Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Ambassador > 1966 - 1969 Ambassador
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-07-2020, 12:25 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

1968 28' Ambassador
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by 57Vintage View Post
An automotive seam sealer (can not a tube) can be brushed on easily.

That sounds like a pretty straightforward process. I thought I would have un-rivet the whole outer skin and buck rivet it back together to reseal seams and rivets. That would be kinda crazy right?

So, I replace all the missing buck rivets, and seal the inside seams. Not to hard.

Not quite sure about the process of reslealing outside rivet heads and seams. Sounds like I have some research to do... Haha, I notice I'm saying that phrase a lot these days...
zen_stream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 02:18 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

1968 28' Ambassador
Portland , Oregon
I dug around on the internet and found this video of a guy sealing the seams on a silver streak. Is this the correct way of doing things? I like the use of painters tape. I've seen some pictures on the net of some messy looking sealing jobs so I'm definitely taping.

I'm seeing differing opinions on the sealant to use here, TremPro 635 is the one I see the most but it looks hard to source. Any opinions on alternatives or is TremPro 635 the go-to? ....I probably should order some from VTS soon.

Appreciate everyone's feedback.
zen_stream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 04:52 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Fredericksburg , Texas
Z-S, in listening to the VAP, we followed Colin’s suggestion of using Parbond. He said they get good enough where they don’t need painter’s tape. We cleaned the joints of any old caulk we could get to. Then we used Captain Tolley’s to wick into the seam. Lastly we taped the joint and used Parbond. Sounds like a lot of work but wasn’t that bad. No leaks that I’m aware of.
Bubba L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 05:46 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
A drop of Capt Tolley's on the outside edge of each bucked rivet can seal those tiny leaks invisibly. If it forms a circle around the edge, the rivet is tight, when it disappears down the shaft, wait 5 to 10 minutes and reapply. Do not sing "one little, two little, three little rivets" when other people are nearby or they will know you've lost it. Mark the leakers with a Postit or painter's tape so they are easy to find on the second application.
Also look out for Olympic rivets and consider replacing them while you have the inner skins down. They are basically pop rivets that can loosen or leak.
While you have so much of the subflooring and interior out, be aware that high winds can grab your shell and take your whole project into the dumper. Extra true if you go "shell off" with the subfloor replacement. Make sure you have some kind of temporary bracing that ties the shell ribs to the frame. Of course that will now make you want a 40 x 20 steel building... aluminitis is a progressive disease.
What are your plans for patching or disguising the slash? Some people do decorative patches. I have seen a star or two, an outhouse moon, and a maple leaf on a Canadian Airstream.
Old 03-07-2020, 06:52 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Arvada , Colorado
I’m crazy then, because I opened every seam, removed every window frame, then cleaned, resealed, and shot every thing back together.
Aerowood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 09:34 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Aerowood, yeah but you are crazy good not just crazy.

If it's all open (and it likely never will be again) and easy to get to. Seal it up.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 09:32 AM   #27
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
You definitely want to get everything sealed BEFORE you replace that floor or do any construction on the interior. Sitting in the trailer in a rainstorm or simulated rainstorm (via hose or pressure washer) is a very good idea before you start reconstruction.
And, yes, Aerowood is crazy good!

Kay
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 02:06 AM   #28
4 Rivet Member

1956 22' Safari
1962 28' Ambassador
Williston , Vermont
Looking forward to following along with your build. I’ll be starting the rebuild of my ‘62 Ambassador as soon as the ground firms up enough to move it. It’s mud season in Vermont.

Regarding seam sealing, I used Eastwood Automotive Seam Sealer on all visible interior seams and rivet heads before I put up the insulation in my Safari. First I removed the original black sealer with a wire brush chucked in a 4” grinder. Dirty nasty job. The sealer is a little pricey, but appears to be some tough resilient stuff. -Mark
Old 07-03-2020, 07:47 AM   #29

1968 28' Ambassador
Brownsville , Texas
I recently acquired a 68' Land Yacht Ambassador and would like to redo the steel frame but I am having trouble finding the A-cad drawings or actual dimensions of the frame chassis. Can someone point me to the right direction. Thanks in advance.
Roman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 08:58 AM   #30

1972 27' Overlander
Ainsworth , Nebraska
Fellow Ambassadorians

We are half way through renovating a 1970 Ambassador. The main thing is to kept everything accessible. We inadvertently blocked the access to the fresh water tank. Now we are having to "puzzle" it out to fix a leak.

Be sure and do a good job winterizing it. You may want to put in extra water line drains.

Good luck

Irene and Bill in Nebraska
Ponylady is offline   Reply With Quote