Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Ambassador > 1966 - 1969 Ambassador
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-11-2013, 01:40 PM   #1
baja bound

1969 27' Overlander
1968 28' Ambassador
Bozeman , Montana
'68 Ambassador window

How do you hold a fixed window in? Replacing one just in front of door in 68 ambassador.
Tim Foote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 05:42 PM   #2
NO HUMBLE OPINION

1968 20' Globetrotter
ANN ARBOR , THE GREAT LAKES
I taped back from the glass edges to aid with squeeze-out clean up. Then applied a small bead of clear silicone along the outside face glass edge, and held it in place with a wooden bow for a while.

Used a sheet of poly-carbonate and a minimal bead of clear silicone to make it a convenient and inviting point to break into trailer.

I may engrave break-in instructions in window, hoping to avoid crow-bar damage to door/jamb by thieves. It'll help me if my door lock defects or I lock myself out.

It is holding well and does not leak. There may be a vinyl grey seal that goes on inside, but it looks and functions fine without it.

Best of luck, Wm
ALUMINUMINUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 07:06 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Oxford, , Mississippi
If you are talking about the small glass under the curved window, it is held in with a flexible gasket. I was able to find the proper size gasket at my local ACE hardware store. They do window pane replacements and had several styles of the gasket and one was an exact copy of the original. The trick to getting the glass to go back into the slot in the gasket was lots of dish soap and a putty knife. I can send you pics if you need to see what I'm talking about.
68 Trade Wind
2001 Toyota Tundra
68 TWind is offline   Reply With Quote