Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-06-2017, 04:01 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Watertown , Massachusetts
My door slamming solution

Left – Note how the dead bolt sits after being pushed out using the key and note that it rests right at rubber door seal. This causes the dead bolt to hit the frame of the receiver. Right – I can take my finger and push the dead bolt back towards the inside of the trailer. Notice how much “slop” there is in that dead bolt!

Left – I cut a piece of plexiglass (2” x 3/8”) and slipped it in, but not quite all the way, between the dead bolt and the lock frame– it rests up against the rubber door seal, which helps keep it in place. There is also a little hole drilled in the end in case I need to pull it out at some time. (The plexi is clear and hard to see, so I drew it in with blue lines.) Right – where the dead bolt sits after being pushed out using the key. Now the dead bolt hits it’s receiver every time without slamming the door!

sallye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 04:59 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy 24
Currently Looking...
Milltown , Wisconsin
It would be nice if your pictures worked.
ventport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 05:55 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2014 20' Flying Cloud
What?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ventport View Post
It would be nice if your pictures worked.
I don't know what you mean by "worked".
Old 08-06-2017, 06:03 PM   #4
Air Magic

2018 27' Flying Cloud
GRAEAGLE , California
We can't see your pictures - looks like they did not upload
AirMagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 06:31 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Try again

Trying again:

Picture 1

Picture 2

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Slide1.JPG
Views:	1110
Size:	165.6 KB
ID:	291501   Click image for larger version

Name:	Slide2.JPG
Views:	1105
Size:	135.6 KB
ID:	291502  

Old 08-06-2017, 06:43 PM   #6
Reads a lot

2017 30' Classic
Titusville , Florida
Now we can see the photos. Thank you for sharing.

She Believed She Could so She Did.
kendrick.l.j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 03:17 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2017 30' International
Cumming , Georgia
Had the same problem

I have a 2017 International and I was having a hard time getting my door to close properly. You had to really slam it to get it to fully latch. This was especially hard to do from inside the trailer . Also my dead bolt would not latch. It seemed to be just a little out of alignment such that it would not extend all the way out as it was not lined up with the hole in the door jam . I took my trailer back to my dealer, Southland RV in Atlanta. They were great!
My door latch had a bent plate inside that they replaced off a new AS on their lot. That solved the problem of having to slam the door.
The deadbolt was out of alignment due to how it's made. My technician took my deadbolt mechanism out of the door and showed me what this issue was. The sliding part of the mechanism, the bolt, is held in place by 4 bent tabs that are not bent enough as they come from the factory.
The tech said he sees this a lot and has notified AS. With the deadbolt assembly out of the door you can pound those 4 tabs down a bit more which will keep the bolt over about a quarter inch which allows it to slide into the slot in the door jam. The tech said all you have to do is slam the door with the deadbolt extended once and it will cause it to shift over just enough so it won't line up with the hole when the door is closed. The only way to fix this problem correctly is to remove the deadbolt assembly from the door. Once it's out you will see the problem.
Good luck!
Scott59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 03:26 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott59 View Post
. . .
The tech said all you have to do is slam the door with the deadbolt extended once and it will cause it to shift over just enough so it won't line up with the hole when the door is closed.
. . .
FWIW I remember reading this on another thread here, which might also be helpful in resolving the problem. I will look for that thread.

sallye, do you remember ever slamming the door with the deadbolt extended out? We have the same 2014 FC20.

Thanks,

Peter

PS -- Here are the search results for "deadbolt adjustment" FYI:
https://www.google.com/search?q=dead...=airforums.com

PS2 -- YouTube videos which might help: https://www.google.com/search?q=yout...utf-8&oe=utf-8
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote