Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-13-2017, 11:03 AM   #1

1957 26' Overlander
Grass valley , California
Looking for door options

Hello!

I was referred to this community by airstream, for a problem that occurred at 3am this morning. Somewhere between tank 1 and tank 2 (about 220 miles) of a trip to Los Angeles in my 1957 overlander, I hit a series of potholes so deep and severe that my drinks shot out of the cup holders, and my dashcam ripped off the glass.

At the gas station filling up/cleaning, I walked around the Airstream to check the tires/suspension.

To my shock and horror, my door was gone, hinges, and all.

The door opens "suicide" and my best guess is that the shock popped the lock latch and the door caught the wind and ripped off the hinges with it.

After about an hour on the phone, it seems that the door is made of unobtainium.

Questions:

1. Does anyone know the year interchange that would fit a 1957 overlander ?

2. Does anyone have one for sale?

3. Has anyone made a custom door for that year if they were unable to get an original?

4 Did anyone see a door on the side of i5?

....having a serious case of the mondays

Any direction is greatly appreciated, thank you!
fab50s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 11:33 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Bet the folks behind you had to stop and change their underwear.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 11:48 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1960 33' Custom
Athens , Georgia
I don't have any great solution to the sucky day. Finding another similar door will naturally be your easiest route to go but if that fails making a new door wouldn't be impossible just difficult, (actually surprisingly difficult) I was offered a door last year that would work for you so I think they are out there just rare and spendy. Good luck.