Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-30-2017, 12:56 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Watertown , Massachusetts
Rock guard "seals"

We have a 2014 20' FC. This morning I was looking out the curved side front bedroom windows and saw a lot of leaves and such. So, I got busy and opened the rock guards, cleaned them out and proceeded to lock things back up.

Then I started looking at how the curved window rock guards on the sides fit up against the trailer. Basically, they don't. There is a large enough gap to get my hand through at the top on the left, and all of my fingers through on the right. The sides don't seal either, but interestingly, the bottom seals just fine. So that means that when stuff falls down from the trees, it can get behind the rock guards just fine, but can't get out. There was a gap in the bottom seal to let the water out, but it was still a bit moldy down there from the trapped leaves, which isn't good.

This makes me wonder what the seals are even for, since the whole rock guard panels weren't close to fitting snug up against the trailer. And I'm wondering if I shouldn't just pull them (the seals) off altogether or try to add enough rubber to actually seal them, or maybe pull some of the rubber seal off the bottom to let things escape. I guess the bottom rubber seals might prevent rocks and dirt from flying up from the TV tires, but I kind of doubt it.

Sealing would require quite a lot of rubber, and I doubt my ability to get it to stay in place anyway.

I guess I could also just ignore it. What say you?
sallye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 01:26 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Davenport , Iowa
I have the same problem, but have "put up" with it. In addition, I have a problem with the rubber seal between the plastic guard and the aluminum frame; I have tried 3 different sizes of the rubber seal and NONE fit, too small. There seams to be a "paper" shim added to the rubber seal and it is rotting. Suggestions????
mj
Airtandem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 04:32 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I put the split foam pipe insulation from HD over the rubber gasket. Reduces trash greatly. Lasts about 2 years before sun eats it. Works pretty well.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 06:09 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2016 23' International
Centennial , Colorado
Rich - do you have any challenges with it rubbing and causing chafing against the trailer skin?
Old 07-31-2017, 07:13 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by centennialman View Post
Rich - do you have any challenges with it rubbing and causing chafing against the trailer skin?
Not that I can tell. Been using them for over 6 years. I suppose I clean there a couple times a year and remove dirt.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 07:37 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
I think of them as bumpers rather than seals. Opening them when washing the Airstream is just part of our procedure and the only way to wash the window glass and inside of the rock guards.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote