Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-13-2011, 04:09 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Johnson City , Texas
Unhappy Missing screws? on window knobs

I have a new 2012 AS and I was wondering why all my window knobs seem loose. I think there is supposed to be a small screw in the bottom of knob to help hold it onto rod. (?)

I called Airstream and they thought they were not using screws anymore, but never called me back to verify. (how are knobs supposed to hold on without these little screws?)

My dealer said they would order them, but that was over a month ago, and I am still waiting.

Anyone else with a newer AS have this problem? maybe I am the only one missing all my screws! I can pull the knobs right off and am afraid to loose one.
screamstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 04:33 PM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by screamstream View Post
I have a new 2012 AS and I was wondering why all my window knobs seem loose. I think there is supposed to be a small screw in the bottom of knob to help hold it onto rod. (?)

I called Airstream and they thought they were not using screws anymore, but never called me back to verify. (how are knobs supposed to hold on without these little screws?)

My dealer said they would order them, but that was over a month ago, and I am still waiting.

Anyone else with a newer AS have this problem? maybe I am the only one missing all my screws! I can pull the knobs right off and am afraid to loose one.
The newer knobs are friction fit plastic, with no screws. If yours do get loose, they are pretty inexpensive to replace.
Old 10-13-2011, 04:41 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Johnson City , Texas
Thanks for info, BUT I have do have holes in the knobs, seemingly where the screws go. The AS is only a few months old...I surely should not have to replace knobs already...darn, wonder if screws would fit to help my wiggly knobs. I love to have windows open!
screamstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 04:57 PM   #4
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by screamstream View Post
Thanks for info, BUT I have do have holes in the knobs, seemingly where the screws go. The AS is only a few months old...I surely should not have to replace knobs already...darn, wonder if screws would fit to help my wiggly knobs. I love to have windows open!
The new knobs have no screws. They are friction-fit only. Trust me on this.
Old 09-05-2013, 11:18 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Olympic Peninsula , WA
It's a really poor design. You can get set screws that fit the threaded insert, but when you tighten them up it just drives the insert out of the plastic knob.

Until AS gets tired of hearing complaints about window knobs falling off new trailers and does something about it, a dab of clear silicone will secure them.
DoubleNickel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 05:35 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Screamstream - same for us. 2012 Flying Cloud. Window "knobs" have screw holes (brass taps?) in them but no screws. Maybe they SHOULD be tension fit but that's not what they used in our trailer. I'm thinking of bringing one to Home Depot and getting a bunch of screws.
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 10:57 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Olympia , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSueMac View Post
Screamstream - same for us. 2012 Flying Cloud. Window "knobs" have screw holes (brass taps?) in them but no screws. Maybe they SHOULD be tension fit but that's not what they used in our trailer. I'm thinking of bringing one to Home Depot and getting a bunch of screws.
Mine are the same way. I was at the dealer yesterday and asked about them. The parts guy knew exactly what I was talking about and had a stash of the set screws. He said there's no part number for them and that sometimes airstream would send them with the knobs, sometimes not. I'll install them when I find my teeny tiny allen wrench.

2014 Ram 2500 CTD
Pro Pride
Centramatics
daveswenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 12:17 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
I have mentioned this on 2 other threads. Mine are the same way. I even mentioned it to Dave Schuman in Jackson Center.
I am of the understanding that older trailers had the set screws.
Do they really save much money on manufacturing by leaving them out?
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 12:32 PM   #9
Zia
3 Rivet Member

2011 23' FB International
2007 20' Safari
Irvine , California
Have the same problem with mine, the dealer gave me a few set screws which I used on the windows used more frequently. The press fit knobs get loose with use particularly on large windows where you have to use extra force.
Zia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 12:59 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
I was a bit perplexed with one. We don't have the set screws but neither do we have any problems with knobs falling off. Clearly we don't open the windows enough!

"You can't tow that with that!"

https://sites.google.com/view/towedhaul/home
MrUKToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 03:00 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2012 30' International
Vintage Kin Owner
Bad Axe , Michigan
We have the same problem. When I called Jackson Center I was told they don't use them any more. I told them the knobs keep coming off and I was told to glue them on.
We didn't glue them on. I just say bad things when one comes off while trying to open a window.
1977 31' International Sovereign - sold
2012 Ford F250 Superduty Crewcab

WBCCI# 1007 Air#2158
dkrug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 04:18 PM   #12
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkrug View Post
I told them the knobs keep coming off and I was told to glue them on.
Might be able to use Loctite thread locker, for a less-permanent solution. Threadlockers from Loctite Products | Threadlocking / Mechanical Gasketing | Loctite Adhesives
Old 09-06-2013, 05:26 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1977 23' Safari
Niagara on the Lake , Ontario
I m sure glad I bought my 36 year old Safari instead of a new trailer, nothing has fallen of the Safari, and I would be beyond angry if I had spent 10 times the money on a new trailer and had parts falling off!
AldeanFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 05:27 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1977 23' Safari
Niagara on the Lake , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkrug View Post
We have the same problem. When I called Jackson Center I was told they don't use them any more. I told them the knobs keep coming off and I was told to glue them on.
We didn't glue them on. I just say bad things when one comes off while trying to open a window.
They really said that!

new trailers should not need to be glued back together
AldeanFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 10:38 PM   #15
FunderStreaming

1999 28' Excella
Seattle , Washington
Window Knobs

I had a couple of the gray plastic knobs pull off while opening stuck windows. The set screws were not tight enough. I tried new set screws. You can buy the set screws at Home Depot or Lowes. Take a knob with you to size the threading properly... be sure to buy a hex wrench that fits the set screw (or 2), as they wiggle loose eventually.

I then tried a different approach - I removed the metal push rods going out to the windows (after you remove the 2 window screw attachments, the rod just twists and goes out the opening on the side of the window). Then, I used a tap & die set to cut threads the round end of the rod. I held the rod steady in a vice grip, for threading, using cutting oil. Then I sanded and painted the rods, re-installed them on the window, and then screwed on new small round pewter (handles) for the window knob. It's really sturdy, and cannot pull off, and looks pretty good. I actually used "newels (sp?) that hold lamp shades onto lamps (about $3 each) for the knobs.

If you try this, do not thread down too far on the rod, as it might interfere with closing the window all the way, if the knob is threaded too far down on the rod, it can bump against the window frame when the window is closed, due to the angle of the rod.

Old 10-22-2013, 05:06 AM   #16
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Wink OMG...the Bashers are back.

Pickypickypicky......get used to it, just the way JC rolls.
You'll love your transfer switch and "no stage" P-lax.
Don't forget to up-grade your running gear for 3k+.

"We don't make changes, we make improvements"......

The counter's of the bean rule!

Bob
Old 01-18-2014, 09:16 AM   #17
insearchoffun

Currently Looking...
Mesa , Arizona
Experiencing the same thing with the knobs coming off when trying to open a window on our 2012 Classic. The knobs have brass threads but are without set screws. I purchased a couple small phillips screws to test our front side window. The brass insert comes out when tightening the screw very much and there is no indentation in the rod the knob is on for the screw to set in. Bottom line is the screw was little or no help. Next step is to drill a shallow hole in the rod and try the screw again. If that works better, will drill all the rods and get regular set screws. If it doesn't work, will go with some type of glue to hold them firm. Because the windows stick to the molding when not used for a few days, the knobs are needed.
exallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 04:44 PM   #18
insearchoffun

Currently Looking...
Mesa , Arizona
Decided to bite the bullet and came up with another solution. Actually removed all the window rods from our 9 windows and threaded the ends. They slip out by removing one nut from the mounting bracket.

Had to make a several file strokes to get them rounded and ready for a 1/4x20 die. Ordered 18 black coupling nuts from Enco at $1.58 each. I think they worked out quite nicely. The pictures show a rod after being threaded and the rod re-installed with the coupling nut. I sprayed on a little black paint to touch them up before re-installing.

Old 04-14-2014, 11:06 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Olympic Peninsula , WA
Great solution. I'm going to try something similar on mine, I'm tired of the handles pulling off every time I try to open a window.
DoubleNickel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 11:36 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Don't really need to pull on them, just push and lift. The considerable weight brings them back down to sit in the detents or close. Lube the window seals and the detent channels with silicon or 303 Protectant as needed so they don't stick.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote