Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-21-2013, 03:58 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1962 24' Tradewind
Tucson , Arizona
Louvered Aluminum Vented Doors

Does anybody have suggestions for where to get louvered polished aluminum panels for venting the fridge? VTS has some that are too small, and Inland RV has one for $37, which I would need to add a hinge and lock to. Does anybody know of a place to get various sizes in polished aluminum for a reasonable price?

Thanks!
aluminitus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 05:00 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Currently Looking...
Durango , Colorado
There are any number of race car fabrication shops in and around Indy that probably do panels while you wait. Also check with hot rod builders and speed shops in your area for the names of guys with louver punches. My brother and I have our own punch and do more than a few RV access doors for locals.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00018.JPG
Views:	164
Size:	543.4 KB
ID:	177144  
Denis4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 12:10 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1962 24' Tradewind
Tucson , Arizona
Thanks! Any chance you would be willing to do two doors for a non-local?
Old 01-22-2013, 02:14 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Just a word of caution: we had our fridge hatch door louvered on our '72. However, the aluminum skin is quite hard, and does not stretch very well. Every louver has a small crack on each side. Fortuantily, the cracks do not seem to affect the structural integrity of the louvers, and you need to be really close to see them. I tried experimenting with filling them, and vulkum makes them disappear completely, but I have not removed the plasti-coat/clear coat or tried to polish it at all. You can see a picture of it here in post 280:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f185...-50967-20.html

No idea if the door skins on your '62 would handle being louvered better or not. Even with the small cracks, I'm happy I did it.

If you want a close-up of the cracks, let me know.

Chris
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 02:23 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Currently Looking...
Durango , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minno View Post
Just a word of caution: we had our fridge hatch door louvered on our '72. However, the aluminum skin is quite hard, and does not stretch very well. Every louver has a small crack on each side. Fortuantily, the cracks do not seem to affect the structural integrity of the louvers, and you need to be really close to see them. I tried experimenting with filling them, and vulkum makes them disappear completely, but I have not removed the plasti-coat/clear coat or tried to polish it at all. You can see a picture of it here in post 280:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f185...-50967-20.html

No idea if the door skins on your '62 would handle being louvered better or not. Even with the small cracks, I'm happy I did it.

If you want a close-up of the cracks, let me know.

Chris
It sounds like there may have been some die alignment issues. The door panels and hood are both aluminum. Sorry, We don't deal with shipping as the freight and crating ended up costing more than the job price.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC02424.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	227.2 KB
ID:	177233   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02394.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	164.6 KB
ID:	177234  

Denis4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 02:26 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1960 28' Ambassador
Vintage Kin Owner
1998 25' Safari
Avonton , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by aluminitus View Post
Does anybody have suggestions for where to get louvered polished aluminum panels for venting the fridge? VTS has some that are too small, and Inland RV has one for $37, which I would need to add a hinge and lock to. Does anybody know of a place to get various sizes in polished aluminum for a reasonable price?

Thanks!
Saw this just today on David Winick's site.
vintage airstream and other classic travel trailers
1950 Spartan
Shacksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 05:17 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1962 24' Tradewind
Tucson , Arizona
Thanks for the info. I think I found a company on e-bay that may be able to make what I need out of non alclad aluminum.

Denis - Beautiful work! I figured it was worth a try
Shacksman - Maybe I can just buy David Winick and have him finish my trailer! His work is truly heirloom quality.
Old 02-15-2013, 07:30 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1962 24' Tradewind
Tucson , Arizona
Fridge Access Door - The Outcome

Here's an update. I used the standard aluminum door that is made by the company that we will buy the fridge from. I took it out of the frame, polished the frame, sandblasted the door, then sanded it with 400 grit sandpaper, then used nuvite on it, riveted it back onto the frame and installed it. It isn't perfect, but for a $13 door I am pretty pleased.

Name:	IMG_9944.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	389.3 KB
ID:	179026
Old 03-22-2013, 10:31 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1960 24' Tradewind
St. Albans , Vermont
Looks fantastic! Where did you get your $13 dollar aluminum door frame? It looks like a lot of work to get rid of the white, but SO worth it!
Old 03-22-2013, 07:11 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1962 24' Tradewind
Tucson , Arizona
Thanks 2vets! I got the door through my father in law's RV business, and I think he ordered it through Norcold/Thetford.