Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-01-2019, 05:14 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Hackettstown , New Jersey
Just Bought My First Airstream!

Just bought my first Airstream! Picking her up next week. I believe it’s a 1968 Ambassador 28’, correct me if I’m wrong, looks to be in good condition. Paid $4500 good deal?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3CE003A4-8FBD-416D-8AED-8869AF2F4045.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	435.8 KB
ID:	348247   Click image for larger version

Name:	4A47B531-6326-4152-9C77-69FB40B647FB.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	205.6 KB
ID:	348248  

Click image for larger version

Name:	D8D264F5-F1F7-4EDB-BF4C-F70E304134C5.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	241.1 KB
ID:	348249   Click image for larger version

Name:	D024E484-FC07-4D6F-AEA1-21ADD9D96EC9.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	246.5 KB
ID:	348250  

Asinnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 05:48 PM   #2
Site Team

2009 25' FB International
2018 27' Globetrotter
Tavares , Florida
Congrats! Looks really nice for that price. But I'm sure it will be a lot of work.

Enjoy!
Hans627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 05:55 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Congats! Welcome to our world!
Old 08-01-2019, 06:10 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2015 28' International
Ofallon , Missouri
Congrats and welcome!

Have fun and be SAFE!
Old 08-01-2019, 06:13 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
If you are happy, it's a good deal.
Welcome to the AirForums!
Old 08-02-2019, 08:52 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1969 18' Caravel
Greenville , whereEverIroam
Congrats, welcome!

You have no idea the fun in store for you now!

What adventures you'll have, both in fixing the AS and then using it!
skyguyscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 09:19 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2016 19' Flying Cloud
Newtown , Connecticut
Looks really nice! Enjoy.
brundom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 09:43 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
It looks like it has been well cared for. This is a great buy for $4,500.

We have a 66 Tradewind and love it.

Welcome to AirForums. Your life will be changed for the better.

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 10:49 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2019 25' Globetrotter
Nashville , Tennessee
Congratulations! I can imagine all the ways I'd really bring out its beauty. And $4500 is a steal from where I'm sitting!! I can't wait to see what you do with it!
Old 08-02-2019, 10:58 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Sunset Valley , Texas
Endcap dent?

Inside looks well cared for.

In the pic of the exterior, while hard to see, there seems to be a pretty gnarly dent in the front end cap?

That probably explains the price.

Have fun and welcome aboard.

Ian
Iansk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 11:23 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2018 25' International
chino hills , California
Congratulations on purchasing your first Airstream. She looks like a beauty. Many great Airstream adventures ahead of you and your family. You will have great support from the Airsteam community. Hope to see you at the international rally Loveland Colorado 2020. Go to their WBCCI Website to register. It will fill up quick. And in one week you’ll make 699 new Airsteam friends. What perfect timing you have. Hope to see you there. Safe travels’s
redhat200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 11:32 AM   #12
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Just letting you know, the initial purchase price is merely a down payment with vintage Airstreams.
On the huge plus side, is that you've purchased an old Airstream with all the bits and pieces intact. Buying bits and pieces are extremely expensive.
Should you ever decide to do a restoration/renovation, you can at least have a idea on how Airstream built the trailer, and section off the trailer before disassembly, to figure out what weight went where.
Cheers
Sidekick Tony

“It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose your own.” "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 11:34 AM   #13
Everyday is a GIFT !!

2015 30' Classic
Collins , Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to Nelson428
CONGRATULATIONS [emoji322][emoji898] and Welcome to the adventure of a lifetime.
AirForums # 66116
Nelson428 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 01:11 PM   #14
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Indeed "the adventure begins" !!!

In order to safely get the trailer moved there are a few things that need to be checked. This is *not* to say made perfect. You just need to be sure you are at the "good enough" point. Where that point is depends a lot on how far you need to move it. A half mile down a side street is a very different proposition than 500 miles on I-95

1) Tires, 10 years is a typical "use by" point on tires. They also need to be in reasonable shape from a visual inspection. Being able to hold air is about the absolute minimum requirement.

2) Brakes, they need to function. This also involves having a charged battery onboard for the breakaway setup. For a long trip the brake pads at least need to be present.

3) Wheel bearings, Lube is always a good thing on bearings. If they scream at you as you move the trailer ... not a good thing. For a longer trip, they need to be in reasonable shape.

4) Hitch and tow vehicle, You have to have the right sized ball for the hitch and a TV that is rated to pull the load. To get it out of the field, you might need something with some heft / 4WD. For a longer trip, you need a properly set up WD / anti-sway hitch.

5) Lights, to be legal the brake lights and turn signals will need to be functional. For an extended trip, you have to have something that works. Indeed I just pulled into the campground behind a SOB that didn't have working lights. Three days ago I followed a National Guard vehicle with the same problem. Don't do what they do ... some guy named Bob may plow into you

6) Everything else ..... Frame, floor, window latches, door hinges ... on and on. For an extended move, you do want to be pretty sure that the frame is still there. Poking around and checking this and that for rot is about the only way to do it. Axles are also in this category.

No, that's not in any way to suggest you should not go pick up your beauty. Only that you want to do it in a safe fashion. You want it to get home in every bit as good a shape as it's in right now.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 01:23 PM   #15
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Thanks everyone! Super Excited heading out on Monday to pick her up!
Old 08-02-2019, 01:26 PM   #16
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

Indeed "the adventure begins" !!!

In order to safely get the trailer moved there are a few things that need to be checked. This is *not* to say made perfect. You just need to be sure you are at the "good enough" point. Where that point is depends a lot on how far you need to move it. A half mile down a side street is a very different proposition than 500 miles on I-95

1) Tires, 10 years is a typical "use by" point on tires. They also need to be in reasonable shape from a visual inspection. Being able to hold air is about the absolute minimum requirement.

2) Brakes, they need to function. This also involves having a charged battery onboard for the breakaway setup. For a long trip the brake pads at least need to be present.

3) Wheel bearings, Lube is always a good thing on bearings. If they scream at you as you move the trailer ... not a good thing. For a longer trip, they need to be in reasonable shape.

4) Hitch and tow vehicle, You have to have the right sized ball for the hitch and a TV that is rated to pull the load. To get it out of the field, you might need something with some heft / 4WD. For a longer trip, you need a properly set up WD / anti-sway hitch.

5) Lights, to be legal the brake lights and turn signals will need to be functional. For an extended trip, you have to have something that works. Indeed I just pulled into the campground behind a SOB that didn't have working lights. Three days ago I followed a National Guard vehicle with the same problem. Don't do what they do ... some guy named Bob may plow into you

6) Everything else ..... Frame, floor, window latches, door hinges ... on and on. For an extended move, you do want to be pretty sure that the frame is still there. Poking around and checking this and that for rot is about the only way to do it. Axles are also in this category.

No, that's not in any way to suggest you should not go pick up your beauty. Only that you want to do it in a safe fashion. You want it to get home in every bit as good a shape as it's in right now.

Bob

This was my biggest concern by far, its in northern Michigan along the Canadian border and I'm moving it back to NJ. Seller says that it has new tires and brakes and was recently moved to the spot, they also say the frame has no rot but who really knows until I take a look at it haha. My TV is a 2019 ram 1500 so should be good on that front but anything particular brand or kind of lube you suggest for the bearings? The outside wiring was also supposedly redone but I bought a set of the magnetic brake lights just to be same
Old 08-02-2019, 02:03 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asinnj View Post
This was my biggest concern by far, its in northern Michigan along the Canadian border and I'm moving it back to NJ. Seller says that it has new tires and brakes and was recently moved to the spot, they also say the frame has no rot but who really knows until I take a look at it haha. My TV is a 2019 ram 1500 so should be good on that front but anything particular brand or kind of lube you suggest for the bearings? The outside wiring was also supposedly redone but I bought a set of the magnetic brake lights just to be same
There are multiple kinds of bearing grease, some do not mix well with others. So, ask what kind was used, and try to use the same lube until you have time to thoroughly clean/check the bearings and wheel hub.
Smart move to carry alternate lighting!
Do you have a trailer brake controller on your tow vehicle, that you know is in good working condition?
Old 08-02-2019, 03:03 PM   #18
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by A W Warn View Post
There are multiple kinds of bearing grease, some do not mix well with others. So, ask what kind was used, and try to use the same lube until you have time to thoroughly clean/check the bearings and wheel hub.
Smart move to carry alternate lighting!
Do you have a trailer brake controller on your tow vehicle, that you know is in good working condition?
I do yes, has a towing package that I didn't know id need until now
Old 08-02-2019, 04:30 PM   #19
:SPACE A" S/O 11 Air19745

2006 34' Classic S/O
Fort Worth , Texas
Olympic rivets are strong. I had rear end separation and all the lower left and right
Olympics previously used were intact. So were the top and sides rivets. They had pull out in a downward direction by tearing through the almuminum vertically. The 34's are bad about the dreaded "dreaded reared separation." Fortunately, there was no other damage or wood rot from leaks. If you have a trailer with a rear cargo drawer under the floor ahead of the bumper, I would recommend you be real careful about the amount of weight of your cargo. Airstream specifically told me there is no weight restriction, but I'm going to stay on the lite side.
guskmg
guskmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 07:46 AM   #20
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Ummm ..... errrr .... where about in Northern Michigan? (it's a big state, but that's where we are right now).

Normal planning for most of us is less than 400 miles a day. My typical target is under 300 miles. Pulling something like this is tiring. Even more so the first few weeks with a new rig. You also do need to pull over and check this and that. Getting gas when hooked up is interesting the first few times you do it.

One thing to consider - you may be a pretty long drive from the nearest "big box" store. The local hardware store might also be a bit far and not as fully stocked as you might like. Same issue with getting to Target to stock this or that kitchen item. One alternative would be to get tow (slowly) a campground near to a city and work on things there for a couple days.

Getting your WD/anti-sway hitch onto the trailer and properly adjusted *will* take some time. It also takes some pretty big wrenches so check on that early as well. You will want a torque wrench to check the lug bolts on the wheels. You are headed very much into the "long drive" category.

I-75 is a mess at the moment with construction all over the place. It would be the last place in the world I would want to "try out" a new rig. You will get a view of all that driving in. Timing things to avoid rush hour past big cities might help a little, it's still a crowded mess.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote