Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Excella > 1981 - 1983 Excella
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-25-2002, 10:22 AM   #1
Cat
4 Rivet Member

Mukilteo , Washington
Send a message via Yahoo to Cat
'81 Excella

John...
I just went on the Forum that is supposed to list every model on it...and under "Excella" I see yours. I've belong on this Website for a couple of months now... When will mine be on there?
............Cat
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bear.jpg
Views:	841
Size:	44.4 KB
ID:	198  
Old 05-26-2002, 10:30 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1983 27' Excella
Airstreamville , Kansas
Cat,
In the Excella forum the years currently listed are for 81-83, you can list your '81 there. More years & models will be added as needed.

John
83Excella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2002, 01:16 AM   #3
Cat
4 Rivet Member

Mukilteo , Washington
BEAR's Update

John...under "Personal Replies"...I read your post to me asking for photos and descriptions of remodeling I'm doing to Bear....I'm not sure just WHERE to do this...Is this the Forum here? Or should it be somewhere else...?

Could you reply here and tell me... I really am sorry to be so much trouble...

I just responded to your 'personal' email to me there...and didn't even know you'd sent it until I went on there tonight... so, maybe you won't see this 'post' for a while either.

I was just telling "CatStream" on that Forum, that I'm almost done with the painting on the inside panel of my Entrance Door...and will be posting the photos soon of it. And other things... The other thing I'm working on right now...is the TOP of the 'credenza'...the wiring of the stereo components into the credenza, and the Re-attachment of the new (fold-out) tables in the Salon. They (the tables) are all new (1" MDF board), with new formica (burgandy), and 1-1/4" Aluminum T-Trim on the edges.... Just GORGEOUS!!!

I'm also silking the bedroom, and am building a 'sit-down' (make-up) vanity in the built in dresser that was stock. I got a "Sabre Saw" (Jig-Saw), and I've cut a hole in the top of it, and I'm building a box that attaches under the hole; I've cut out (sacrificed) 2 little drawers and 2 doors, to make a "KNEE HOLE"...(MY CHOICE!)...and I'm installing (with a Piano Hinge) a "flip-out" shelf that will cover that hole when not used, and when I need to make up my FACE!! ,,I'll flip the 'lid' out and the hole will open up to have a couple of plastic organizers in the hole for make-up (ONLY a WOMAN could possibly appreciate the value of this)...It is all the perfect height for me when I'll sit at this VERY broad and CUSHY ottoman I'm using there. (for my very broad & cushy BUM)..
I also removed the doors of the side cupboard (which were made accessible to the bath area...and I turned them around to be accessible to the vanity! (for hair appliances, etc.) There is just enough room in there for the single bed (at an angle), and this dresser/vanity/ottoman...and a tiny bit of floor space.
BEATS having to bang your head to get in and out of bed the way it was before!
........Ok...enuff for now... Photos will be by mid September...promise. I can't do it before then,,,because I'm going to California to visit my kids.
...........Cat
Old 08-11-2002, 06:27 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1983 27' Excella
Airstreamville , Kansas
Cat,
You can attach your photo's and put all your updates here and your no bother at all so dont even think about it about it. Ask whatever question you need answered. Are you taking Bear with you to Ca.? looking forward to seeing it when your done.

John
Old 08-13-2002, 12:06 AM   #5
Cat
4 Rivet Member

Mukilteo , Washington
Photos of BEAR

Thanx John...that was very nice of you to say that...
A 1992 Excella 500 parked near my house today...(27 feet I t hink)..and I gave the owner a tour of BEAR (with tools & stuff to boot),,,and he was very impressed...so it's going to be worth it. He was saying he'd trade all the wood in his for the 'vintage' tambour and vinyl trim in mine. I do like it...and now I have the Aluminum T-trim installed where there used to be Vinyl T-Trim... He was very impressed with it...It is very cool. I also noticed ( remarked) that he has custom fitted sink covers...EXACTLY like the ones I had made for my sink(s)...
Does anyone know where this started with Airstream? (I guess I should do a separate thread, so this question is noticed, eh?)

Anyway...He said, "stop holding back...just get a tow-rig and GO!!" ...and he waved his hand as if to give me permission! <smile> I should have said "Write the check!"

Thanx again John... I'm excited to do this anyway...
.........Cat
Old 08-13-2002, 12:52 AM   #6
Cat
4 Rivet Member

Mukilteo , Washington
Custom Sink Covers

I just posted the question about these on the "Parts" Thread...and said "Yes" to doing a "POLL"...

I don't know if that was the right thing to do...but I'd just like to find out the answer.
Old 08-13-2002, 12:54 AM   #7
Cat
4 Rivet Member

Mukilteo , Washington
Vintage Classification?

John...what's the year Airstreams become Vintage?
.......Cat
Old 08-13-2002, 09:30 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1983 27' Excella
Airstreamville , Kansas
What year vintage?

According to the Vintage Airstream Club (VAC) an Airstream becomes vintage when it is 25 years or older. Also, the poll button is when you want to poll a question or such you can probably go back and edit if you wish.

John
Old 02-25-2004, 10:44 PM   #9
Cat
4 Rivet Member

Mukilteo , Washington
Suburban Furnance Problem

Hi John,
It's been awhile..
& "Hi" to anyone else who's joined us.

I COULDN'T FIND A THREAD ON 1981 (OR 1983) EXCELLA 500s.
so, I've started tHis one.
As is usual, when it rains it pours. I also need a new Starter on my car...and one of my sewing machines (my business) needs $180 in repairs & overhaul. (SEE WHAT I MEAN?)

What happens is this:
It starts up (ignites) and 10 to 30 seconds later, it dies. STOP!
It has been ascertained that it is due to the main "Mother Board" ("Circuit Board")...
I went to my friendly local RV dealer, and they gave me parts numbers...and costs...yikes!!!!
Then I called our Forum friend, Andy, who told me basically that parts obtained cheaper are not always the best (who knew?). (In automobile 'speak' we call it "AFTER-MARKET PARTS')
....Usually not a good deal. Like Andy said, you can save a few bucks at the get-go---by buying an 'off-brand', but later be forced to spend BEAUCEAUX bucks later because the cheaper one didn't properly fit/work right with the 'stock parts'. (Should be no surprise.)
(THIS IS WELL KNOWN IN THE AUTO INDUSTRY)

I also got good advice from Andy, that taking the furnace apart (the "S" curve---between the fan and the combustion chamber---and giving it a little shake as it's removed (gently) can shake out close to a whole CUP of rust &/or other CR___ that's gotten into the chamber...which can reduce the efficiency of the furnace (to have the combustion chamber's volume so reduced). He also suggests I do this prior to installing a new circuit board & he says that my '83 (shhhhhhhhh! it's 'really' an '81..right?) is really worth repairing,,,since the original parts & appliances are so well-made that they are worth keeping, rather than replacing.
So, here's what my plan is:
1. Get a space heater to keep Bear warm while the furnace is down.(*see below for question.);
2. Pull the furnace OUT ("S" curve first); the 'mother board' is already out; the 'ignitor plate (with elemments) is also out---and the gasket is being ordered and replaced (after the back of the plate has been thoroughly cleaned with 'gasoline');
3. Thoroughly clean the whole furnace...with gasoline & a toothbrush...and reassemble;
4. Replace the main "circuit board" (Mother Board);
5. Replace the Ignitor plate with new gasket;
6. Put the whole furnace back together and start up.

DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY OTHER 'WORDS OF WISDOM' TO IMPART TO ME??? (to
give me more advise....?)
DOES ANYONE HAVE A MAIN "SUBURBAN" CIRCUIT BOARD FOR SALE?? I'd actually rather buy a brand new one ($143.00 + shipping)...but I've heard of those who have either totalled their A/S, or are parting them out for one reason or another...and I'd purchase one that was a Suburban that was in good working order if the price was low enough.

ANY SUGGESTIONS ON A GOOD SPACE-HEATER TO PURCHASE? I DON'T MIND SPENDING A GOODLY AMOUNT ($70 to $100)...AS LONG AS IT'S ONE I CAN USE AGAIN AND AGAIN---TO SUPPLEMENT THE PROPANE. (I do want to buy a space heater that is ELECTRIC.)

I will apppreciate all advice and will be very grateful for any offers to sell a 'second-hand' part mentioned above (the circuit board).

This is a long way from the simple subject you started this thread for eh? John...? But, since this is on a 1983 Excella...I had ot put it out here too.
Thanx guys.
Old 11-13-2017, 07:34 AM   #10

1981 27' Excella Limited
Mount Airy , MD
I am new to this site and I have a 81 excella that I am restoring. I have searched online for a digital copy of the manual for this year and cannot seem to find one. Anyone have any ideas of where to look?
thanks,
John in Maryland
Woodeye53200 is offline   Reply With Quote