaw , Oklahoma
Mine just pops out. It is in there good. Metal clips hold it on. Get something behind it and go easy. After have taken it off and on a few times it will come off easier.
Old 06-09-2021, 10:16 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1982 27' Excella
Harrisburg , Oregon
I don't know why I never just try that. I'll give it a try tonight after work.

Thanks,
Scott
Old 06-22-2021, 08:20 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1982 27' Excella
Harrisburg , Oregon
I never followed up, but it did just pull out. There are six spring clips, one at each end and two each on the top and bottom. It sounds like it is going to break the plastic end cap as it comes out, but the cap was undamaged.

For those who may read this thread later, the control center does not have an enclosure around it, and there are wires hanging down between the main wiring bundle and each of the switches and lights. The PCB looks like late-1960's tech, and the light bulbs are enclosed in small cardboard tubes. There is no multi-plug to quickly disconnect the whole unit to take it to a workbench to do maintenance. I'm not looking forward to disconnecting it, since I'll have to mark every wire and every connector so I can put them back on correctly.

I'll put some photos up when I take if off the wall to change the light bulbs. It's just been too hot this weekend to work on the trailer after work.

Scott