Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-27-2011, 08:15 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Window Gasket types that work

I was wondering what types of EDPM gaskets will work on the standard pop out windows? I have an 81 Excella II. It looks like it came with two prongs sticking out at an angle type gasket. Mine are flattened and the windows are still hard to close. It looks like folks are going to D shapped gaskets. I am assuming something like 3/8" thick EDPM foam with maybe a 5/8" width or is that too thick for the window to close? Also is adhesive backed ok or does it need to be actually glued to the frame?

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 08:18 AM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by perryg114 View Post
I was wondering what types of EDPM gaskets will work on the standard pop out windows? I have an 81 Excella II. It looks like it came with two prongs sticking out at an angle type gasket. Mine are flattened and the windows are still hard to close. It looks like folks are going to D shapped gaskets. I am assuming something like 3/8" thick EDPM foam with maybe a 5/8" width or is that too thick for the window to close? Also is adhesive backed ok or does it need to be actually glued to the frame?

Perry
Foam gaskets leak water.

Super weatherstrip adhesive, "must" be used if you want the gasket to stay in place.

Other adhesives do not have the same holding power as that 3M black material does.

The white tape will not hold the gasket in place.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 08:30 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
I just re gasketed all the windows in my '73. The PO had done a partial job, so I had some windows with D gaskets, and some with the original two-pronged stuff you describe. I tried some off-the-shelf D gaskets from Lowe's, which were self adhesive. Didn't work out too well. Adhesive didn't hold up even after only a couple of months. So I ordered enough of the two-pronged stuff (still for sale at Out-of-Doors Mart) and a couple of tubes of 3M gasket adhesive and did all the windows. The two-pronged stuff is more expensive than the D gasket--I think I paid around 77 cents per foot. So far, so good. The adhesive is doing a fine job of keeping the gaskets in place (though it was messy as heck to work with), and the gaskets are keeping out the water.
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 08:34 AM   #4
Aluminum Falcon Mechanic

1972 31' Sovereign
Wesley chapel , Florida
You want to use the black 3m seal adhesive from the auto store.

I have heard the D works better than the finned seal.
Darkspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 08:35 AM   #5
Aluminum Falcon Mechanic

1972 31' Sovereign
Wesley chapel , Florida
Woo two people beat my while I was typing... Lol
Darkspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 08:39 AM   #6
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
3M weatherstrip adhesive is, as Andy pointed out, the way to go.

Some years ago, it was available only in yellow (earning it the endearing label "monkey snot"), but now it's also available in black, which looks a lot better on semi-visible areas like windows. I use it also to adhere engine gaskets on the MG permanently on one side and use one of the standard silicone-based adhesives to adhere the other side.

Lynn