Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-09-2021, 07:21 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Fairfield , California
Rear Hatch Question

Hi everyone

We are researching a new airstream, I would like to get the rear hatch as an option. Has anyone had negative experiences with the hatch such as water leaks ?

Thank you for your time

Eric
Eric. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 09:39 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2003 25' Safari
Las Vegas , Nevada
Didn't know they were now an option. On my 2003 they were standard. But I've had my Safari since October 2003 and have only noticed a very small intermittent leak in the rear hatch/window only, within the past year or so which I am about to correct with some silicone caulk on the exterior of the hatch. Other than that I have never had a leak in my Safari anywhere (the roof warranty is 20 years I believe).
Hannibal01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 10:58 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Larkspur , California
Hi Eric.

I have the rear hatch on a 25’ Flying Cloud, which I picked up new in October 2020. As you seem to be interested in the problems encountered, I will mention to you that I have experienced a minor issue with the metal piece that covers up the lock. It’s on a spring hinge that no longer closes flush against the lock area. In addition, I have noticed on a few occasions that the struts have sagged a bit and the hatch will creep down from its up position. When this has happened I’ve pushed the hatch back up and it has remained up. As for the lock cover, I tried getting it fixed by a capable mechanic and while they thought they had it licked, the problem soon returned. In the end, I’ve decided that it’s really no big deal and something I can live with.

If you’re interested in my overall opinion, I absolutely dig having the back hatch. Once you’ve got the trailer parked and you’ve got the hatch up, it’s just fantastic to have the openness, big views, and extra air flow. It’s very well built and quite the conversation piece. The only drawback is that you do lose a little interior space in the seat areas as the frame of the hatch does jut into the seat area. So seating is slightly tighter if two are sitting next to each other. It’s also a little more difficult to rest your back against the back of the hatch if you’re looking to kick it. We use a firm pillow to mitigate this.

Is the hatch worth the high cost that Airstream charges? Well that’s for you to decide. All I’ll say is that I don’t regret ordering the hatch and I’d do it again. It makes a pretty cool trailer even cooler.
FCMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 11:58 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2003 25' Safari
Las Vegas , Nevada
Sorry about the mostly irrelevant response. I wasn't aware of the new rear hatch option. When I sell my 2003 I may buy a new AS with the hatch option. In any case my comments about leakage to include the rear window/opening are pertinent and relevant. Never had a problem other than normal wear and tear. "AS IS THE BEST"....👍👍👍
Hannibal01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 06:59 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Southwestern Ontario , Ontario Canada
Send a message via MSN to TRIPPPIN Send a message via Yahoo to TRIPPPIN
We have a 2012 Eddie Bauer 25, now 10 years old. We do not have any leaks. We purchased ours used and the hatch was not on our must have list. Now we have it, we use it a lot for carrying kayaks mainly. Depending on how and where you use it, will determine the practicality of it. If you travel to places where AC is mostly needed it won't be much benefit, but in moderate climates you may. If you want to carry things like kayaks or a small motorcycle it is great. Keep in mind though these things are in you living space while you travel and if you are days on the road it gets to be a pain having to climb over it all. We mainly travel to a destination for extended periods so its OK for us. The previous poster mentioned the interior problems with seating comfort etc. due to the frame protrusion getting in the way. We had difficulty with this and removed the dinette and replaced that with recliners and a small table and its perfect now but for only 2 persons.
TRIPPPIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 10:35 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Fairfield , California
Hi everyone

Thank you for the answer to my question about the rear hatch. You helped us decide that when we order soon it will be on our list.

Have a good night

Eric
Eric. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 07:49 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2021 30' Globetrotter
Oviedo , Florida
My neighbor at the storage yard has a 27' international with a hatch. Saw it last night. He's had it for 9 months now and they really like it. No issues. They did not order it and were waiting for a different model when this one showed up at the dealer and they decided to take this instead of waiting. They are glad they did. As far as I can tell, other than the additional cost, the only thing you lose is the rear seat at the table.
jondrew55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 08:20 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2021 27' International
Fredericksburg , Texas
We have the rear hatch on our 2021 International and have experienced zero water leak. Only issue is the hatch opening mechanism has broke and we can not open it. Most likely an easy fix back at the dealer.
TexasVine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 01:00 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2022 25' International
Savage , Minnesota
Can any of you who have a rear hatch tell me how far back the hatch sticks out when open? Iím wondering how far back it sticks out from the body and/or back bumper. I have a clearance issue behind where it will be parked, and I want to be able to open it when parked for storage. TIA

'64 Safari Resoration Blog ("May"):
https://ts8501.blogspot.com/

TAC MN-6
WBCCI/VAC 11736
AIR 25979
ts8501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 01:12 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2021 27' International
Raleigh , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by ts8501 View Post
Can any of you who have a rear hatch tell me how far back the hatch sticks out when open? Iím wondering how far back it sticks out from the body and/or back bumper. I have a clearance issue behind where it will be parked, and I want to be able to open it when parked for storage. TIA
My guess is about 4 feet when you account for the part hanging over the rear bumper. The hatch itself is a little taller than that - about head height if you are sitting down at the dinette.
Old 09-03-2021, 07:42 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2022 25' International
Savage , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by BT2513 View Post
My guess is about 4 feet when you account for the part hanging over the rear bumper. The hatch itself is a little taller than that - about head height if you are sitting down at the dinette.

That is helpful, but inches will matter, so Iíll still take a closer measurement if someone has it.

'64 Safari Resoration Blog ("May"):
https://ts8501.blogspot.com/

TAC MN-6
WBCCI/VAC 11736
AIR 25979
ts8501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2023, 07:45 PM   #12

2022 25' Flying Cloud
Hobe Sound , Florida
Has anyone had issues with the rear hatch opening from taking the trailer on off camber and twisty road surfaces? We just bought a 2022 25FBT FC and on our 3rd trip out we were in the Blue Ridge Parkway. We had just left a waterfall pit stop when about 2 min down the road the hatch flew open. We were able to pull over and close it. Crazy thing is that it was still latched and locked. We thought maybe someone broke into the trailer while at the rest stop but no signs of forced entry or damage. The door does seam pretty flimsy if you pull on it hard when locked. I wonder if you pulled hard enough if it would open up. After collecting ourselves we checked the contents of the trailer and nothing was missing. We had electronics and valuables inside. So either it got ripped open by a person in a busy parking area but they got spooked and left it alone or the racking and twisting of a crazy road opened it up. Thoughts or experiences?
AlohaCaravan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2023, 01:46 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2022 25' Flying Cloud
Tualatin , Oregon
Hatch projection from above the rear awning, measured from the skin of the trailer: 57". Didn't measure distance from the rear bumper but could if req'd.

Water intrusion? Nope but I do enjoy finding spots down Forest Service gravel roads. I think the hatch could be better sealed for dust. I'm going to try a strip of self-adhesive V-Seal weatherstrip on either side of the hatch to engage the existing foam strip. If that doesn't work as I hope, I suppose I'll just use painter's tape down the vertical edges before I wander off the pavement.

The hatch has been great to have. Our only issue was the supports for pull down screen are not fitted well to the inside skin of the trailer. Of the 6 screws on each side holding the curved wood piece to the rear aluminum L-channel, only 3 on one side and 2 on the other actually screwed into the wood. I asked the factory for a rectangular piece of material and I would scribe and fit it myself. They sent another CNC milled piece that was exactly the same poor fit as the original. My fix was to glue a 3/4" x 3/4" piece of ash to the straight edge and scribe and fit the curved (trailing) edge. Now all 6 screws on both sides bite into the wood!

Steve
TitusNW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2023, 08:40 AM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2021 27' International
Raleigh , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlohaCaravan View Post
Has anyone had issues with the rear hatch opening from taking the trailer on off camber and twisty road surfaces? We just bought a 2022 25FBT FC and on our 3rd trip out we were in the Blue Ridge Parkway. We had just left a waterfall pit stop when about 2 min down the road the hatch flew open. We were able to pull over and close it. Crazy thing is that it was still latched and locked. We thought maybe someone broke into the trailer while at the rest stop but no signs of forced entry or damage. The door does seam pretty flimsy if you pull on it hard when locked. I wonder if you pulled hard enough if it would open up. After collecting ourselves we checked the contents of the trailer and nothing was missing. We had electronics and valuables inside. So either it got ripped open by a person in a busy parking area but they got spooked and left it alone or the racking and twisting of a crazy road opened it up. Thoughts or experiences?

Never had that happen. I did have our hatch realigned recently as it was slightly skewed to one side and the other side latch wasnít catching. No issues with it opening as the other side caught just fine. Guessing maybe someone gave it a really good yank or is it possible you didnít have it fully closed/seated when you latched it the first time?
Old 08-11-2023, 12:04 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2022 25' Flying Cloud
Tualatin , Oregon
Here's the latch on our rig, I can't imagine how the hatch could open if the pins were engaged into the matching side holes.

Steve
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HatchLatch1.jpeg
Views:	31
Size:	93.6 KB
ID:	435340   Click image for larger version

Name:	HatchLatch2.jpeg
Views:	37
Size:	61.2 KB
ID:	435341  

TitusNW is offline   Reply With Quote