Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-08-2009, 10:28 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1965 28' Ambassador
Irving , Texas
My '65 Ambie is home!!!!!

Drove 8hrs. to pick her up yesterday.Got a great motel for $41.I was awake every hour all night I suppose with excitment( and not much excites me at 62,been there done that).
Headed over to pick her up at 7:00 am in the rain.My first Airstream,so my little brother made the trip to tow her home with his Dodge Cummins deisel.

Got there and she was a beauty.Shell great with one deep scratch on side rear panel.(fixable) Interior like walking into 1965 with even original brackets for bunks!Wood was super.Floor will need the usual,though not bad.
Refer will be replaced with a 110/lp.I was afraid the shroud had been tossed, but it was in the closet.They thought someone might need it! I do!

We drove 500 miles back in pouring rain!! I know where the leaks are now.(2 windows and 1 vent) considering the force of the rain the leaks were minimal.
Here is a peek as I found her. Start planning the resto on Mon.keeping her as original as possible.
I am a commercial photographer so more pics to follow as I move forward..These are PO pics.This is exciting stuff.
Steve
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	new 65 and 70 003 copy.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	163.7 KB
ID:	92311   Click image for larger version

Name:	new 65 and 70 001 copy.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	133.8 KB
ID:	92312  

Click image for larger version

Name:	65 26ft valdosta 45 009.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	237.5 KB
ID:	92313   Click image for larger version

Name:	65 26ft valdosta 45 005.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	216.1 KB
ID:	92314  

bwaysteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 10:43 PM   #2
Aluminum in 3-D

1968 28' Ambassador
Seaside , Oregon
Welcome to the Ambassador club. We love ours, enough room to move around but easy to tow and park. Have fun.

Membership chair
Wally Byam Airstream Club
Past President Oregon Unit 090

Campfires, the original social media!
wbcci#29827

Check out the [URL="https://airstreamclub.org/"and Wally Byam Airstream Club on facebook
Blue Pearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 08:40 AM   #3
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwaysteve View Post
I am a commercial photographer so more pics to follow as I move forward..These are PO pics.This is exciting stuff.
Steve
Steve.

Check to see if the furnace brand name is "International Oil Burner".

If it is, DO NOT attempt to light it as it has a great tendancy to explode.

There was a bunch of recalls on it, when it was new.

The problem with it, is the "burner log" in time, rusts and falls apart. That should have happened years ago.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 08:42 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1965 28' Ambassador
Irving , Texas
Explode!

Thanks Andy,
This is great safety advice.Would not have known this.Any problems with the ovens?
I am beginning by addressing the leaks.Two windows and a vent.
The front window leaked quite a bit on the way home.I have read about the D channel you sell and will probably do all windows anyway.What do I use for the front window seal?Same thing? Or is it fixed with glazing.

I am also planning to get 4 new AS wheels from Inland.(to get rid of these spilt rims)Are these just balanced with weights as usual and add Centramatix to the hub or does the hub need balance as in the Inland site pics.I would like to use baby moons with these wheels and I think I have found a source that will fit rims with no clips.
Thanks ,Steve
Old 12-09-2009, 08:46 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Sweet!

That is a nice looking Airstream!
Old 12-09-2009, 09:50 PM   #6

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Congrats... Looks like it's in pretty good shape.

Kevin

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 04:03 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1978 29' Ambassador
1974 25' Tradewind
1974 27' Overlander
Indiana , Pennsylvania
Welcome to the Ambassador club...we love our "78".

Bob
Roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 07:51 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1964 28' Ambassador
Oklahoma City , Oklahoma
Hey! I didn't know there was an Ambassador club! Congrats, Steve. You've got a really nice trailer, there. So, let the fun begin!
Ambie '64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 08:06 AM   #9
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwaysteve View Post
Thanks Andy,
This is great safety advice.Would not have known this.Any problems with the ovens?
I am beginning by addressing the leaks.Two windows and a vent.
The front window leaked quite a bit on the way home.I have read about the D channel you sell and will probably do all windows anyway.What do I use for the front window seal?Same thing? Or is it fixed with glazing.

I am also planning to get 4 new AS wheels from Inland.(to get rid of these spilt rims)Are these just balanced with weights as usual and add Centramatix to the hub or does the hub need balance as in the Inland site pics.I would like to use baby moons with these wheels and I think I have found a source that will fit rims with no clips.
Thanks ,Steve
Steve.

The "D" gasket is good for all your windows, access doors and entrance door.

Which vent is leaking?

Andy
Old 12-10-2009, 09:55 AM   #10
Aluminum in 3-D

1968 28' Ambassador
Seaside , Oregon
There is no real club, it's just that we all have the same trailer and each style has there own thread under the name (Ambassador, Bambi, Safari, etc.) here on the forum . Maybe we should start one.

Membership chair
Wally Byam Airstream Club
Past President Oregon Unit 090

Campfires, the original social media!
wbcci#29827

Check out the [URL="https://airstreamclub.org/"and Wally Byam Airstream Club on facebook
Blue Pearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 04:36 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1965 28' Ambassador
Irving , Texas
vent

Andy,
The leaking vent is the front next to the Astro.Just a drop every minute or so.Hit me on the head but hard to see.
The main concern though is the front window.I have not researched yet because of work.On the trip in pouring rain, the bottom sill was really wet and the curtains(sheet) wicked it up about half way.
I also have some moisture on one of the rear ss windows.Other than that, the back vent fan would open after I tightened each time.The vent fans will probably be replaced,but the windows especially the front are of concern.
Thanks,Steve
Old 12-10-2009, 04:55 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
Venice , Florida
Welcome to the Airstream family. We are new to Airstreaming also and love it, the older ones need TLC, I know it will be worth the effort. Good luck with yours!

Bill
airdreamers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 04:55 PM   #13
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Looks great Steve. Hope to see it in person this February.
Old 12-21-2009, 08:16 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1965 28' Ambassador
Irving , Texas
Furnace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
Steve.

Check to see if the furnace brand name is "International Oil Burner".

If it is, DO NOT attempt to light it as it has a great tendancy to explode.

There was a bunch of recalls on it, when it was new.

The problem with it, is the "burner log" in time, rusts and falls apart. That should have happened years ago.

Andy
Yes Andy it is an International! What is out there that wold be a good fit for a replacement? Is a furnace necessary? Could I go tankless on the hot water and use a low profile Carrier with a heat strip? Steve
Old 04-22-2010, 10:32 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

1966 28' Ambassador
Mobile , NewOrleans
theres an ambassador club! i wanna be in an ambi club...........
luv your AS,i just bought a 1966 28ft ambassador.....so as you find stuff out~lemme know...this is alot to take in
Jezzbell76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 06:39 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

1965 28' Ambassador
Malta , New York
My fingers are crossed

I have located my first Airstream and pick it up on Saturday. Looking forward to restoring with my two son's and becoming obsessed as I have for these. Am looking forward to reading this 1965 forum. (The closest I found was this 1966 one???)
Airstreamdmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 07:15 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

1965 28' Ambassador
Malta , New York
Andy;

You and I spoke a couple weeks back and you had me start reading about axles and the abuse people have put on their Airstreams traveling down the road. I have my fingers crossed but am hoping to pick up a 1965 Ambassador 28 ft. it is supposed to be in great shape in terms of frame and no separation sagging etc. I want to do things right and starting with contacting you as to whether I need to do anything with wheels, axles, rims, etc. I saw your tip about the furnace. I'll have to take a look at it when I get it home.
Old 10-17-2010, 09:16 PM   #18
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airstreamdmb View Post
Andy;

You and I spoke a couple weeks back and you had me start reading about axles and the abuse people have put on their Airstreams traveling down the road. I have my fingers crossed but am hoping to pick up a 1965 Ambassador 28 ft. it is supposed to be in great shape in terms of frame and no separation sagging etc. I want to do things right and starting with contacting you as to whether I need to do anything with wheels, axles, rims, etc. I saw your tip about the furnace. I'll have to take a look at it when I get it home.
Make sure the bearings are lubed and that the trailer has operable brakes and decent tires.

Make sure a good load equalizing hitch will be used.

I don't know how far you will be pulling the trailer. If it's not very far, take your time. If it's real far, take your sweet time.

After the trailer is home, and you have time to check it out, let me know if you have any questions.

Andy
Old 10-18-2010, 12:32 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1965 28' Ambassador
Irving , Texas
Stay in touch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airstreamdmb View Post
I have located my first Airstream and pick it up on Saturday. Looking forward to restoring with my two son's and becoming obsessed as I have for these. Am looking forward to reading this 1965 forum. (The closest I found was this 1966 one???)
Great another 65 Ambie!! Best wishes!

I am in the process of restoring a 65 Ambassador I bought last Dec.My thread "Gutting the 65"goes thru tear out and frame resto,gray and black tank install and a little polishing.I still have several pics to post .I am installing the new floor this weekend.You should also check the thread Ambassador Redux.It is a 64 resto but great detail and tips and basically the same coach.There is a great example of a restored 65 on Vintage Trailer Archives
Old 10-19-2010, 07:03 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

1965 28' Ambassador
Malta , New York
hitch question and original propane tanks?

I'm picking up the 65 Ambassador this weekend. only about a 2 hour drive. Am looking for advice as to what distribution hitch is best for this one, and also wanted to know what everyone does if wnating to use the older tanks when considering new regulations for propane tanks to be filled. Are there replacement tanks????? I was hoping to be able to somehow use the older original tanks if they are safe.

Tags
1966 ambassador