Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-12-2013, 04:29 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Wolnzach , Bavaria
window hinge bend - how to fix?

I am in the process to replace the gaskets on my 1972 Tradewind. Unfortunately I am not able to get one of the side windows back in again. After investigating why I found out the frame part of the hinge is kind of curved. The middle part of it is about 1/8" "higher" than the 2 ends of it. The hinge on the window is perfectly flat.
What can I do to either straighten the hinge on the frame or get the window in as it is?

Thanks!!!
Lars_SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 05:11 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Albuquerque , New Mexico
From your description, I would suggest that you should not attempt to bend or straighten anything just yet.
First of all, did you mark your windows so you are putting them back from whence they came?
Sometimes ( in fact, almost always) they aren't interchangeable.
Second, you must find the sweet spot (or g spot if you like). There is only one position (about 165 degrees according to Zeppelinium) where the hinge halves will mate and become a hinge. Sometimes it helps to have two people, each with their own step ladder.
Four Corners Unit WBCCI #5783
Alumaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 05:51 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Wolnzach , Bavaria
This for sure the right windows as I am doing one after the other, so it´s not a mix up problem.
I do not understand why the correct angle will solve my problem as the bow/bend will stay on the frame side - or am I wrong?
I am thinking of getting the frame part of the hinge off, attach it to the window and then rivet it (with the window) back to the shell. Is that a stupid plan?
Old 01-12-2013, 06:09 PM   #4
Maniacal Engineer

1971 25' Tradewind
Lopez Island , Washington
Our rear window has this problem.... we got it back together by cleaning all the mating surfaces with a small fine stainless brush and some scotch brite pads... and then lubed it with silicone spray. On ours the window was tweaked; it straighted up under the influence of the shell's hinge. In your case the reverse may happen.

- Bart
barts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 08:01 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
Currently Looking...
McHenry County , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lars_SC View Post
I am thinking of getting the frame part of the hinge off, attach it to the window and then rivet it (with the window) back to the shell. Is that a stupid plan?
Not stupid but definitly ill advised.
I think the window rivets are smaller that usual and attempting to put the hinge back together while trying to hold the glass and everything together could be a challenge.
Just take your time to line up "Tab A with Slot B". Sometimes it's frustrating, especially with a new gasket, but it will go back in.

Tom

Tom Nugler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 09:37 PM   #6
Vince & Virginia

1969 21' Globetrotter
Riverside , California
The last time I replaced a window gasket on my '69, I had the same problem. It took me HOURS (& a visit to my chiropractor) to get it back in, tweaking it in the process, untweaking it and trying again, and again, and again. Really, you need two people on two ladders (maybe three), with a wood block and a rubber mallet. Line up and hook the two ends, and use the wood block and rubber mallet to push on underside in the middle, to "pop" the hinge back in. Slowly lower the window down and SWEAR never to take another window out again. Leaks be damned. It's not worth it. Worked for me.

Virginia
Towster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 08:49 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Tom Nugler and Towster are Correct

Please do not despair, and please do not drill or bend.
The harder we try, and the more tired we become, with our hands over our heads, the more convinced we become that we need to bend something or drill something.
Then, the next day when we are rested, or when we have a helper, it pops into place.
The correct angle has a very narrow tolerance. If it came off, it WILL go back on.
I too had one window on one Airstream that was impossibly more difficult than the others.
I with my step-ladder and my neighbor with a step-ladder were able to reinstall it with maddening ease.
Four Corners Unit WBCCI #5783
Alumaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 08:01 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Wolnzach , Bavaria
Thanks to all of you. I learned that I will not remove or bend/straighten anything. PATIENCE seems to be needed and I will start my next attempt that hopefully ends successful.
You mentioned the correct angle that is needed to get the window back in again. This should be the same for all of the windows, right? If so I was thinking to make a kind of gauge on another window in the clip-in position. Would that help?
Old 01-13-2013, 08:23 PM   #9
Commercial Member

2016 27' International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
Good info in this thread. Thx for posting.

Vinnie

https://www.facebook.com/VinniesNort...ir?ref=tn_tnmn
Airslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 10:43 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1971 31' Sovereign
fort myers , Florida
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by barts View Post
Our rear window has this problem.... we got it back together by cleaning all the mating surfaces with a small fine stainless brush and some scotch brite pads... and then lubed it with silicone spray. On ours the window was tweaked; it straighted up under the influence of the shell's hinge. In your case the reverse may happen.

- Bart
good advice...sanded mine with 220,then wet sanded 400. Silicone spray out the gazoo...went in finally.
swampthang7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 12:38 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1974 31' Excella 500
Charleston , South Carolina
I'm with Towster on the hammer idea. I think the hammer is a seriously underrated tool.