Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Ambassador > 1966 - 1969 Ambassador
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-15-2012, 01:53 PM   #41
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
wheel wells

So, my wheel wells were not as bad as I thought. They were mostly rusted out at the front and back with some tears. With some patching and banging a was able to get them usable. I had to fix the front and back of both.

I then sprayed them with a rubberized spray (Yep the stuff you see on tv) got it at wally world.

Going back to get another can to spray the whole inside of the fenders. This will waterproof them and help with sound. The stuff is not that bad really, you can stop laughing it's not..

The green paint is a rust killing paint i had. Didn't want to wait 2 days for Por15 to dry.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1593.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	462.3 KB
ID:	161089   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1595.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	426.5 KB
ID:	161090  

Name:	IMG_1596.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	229.2 KB
ID:	161091  

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 02:34 PM   #42
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Currently Looking...
Jupiter , Florida
I've heard of people fogging water mist onto POR-15 AFTER the carrier solvents have evaporated to key the catalyst reaction.. . POR-15 says no water under or in the paint, and brag exposure to water only makes it harder. But you probably don't want to hear that nonsense right up until the kiddos start finger painting & making collages with sticks, lizards and leaves in it.
Old 06-15-2012, 02:47 PM   #43
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
Yep, already had to get the solvent out to get some off the kids hands, I guess when someone says; "don't touch it won't come off" it means to them TOUCH IT!! TOUCH IT!!

For some reason my wife didn't think it was funny one of the twins had a black finger. Didn't catch it in time I figure she matches daddy.

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
Old 06-15-2012, 08:26 PM   #44
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
my wife picked up some c-chanel that I had made to replace some of the really bad stuff. The old stuff is on the top. the new stuff underneath.

Had a local welding shop that specialize in aluminum and stainless steel fab it up. Most of the coast was labor. They are going to fix and weld my door frame when I get the trail back together.

If anyone in western Co is looking to get stuff done WelFelt in Delta is the place to get Aluminum work done.

Really nice folks, they got it done at the end of the day and left it outside for my wife to pick it up.

The owner said to come in whenever to pay for it. nice guy.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1600.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	264.3 KB
ID:	161120  

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
Old 06-17-2012, 09:19 PM   #45
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
Yesterday I started putting down the new sub floor. I used some flat finish, self tapping metals screws. I used these rather than nuts and bolts for two reasons.

1. easier to use.
2. A few extra over the bolts and there is no way they are coming out.

I will be putting nuts and bolts in the end of the side supports where the c-chanel connects to the floor though. Mostly because the holes are already there.

Once the floor was in I flipped the frame, which should be easy, but with the winds today I had to wait till it died down some... that thing was a sail once it was on it's side. Once I had it over I started putting the insulation in.

I'm using 2" blue foam. It has a R value of 10 and doesn't absorb water. I have used it to cover my endless pool for two years. sitting on the water. it has not retained any water.. So I figured it would work under the floor..

I am putting it on with screws and washers. Pretty much won't budge once a few screws are in it with a big washer on the top.

After I cut my hay first thing in the morning I will finish the Insulation and put the belly skin on.. So dang hot here my hay is starting to die. Usually don't cut it for 2 more weeks. This heat also sucks to work in.....

Also rewired, or put the wiring back in before I put the floor on.

I had a red wire running up to the hitch but wasn't connected to anything. I'm guessing it must be for a power jack. I put it back just in case I ever want one.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1601.jpg
Views:	559
Size:	277.1 KB
ID:	161259   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1605.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	465.7 KB
ID:	161260  

Name:	IMG_1604.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	450.7 KB
ID:	161261   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1608.jpg
Views:	285
Size:	274.7 KB
ID:	161262  

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
Old 06-17-2012, 10:28 PM   #46
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Wickenburg , Arizona
Good grief man, when do you find time to milk the cows & slop the hogs?
Old 06-17-2012, 10:50 PM   #47
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel1 View Post
Good grief man, when do you find time to milk the cows & slop the hogs?
No hogs yet, But my daughter wants them for 4-H next year. So that means I'm going to have to build a pig pen next spring. Thank goodness 4-H projects only go from April to August. Except her rabbits, horses, and chickens which are year round projects for me more than her.

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
Old 06-18-2012, 09:14 PM   #48
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
Got all the insulation on the floor today. Here is a picture of how I am attaching them. It's just a screw through a washer, but You can't pull the insulation off once it's attached.

I started to get the belly pan put back on. But it has been hacked up and will need some patching, going to take longer than I thought. Got the area cut out where my fresh water tank is going to go. Will add some flashing when the tank is in. Still waiting for it..

Still really hot today. suppose to get in the high 90's thursday and friday. We live at 7,000 ft, it's not suppose to be this hot in June.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1611.jpg
Views:	278
Size:	373.6 KB
ID:	161341   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1609.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	268.8 KB
ID:	161342  

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
Old 06-19-2012, 07:33 PM   #49
2 Rivet Member

1971 25' Tradewind
Tucson , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by purman
Got all the insulation on the floor today. Here is a picture of how I am attaching them. It's just a screw through a washer, but You can't pull the insulation off once it's attached.

I started to get the belly pan put back on. But it has been hacked up and will need some patching, going to take longer than I thought. Got the area cut out where my fresh water tank is going to go. Will add some flashing when the tank is in. Still waiting for it..

Still really hot today. suppose to get in the high 90's thursday and friday. We live at 7,000 ft, it's not suppose to be this hot in June.
What kind of insulation are you using? Is it just screwed into the plywood? Are you using adhesive? What about your plumbing and wiring? Ive been following your progress religously and I dont recall you putting anything into the sub-floor.

Thank you,

Zona
zonacpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 12:05 AM   #50
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
I just used 2" closed cell foam, mine is blue, got it from Ace Hardware 4x8 sheets. I cut it with a jig saw and cordless circular saw. Pretty easy.

Yep all I did was screw it to the floor using 2 1/2" deck screws through a washing (look at post #48) It went into the wood flooring about 3/8-1/2 inch. But I couldn't pull the foam of the bottom even when I used 2 screws to hold a piece down. Most glues will just eat the foam up. They also take a while to dry, and if you ever need to take it off are a pain.

As for the wiring, I ran the Original back down the inside of the frame where it originally was. down the drivers side. I rerouted the brake lines along the back of the axels instead of under the belly pan, mostly for convenience.

Also where the wires come up into the AS they went over the frame rail, buy cutting a hole in the subfloor over the frame. I ran them in a housing under the frame rail and the put the belly pan over them. I don't go 4 wheeling so not worried about something taking them out.

I had moved my batteries up front and ran the cable for that inside. But since I had it apart I ran it down the inside of the curb frame rail. there where holes there for it already. It goes all the way to the back where the inverter is.

As for the plumbing That I will run inside the trailer. That way when camping in freezing temps the water won't freeze. And if there ever is a leak I can get to it.

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
Old 06-21-2012, 11:13 AM   #51
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
As you can see in the pic. Someone put the jack stands on the propane line.
Now it doesn't leak, but I think I will shorten it just past the crimps. Then I just need a longer rubber line to get to the tanks. Will look today for one. Once I get this done and the rear jack levelers on It's time to flip it back over.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1623.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	259.6 KB
ID:	161488  

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
Old 06-21-2012, 01:07 PM   #52
Rivet Master

1959 17' Pacer
Long Beach , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by purman View Post
As you can see in the pic. Someone put the jack stands on the propane line.
Now it doesn't leak, but I think I will shorten it just past the crimps. Then I just need a longer rubber line to get to the tanks. Will look today for one. Once I get this done and the rear jack levelers on It's time to flip it back over.
Make sure to install the propane line brackets BEFORE you put water tanks in there....

I probably don't have to tell you that. I keep forgetting not everyone is as dumb as me.

1959 Pacer 18' Renovation - Knight in Shining Armor

Our Adventure Blog - Documenting our backpacking, hiking, camping, and Airstreaming
(still updating, haven't gotten to the Airstream trips yet)
worldinchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 09:21 PM   #53
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
I got the propane lines connected today. still need to drill them through the floor, but I want to wait and see where stuff sits first. Also got the front are rear banana wrap on.

Then when the wind died down tonight I was able to flip the frame back over and get the wheels on.

Tomorrow I try to get the shell back on the frame. Lots of prep to get it ready in the morning though.. hopefully it won't be to windy..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
Old 06-22-2012, 10:50 PM   #54
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, my understanding is that you need to prop up the frame so that it is perfectly level/straight or ever so slightly up wards [at each end] so it will be straight when the body is installed and the pressure released. Does this sound correct to you and were you planning on doing something similar or not?
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 08:43 AM   #55
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
Yeah, as my frame sits now with the reinforcing it sits level, When I put it under I may jack the back up if needed. I'm going to start at the front and work my way to the back I think.

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
Old 06-24-2012, 07:19 PM   #56
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
So I needed to move the gantry's back over the shell and my neighbor wasn't around to help. So the ATV did a nice job of pulling them to where I needed them.

I put the frame back under the shell this morning before we had company. Putting it under the shell was the easy part.

Lining it up was the hard part.

It took my a good hour of playing around to get it in the right spot and put the rivets through the very front to hold it in place. Surprising I had 4 Olympic rivets in place when the trailer slip of the front stand. Those rivets held up the whole front frame. Was a little scary but it's good to know those things have some strength in them..

Tomorrow I will get the rest of the frame lined up and riveted on. Hopefully it goes easier than the first few did.. It was a lot of work...

hoped to get it done today but we had company coming at 2 and the kids sleep in, so I did to. They don't sleep past 7 am to often. And I had to come in at noon to help clean up and watch the kids.

Three and a half weeks till we leave for Oregon.. Time is going quick..
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1627.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	502.9 KB
ID:	161749   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1629.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	453.6 KB
ID:	161750  

Name:	IMG_1631.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	355.6 KB
ID:	161751   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1632.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	346.0 KB
ID:	161752  

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
Old 06-24-2012, 07:23 PM   #57
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
OH, Yeah, anyone building Gantry's you need to make the 12 feet minimum. anything small you won't be able to pull the trailer out using chain hoists. You can see in the picture above there is a good foot and a half between the gantry and the AS with the hoist all the way up..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
Old 06-26-2012, 11:26 PM   #58
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
Almost have the frame riveted to the shell or vs. versa. Just have the curb side rear to get done. Then run some bolts throw the c-chanel. I have been screwing it down but want some bolts too. Man it's been a pain to line up. Even had to use a jack on the frame a couple of times to get it level to line up rivets. and the handy man on the rear bumper on one side.

Plus it's been so hot here. I don't like working in the sun. And with the older kids in VBS in the mornings this week, makes it harder to get stuff done because I have the twins by myself. But the wife thought it would be good for the older ones to get out and do something.

I'm the one who needs to be doing something!!!! Like working on the AS..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
Old 06-27-2012, 03:15 PM   #59
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
YES!! I got the shell back on the frame. The shell is now riveted to the c-channel that is screwed to the floor.

Now, I probably have enough screws in place to hold the channel to the floor without bolts. But I'm putting some in anyway. Especially the front and back. One can't be to careful.

Also need to get the dremel tool fired up to take care of the olympic rivets.

Here are some pics and one of my lovely wife who has been so understanding over the past 4 weeks as all my time goes to the AS..
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1650.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	351.3 KB
ID:	161886   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1653.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	368.7 KB
ID:	161887  

Name:	IMG_1652.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	363.1 KB
ID:	161888  

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
Old 06-27-2012, 03:40 PM   #60
Rivet Master

1959 17' Pacer
Long Beach , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by purman
YES!! I got the shell back on the frame. The shell is now riveted to the c-channel that is screwed to the floor.

Now, I probably have enough screws in place to hold the channel to the floor without bolts. But I'm putting some in anyway. Especially the front and back. One can't be to careful.

Also need to get the dremel tool fired up to take care of the olympic rivets.

Here are some pics and one of my lovely wife who has been so understanding over the past 4 weeks as all my time goes to the AS..
Nice job. Whatever you are taking, i'd like some of it. Your speed is impressive. :-)

Nice looking pictures, it looks like you'll be done with a week to spare at this rate.

1959 Pacer 18' Renovation - Knight in Shining Armor

Our Adventure Blog - Documenting our backpacking, hiking, camping, and Airstreaming
(still updating, haven't gotten to the Airstream trips yet)
worldinchaos is offline   Reply With Quote